• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indy 440 sr heads

Heimedw

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is running this head? If so any feedback on them? Also in the description it says uses 440-10 external oil kit. Just wondering what this is and is it mandatory to use?

The difference between SR and -1 is the SR is standard port window. Unported they are at best, OK. Ported to Max Wedge they're pretty good. But by then you might as well go to -1. For standard port window. Trick Flow may be a better choice.
Doug

I would like to run a trick flow 240 but I have a 64 polara and it looks like I have to run a raised exhaust post head to run a header bigger that 1 3/4 primary. I'm going to build a b block 400. If anyone know s a 1 7/8 or 2 inch header that will fit a 64 b body with a b block post it please.

Guys I've talked to says TTI 's fit well. I know the Hooker Super Comps I run were designed for a standard height exhaust port. I had to move 1 tube.
Doug

I am going with the tti's but it looks like on their site I can only go with 13/4 primary with standard port heads?

SR’s are decent heads, but really need some rework.
Before some the newer options arrived on the scene they were quite popular.

Properly prepped, they’re still very capable heads.

Last edited:
I am going with the tti's but it looks like on their site I can only go with 13/4 primary with standard port heads?
I have 1 7/8" primary tube diameter TTi headers on stock 452 heads on my 440+6 in my 70 Roadrunner if that helps.
As far as I know, and TTi knew what I was installing the headers on, everything lines up fine. I installed the headers myself.
Is there some kind of misalignment I should be concerned about that I could be missing somehow?

It says in the description for 62-65 b body's wanting to run a low deck b block that you can only run a 1 3/4 primary on a standard port head. If you run a rb block you are ok. Then if you go into the 1 7/8 it only fits 66 and later b bodys

Sounds like -1’s or SR’s are the way to go On a low deck. SR’s are kind of sorry out of the box. Several people that can port them, mine are still standard port and done by MCH. Although their program was a little aggressive and I had to have them welded back up in the pinch point area. Are you building a stroker? If not that kind of changes things. Stock stroke probably a set of SR’s with just some clean up blending.​

Ya I'm doing a 512 from a 400 so I have been debating on what way to go? Go standard port heads like to 240 with the 13/4 headers that won't Have enough flow! Or the sr heads that I can port and run a 2" primary. I want to stay as stock looking to a 383 as possible true sleeper. The sr heads have that oil feed line and it says something about a spacer has to be used to run a stock valley pan. I'm going to call tti and find out the scoop for sure.

Oil lines are not a big deal at all. Either are the spacers if you decide to go that route. Once you blow their doors off they won’t buy it being stock stroke anyway. I’ve told a few people mine was a 383 with a six pack.

85B09FD3-E658-496E-8161-1AB05D719C88.jpeg

Ya I'm doing a 512 from a 400 so I have been debating on what way to go? Go standard port heads like to 240 with the 13/4 headers that won't Have enough flow! Or the sr heads that I can port and run a 2" primary. I want to stay as stock looking to a 383 as possible true sleeper. The sr heads have that oil feed line and it says something about a spacer has to be used to run a stock valley pan. I'm going to call tti and find out the scoop for sure.

You might be over thinking it. How much power are you trying to make? My engine makes around 600 hp and I use cast iron manifolds. So the 1 3/4 headers with the 240 heads should work just fine for you. Is this a street car or a drag race only car? If it is a street car then 1 3/4 will be fine. Have you seen the FAST guys run 10's with cast iron manifolds and full exhaust systems? Even the Schumacher tri y headers will work at 600+ hp.

DSC_2882 (Large).JPG

Ya I would be more than happy with 600hp. My build is 400/512ci comp cam roller 252/258 at .50 and 571 lift 110 degree running 1.6 Harland sharp roller rockers that will take me over 600 lift, edelbrock rpm duel plane and a 950 quickfuel q series. Double roller timing chain mildon oil pan. The car is for street use...but it will be drove!

The part I don't like is I bet I give up a easy 50hp with just the difference in header size.

Last edited:
I doubt that the difference between 1 3/4 headers and 2 inch headers on that engine is anything close to 50 hp. If the exhaust system is the same in both cases I bet there is basically zero difference in RWHP between the two header sizes.

Put it together with the 1 3/4 headers and see how it does. My car makes 485 hp at the rear tires with the cast iron manifolds. I'm also 512 inches with a 246 hyd roller cam. I'd be interested if your car makes more RWHP than mine even though I have a smaller cam and cast iron manifolds.

The headers aren't super critical when you have a full exhaust system behind them, especially with a dual plane intake. You already have things bottled up a bit on the intake side with that intake so the exhaust side isn't going to be so sensitive.

Run it on an engine dyno before it goes in the car. Borrow a couple sets of headers and see what it does. I doubt you see more than 15 hp difference. What you really want on that car is a 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 and maybe a third step to 2 inch if you are using a 3 inch exhaust system. But those headers would cost you $2000 to have built. A set of custom headers like that might pick up 20 or 25 rwhp thru the exhaust system but then again they might not.

I saw a 13hp difference peak to peak on my 480hp 383 going from 1-3/4x3 to 1-7/8x3.
In the upper rpms there were points where it was 20hp+.

There were only a few lines down near the beginning of the pull where the 1-3/4” made more tq than the 1-7/8”....... and it was only a couple of ft/lbs.

If I was building for 600hp with a 511, I wouldn’t be using 1-3/4” headers.

Last edited:
I might be bit high at saying 50hp but the more cubes and more hp you make the little things make a bigger difference.

383 test.

It would make sense that there would be a bigger difference if that same test were done on a 511 making 600hp +/-......... depending on what parts were chosen to get you there.

2BC20FE9-928A-4DF8-8846-047A6FD6E92A.jpeg

Funny the 13/4 with 3.5 pipes hurt the numbers interesting!

Auto Transport Service
Back