• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

intermittently dies at idle and backfires

Geff McCarthy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:36 PM
Reaction score
Perioldically, my 63 Fury 400 dies at idle and refuses to run for 5-15 min, then cures itself. It will only run with rapid accel pump shots. did it today on the way to have my new vert top installed!
I don't think it is vapor lock, as the temp in PDX this am was 70! My fuel pressure gauge acts curiously: sometimes on shut down it reads 0, other times it holds the set pressure, and even decreases the hold pressure when I change the setting. Could it be carb floats? I assume when the bowls are full, the intake valves are closed, and the line pressure is maintained. I think the timing is ok at maybe 15-35. The carb is an Eddy 650 which i rebuilt twice. Any help greatly appreciated.

Perioldically, my 63 Fury 400 dies at idle and refuses to run for 5-15 min, then cures itself. It will only run with rapid accel pump shots. did it today on the way to have my new vert top installed!
I don't think it is vapor lock, as the temp in PDX this am was 70! My fuel pressure gauge acts curiously: sometimes on shut down it reads 0, other times it holds the set pressure, and even decreases the hold pressure when I change the setting. Could it be carb floats? I assume when the bowls are full, the intake valves are closed, and the line pressure is maintained. I think the timing is ok at maybe 15-35. The carb is an Eddy 650 which i rebuilt twice. Any help greatly appreciated.
Change the coil and if still equipped with points/con denser, replace the condenser too. BTW....what engine?
BOB RENTON

thanks, Bob will do ASAP. It has the replacement MOPAR orange electronic ign. Truck 400, low compression I think.

Probably as Bob suggested. I once leaned out the jetting in the carb on my Corvette too much and it started randomly backfiring through the carb at idle or when trying to take off from a stop. Just throwing that out in case you have played with the jets recently.

Thanks, GTX. I like your mantra, too. I once met Mandiba's personal pilot, who was also a Flight Surgeon. Wonderful stories of the Great Man.

Check to see if the carb is has fuel. Next time it stalls, operate the throttle while watching that the acc pump nozzle squirts a shot of fuel into each primary barrel.

Auto Transport Service
Back