• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake gasket big block

Volksnut

Local time
11:46 AM
Reaction score
Aluminum intake install, Felpro steel valley pan only with rtv on ends or use both gaskets with it. I've seen and read it done both ways.

The steel pan is designed to be used by itself. I believe they include the other gaskets to bandaid angle/fitment issues.

Or do you mean the end cork gaskets. Forget those, rtv - ultra black is good

Mock it up, since you are changing parts from original factory stuff. Literally consider it uncharted waters and look very carefully at the fit without the bathtub or gaskets and decide if there is any gap that will need to be made up...... Sometimes you may need a paper gasket on one side or both sides of the bathtub, sometimes nothing but the tub. HTH, Lefty71

Thanks I'll mock it up,

Grab yourself a good penlight and look at the bolt holes into the head to give a clue at how well the alignment is going to be with a given gasket choice.... high, low, etc.

Usually mocking up the manifold without the gasket, the cylinder bolt hole will be near the top of the intake manifold bolt hole and when adding the gasket thickness the intake comes up and the manifold bolt hole will be centered around the cylinder bolt hole.
If on mockup the cylinder head bolt hole is low in the intake manifold bolt hole, adding gasket thickness will raise the manifold too high to install the manifold bolts, and the manifold will need to be milled to fit (or the head intake surface.)

I like to pre set / mock up the tin , set it on then set the intake down and push down by hand.
I think it helps get everything lined up before rtv on the end bars and of you need to add a gasket .
As to the question , I like having one set of paper gaskets between the aluminum and steel pan.

I just used the valley pan, a few days ago i did a pressure check on my intake to confirm i have no vacuum leaks and did not find any leaks.
Before installation I checked with a feeler gauge to see if there is any gap on the bottom side, just install the manifold on the block without any gaskets and check.
If you find the bottom side has an excessive gap you might have to use the additional gasket.

Auto Transport Service
Back