• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior door panel removal help

440plus6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
I have searched this topic without success, so I'll ask the folks that would know best. How does one properly remove the rear upper pad and door card without damaging either? I know these are likely a dumb questions, but I have zero experience with it. Also, if someone has a photo of the carpet being properly secured in place by the sill plate and proper orientation of the aluminum retainer piece, I'd greatly appreciate it. My carpet was installed by a butcher, it was tucked up under the rear door cards and poorly installed around the firewall as well. Again, any photos you have of it done the proper way would be super appreciated.

Gracias

I am not sure what you are working on, but the following technique worked on my '67 and '70:
The rear door panel is attached to the body by metal clips that run along the back side of front vertical edge of the door panel. The rear door panel is also held in place across the top and bottom by the pieces of stainless trim. Remove the arm rest, window crank, and back seat. There is a small aluminum piece, about 10" long that runs along the bottom of the door card that fastens to the floor, remove it. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a set of their pry tools, (see attached link and picture). Insert the tapered end of the pry tool under the front edge of the rear door panel. Start at the bottom and work your way up. The clips should stay attached to the door panel and should pop right out of the mounting holes in the body. Once all of the clips have been popped out of the body, pull the bottom edge of the door panel away from the body and slip the top edge out of the stainless trim piece. The stainless trim piece at the top of the door panel as well as the painted metal piece at the base of the rear side window do not need to be removed from the body. Hope this helps.

https://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-pry-bar-installer-kit-4-piece-63594.html

63594_I.jpg

I’m guessing you already have the rear seat cushion removed from the car. The door card won’t come out without doing so. First, the vinyl windlace strip along the door opening needs to be pulled off. There are clips along the front edge of the panel. The top of the panel is usually retained under the lip of the upper SS trim strip. The lower edge of the panel is supposed to fit in a shallow groove in the wire harness metal cover at the rocker, but some replacement panels are a little too long to fit in it. Of course the arm rest and window crank have to come off. The clips will look like one of these. A wide flat, plastic tool like RT6PK showed above usually work. You want to gently pry to locate the clip and slide the tool directly under the clip and then pry/pop it out of the hole. Ih the tool is not under the clip you risk tearing the backer on the panel which may then not hold the clip and may create cause other damage.

IMG_2073.jpeg

Chargers have a more elaborate pad at the top than my Plymouths so I’m not sure of how they remove. Most likely the panel has to come off first and that may reveal a row of sheet metal screws retaining the SS trim and possibly the sill cap.

Good luck.

I’m guessing you already have the rear seat cushion removed from the car. The door card won’t come out without doing so. First, the vinyl windlace strip along the door opening needs to be pulled off. There are clips along the front edge of the panel. The top of the panel is usually retained under the lip of the upper SS trim strip. The lower edge of the panel is supposed to fit in a shallow groove in the wire harness metal cover at the rocker, but some replacement panels are a little too long to fit in it. Of course the arm rest and window crank have to come off. The clips will look like one of these. A wide flat, plastic tool like RT6PK showed above usually work. You want to gently pry to locate the clip and slide the tool directly under the clip and then pry/pop it out of the hole. Ih the tool is not under the clip you risk tearing the backer on the panel which may then not hold the clip and may create cause other damage.

View attachment 1736525
Chargers have a more elaborate pad at the top than my Plymouths so I’m not sure of how they remove. Most likely the panel has to come off first and that may reveal a row of sheet metal screws retaining the SS trim and possibly the sill cap.

Good luck.
I needed a couple of the far left clips. Upholstery guy gave me a couple used on VW’s, looked identical. FYI

I apologize, it's a 1969 Charger. Could someone send a picture of the of the sill plate installed with the aluminum retainer piece as well correctly oriented?

I have been struggling with a badly butchered carpet some dill hole literally destroyed, had it tucked everywhere but where it should have been so I am taking nothing for granted on these retainers and how they should properly be installed.

Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated

Auto Transport Service
Back