• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its running a little rough...

I noticed the fuel line going over op the distributor and advance unit. Not ideal
Glad you got it figured out as for the backfiring issues
I'm thrilled I got the backfiring (after-fire) fixed and under control.

The fuel line caught my attention also. Not only is the routing from the mechanical pump terrible, but there is also an electric pump in the rear?!?

Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick... loudest fuel pump I've ever heard. I need to look and see what's up with the fuel pressure and the extra pump.

I'm thrilled I got the backfiring (after-fire) fixed and under control.

The fuel line caught my attention also. Not only is the routing from the mechanical pump terrible, but there is also an electric pump in the rear?!?

Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick... loudest fuel pump I've ever heard. I need to look and see what's up with the fuel pressure and the extra pump.
The extra electric pump may be nice for priming the system. Seems like a lot of these cars will have the fuel evaporate out of the float bowls and bleed back from the pump after sitting for a while. Might have to do with the modern gas we have these days too. The electric pump will help with starts I’m sure. Maybe just find a quieter one and leave it plumbed in and don’t use it when it running on mechanical. If the mechanical fails you also have a back up….

Typical set. 1/2 90's and half straight boots.
I'm all about originality. I'm past the age of buying go-fast parts, and this car isn't going to see the track.

What's the go-to source for OEM-type replacements?

Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick... loudest fuel pump I've ever heard.
Sounds like a worn fuel pump pushrod.
You shouldn't hear it at all.
If so it's a bad thing and needs to be corrected.

And if it were myself I'd put the old plugs in it and throw the Autolites in the trash.

Great post and great tech/Investigative work and certainly shows you sort of know what your doing...Very refreshing!
Thanks for posting...watching for updates...nice car by the way!
Thanks. That's a good-looking profile pic btw.

Sounds like a worn fuel pump pushrod.
You shouldn't hear it at all.
If so it's a bad thing and needs to be corrected.

And if it were myself I'd put the old plugs in it and throw the Autolites in the trash.
The electric fuel pump is the noisy one. If I can free up a lift this weekend, I'll take a look and see what's going on back there. Between this pump and the DP carb that sits downstream from it, there's likely going to need to be some changes.

The Autolites can stay for now. They're working fine, and my hands can't take any more abuse. I'll keep the others as spares.

While you're at it, if that engine is anywhere in the neighborhood of a stock build, hook that
distributor advance to ported vacuum - as Ma intended.
For Ma
Image 4-20-24, 10.36.45 AM.jpg

If you've never seen these, I highly recommend. They're Bluetooth and iPhone/Android compatible, from a company called ThinkCar.

They will tell do a check of battery health, start system test, charging health test, and generate a test record.

Seems like I'm overcharging a bit, but we'll come back to that (not shown in pic).

Image 4-20-24, 10.36.28 AM.jpg

I think I'm going to have to call it on trying to adjust this DP carb. It's just pig rich.

I suspect this carb, and the electric fuel pump out back, have a story to tell.

I'm sure it's fine for the track, but as a street carb with an automatic trans, not so much. I should have a vac secondary carb hiding somewhere in the garage, so maybe I can swap these out (if it runs?).

The above being said, I have been looking for something to put EFI on...

Image 4-19-24, 4.11.54 PM.jpg

Just remember, a " Double Pumper" as well as a vacuum secondary, AND efi, should all be able to idle just fine ... it's all in the hands of the tuner. The DP has 4 corner mixing adjustments too..

Just remember, a " Double Pumper" as well as a vacuum secondary, AND efi, should all be able to idle just fine ... it's all in the hands of the tuner. The DP has 4 corner mixing adjustments too..
For sure. This carb does idle just fine now btw.

Getting this carb set up for cruising would be more work than just the adjusting the ide mixture screws, however. Been there, done that.

Regardless of how it idles, this carb has a rich stumble (lazy acceleration), and that's likely a pump nozzle issue. They probably need to go down a size.

I'm not going to go through the trouble messing with metering jets, pump nozzles and power valves when I already have something better sitting on the shelf.

Last edited:
This should work just fine (at least it did a few weeks ago).

Goodbye shiny go-fast parts.

Image 4-20-24, 4.35.36 PM.jpg

All I can do is provide the manufacturers' own information to you.
What you choose to do (or ignore) is up to you.
I do appreciate any and all advice; don't get me wrong.

This IS the manufacturers' own information for a Brawler Series carb. It's a snippet directly from the installation instructions. There is a timed spark port at the base, and one at the side of the primary metering block.

1713666492498.png

1713666283636.png

The 4160 is much, much, better.

Smooth idle, good throttle response, not overly rich. The Brawler was just not the right carb. Could it have worked? Probably. Did I care to figure it out, No.

I do have some concerns about the dual fuel pumps, however. Something seems wonky with the pressure (hence the gauge).

Image 4-21-24, 9.18.44 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Junk in the trunk!

Looks like the PO had left me a present. The original Holley with steel fuel lines came with the car. I never looked in the trunk until I needed to replace a taillight.

Oh well; I guess I'll put this one up on the shelf with the Brawler, in case I need it for something later.

I still think there's an issue with the fuel pressure. I'll take a better look later. We finally got it up on a lift, so I can see the electric pump in the rear. The starter relay had died in the process of moving the car, so it took a few minutes to sort out.

Image 4-23-24, 8.11.05 AM.jpg

First time looking underneath. Probably would have been a good idea to do this up front, but opportunities are opportunities. Fortunately, I was pretty lucky. For the most part.

Looks like the passenger side muffler didn't appreciate the plug wires being installed in the wrong order.

Image 4-23-24, 11.01.50 AM.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back