• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a pad shim?

JR_Charger

Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
I've never seen anything like it. The wear depth gauge is on the front of the pad, so this ain't it. It looks like, when installed, it would fold over and touch the rotor. And/or keep the pad pressed against the rotor. The caliper it's going into is the rotating piston type, so I'm guessing this would go into a notch on the piston as well. If it wasn't labor day, I'd call the manufacturer's tech support, but it is. Hopefully someone on the forum knows so I can get the brakes together.

scarebird_brake_install_19_big_pad_clip_1.JPG

Anti rattle clip. It is half of what clips it to the inside of the piston to prevent it from rattling when not applied.

That's an anti-rattle spring. It will fit snuggly into the piston when you install the pads.

Anti rattle clip. It is half of what clips it to the inside of the piston to prevent it from rattling when not applied.

Is this clip the other half?

scarebird_brake_install_08.JPG

I don't believe the clips will go into that type of piston set up. The clips are for plain, hollow pistons, from what I know.

This is the type of piston I'm referring to:

Screenshot_20240902_125332_Chrome.jpg

Not sure, this is new stuff. I was referring to older OEM parts. I would have to see how it all installs to determine the setup. The clip might go into the narrow slot at 6 O'clock in your pic to prevent the piston from turning affecting adjustment. The circular clip might just be to keep the seal on the piston??

I think you have the wrong pads. What the hell is that caliper from anyway?

Not sure, this is new stuff. I was referring to older OEM parts. I would have to see how it all installs to determine the setup. The clip might go into the narrow slot at 6 O'clock in your pic to prevent the piston from turning affecting adjustment. The circular clip might just be to keep the seal on the piston??

The circular clip slips over the pad and helps hold it in place.

I think you have the wrong pads. What the hell is that caliper from anyway?

85 Cadillac Eldorado. It's used a lot in rear disc conversions because of the parking brake setup. Even trucks use it. This is something Scarebird came up with for our cars.

I don't believe the clips will go into that type of piston set up. The clips are for plain, hollow pistons, from what I know.

This is the type of piston I'm referring to:

View attachment 1720786

Well, the pads fit the caliper and look like what I've seen in various YouTube videos about this conversion. The only thing different is the anti-rattle clip. It does look like it's designed for the hollow cylinder. RockAuto may have had the wrong part listed. Maybe I should cut the clip off?

Looks like front pads. What part number pads?

Powerstop Z26-154. RockAuto says they fit front or rear.

If anyone's curious, here are the calipers.
Looks like you have a mis-match of parts. Myself I would of dumped the garbage you are trying to use now as there are better options out there. No doubt Scarebird dumped that conversion because of the issues.

IIRC Scarebird went under during covid and came back with fewer products.

Lots of classic cars and trucks use the 85 Eldorado caliper in rear disc brake conversions. Looking on Rock Auto, there are many manufacturers and remanufacturers - some of the calipers have hollow pistons, other have the style in my Drive Star calipers.

Some of the pads have what looks to be an optional anti-rattle clip -

Screenshot_20240902_140549.jpeg

I'm guessing that I'll be fine if I cut the anti-rattle clip off.

In the long run, I'm going to replace this 72 8 1/4 rear end with something better. I doubt these brakes will carry over to the new rear end.

Those GM E body rear calipers were junk back in the day. If you don't regularly use the Emergency brake, the pistons freeze up on the adjusting screw causing a low pedal and poor braking performance.

Auto Transport Service
Back