• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jag fan clutch and fixed fan

..hello Funship32

caled Hayden today... talked to a sales man first...he connected me to a guy "Markus " ...spoke on his mailbox... and after 2 hours he called me back ! I Explained "our " problem to him, and told him, that there are so many Mopar Drivers around, having cooling issuesbecause of the wrong fan clutch ! He sayed that many used the 2765 JAG Clutch...and he also thinks that the 2765
is a little too weak for a high pitch BB Fan. I told him that it would be a good idea , to produce a FC with a 2747 HD Clutch on a 2765 "Neck "....as a result the overall height would be @ 2.75 " !! He agreed, asked for my e-mail adress( to keep me informed as soon as he knows something about this issue....

Tomorrow I will try to examine an old FC... perhaps I can "Build a 2747 /65 clone" ..?? I ll keep you informed

Greetings Juergen

- - - Updated - - -

...btw... I have a Flexalite 5555 clutch...also. Came off from a 75 Poncho this clutch is also 3.11and fits...( but ..... Standard Duty ::)

Greetings Juergen

HD Clutch..is the stuff , we need !

Juergen - good work on reaching out to Hayden. Keep us updated. I wouldnt mind spending a few more $$$ for a fan clutch designed for a Mopar

Funship - I measured and I have a little less than an inch left from the front face of the clutch to the radiator with the Hayden 2765 fan clutch.If I had opted for the 2705, that would have given me less than 1/2" of clearance (closer to the 3/8"). I remember reading in a Hayden manual somewhere that it should be no less than 3/4". Bummer too because I would have preferred the hardiness of the 2705 over the 2765

- - - Updated - - -

Tonys parts has re pops of the originals,saw it in Mopar collectors guide.I think they are $200.00

Geez...that's a lot of dough. I'd have a hard time justifying spending so much on a part where there are many other options to choose from.

Bummer that the clearance is so close but eh, it is what it is. However I'm hoping that Hayden will step up and make a short shaft version as there seems to be a demand for them. *fingers crossed*

hi guys... probably more of " us" have to call Hayden... if there will be a huge number of calls related to this issue, I think HAYDEN will react sooner ( who knows ? )

BTW.... a FLX-5555 will also fit ! Overall height is 3.06 /09 this clutch was used for the GM Ponchos... but also SD only...

Greetngs Juergen

P.S Tel Number HAYDEN 866-502 0068

Juergen,
Don't take this the wrong way but what are you trying to accomplish ? I see post after post on heating/cooling issues and most are a mix of aftermarket parts,I also see a lot of post where O.E.M. parts are used and and there are no problems.These things worked well when new and some blame it on increasing bore size,Chrysler sold oversize pistons for every engine ever built but I never saw anywhere they recommended modifying the cooling system.On another note,don't hold your breath on Hayden producing another fan clutch,their marketing people will tell you what you want to hear and believe me it will end there,it's been tried before,demand is what it's all about and with 30 + year old vehicles it's a limited market,it's just not profitable.

Good luck on your quest !!

Jim

Hello Jim..

I understand what you mean... but if you can tell me, where I can get an OEM fan clutch for my 1966 Coronet I will buy him ! I tried a lot of different fans...and clutches... even the Mopar Performance Package... till now I have about 4or 5 different fans and also 4 different clutches on the shelf...

Greetings from Germany
Juergen

P.S I don´t take it the wrong way

Hello Jim..

I understand what you mean... but if you can tell me, where I can get an OEM fan clutch for my 1966 Coronet I will buy him ! I tried a lot of different fans...and clutches... even the Mopar Performance Package... till now I have about 4or 5 different fans and also 4 different clutches on the shelf...

Greetings from Germany
Juergen

P.S I don´t take it the wrong way

Juergen,

Then my only question would be,what was the original motor and did your care come with factory A/C ?

Thanks,
Jim

Juergen,
Don't take this the wrong way but what are you trying to accomplish ? I see post after post on heating/cooling issues and most are a mix of aftermarket parts,I also see a lot of post where O.E.M. parts are used and and there are no problems.These things worked well when new and some blame it on increasing bore size,Chrysler sold oversize pistons for every engine ever built but I never saw anywhere they recommended modifying the cooling system.On another note,don't hold your breath on Hayden producing another fan clutch,their marketing people will tell you what you want to hear and believe me it will end there,it's been tried before,demand is what it's all about and with 30 + year old vehicles it's a limited market,it's just not profitable.

Good luck on your quest !!

Jim

I hear ya Jim, but for someone like me, the biggest hurdle with OEM parts is cost. The repro clutch is $200 plus $100 for a factory fan off eBay. Plus the cost to re-core or rod the radiator. You're looking at an extra few hundred $$$s. I'm not one of the those guys that has to have everything OEM. Maybe if I had a numbers matching car, I would. I can definitely vouch that my aftermarket water pump out performs the OEM one it replaced.

Hello Jim...

my car came with a 361 cui...and A/C . So I have the 26 " radiator...and the a/c correct pulleys...Now there´s a 440 cui HP from 1969 in the car....bone stock ( only upgraded to a mopar electronic ignition )

Greetings Juergen

UPDATE: I was mocking up the clutch fan and fan before I cut the opening in the fan shroud. I finally figured out why the previous owner never put a shroud on the radiator. The water pump pulley is not centered on the radiator. As a result, the fan would never fit within the confines of the shroud. I'll try my best to adjust the radiator tomorrow to center it better. This makes sense because the engine sits closer to the passenger wheel well. This is frustrating as hell.

Here is a picture of the shroud. As you can see, i'll need to move the radiator down 1 1/2 inches and move it to the left (i.e. toward passenger side) by 1 3/8 inches.

DSCN0162[1].jpg

and if you move the radiator, yer gonna need to find hoses that fit correctly now

Yep. Local Napa guy knows me well. I just replaced the lower rad hose too. I had to find one with a "similar" bends and ended up trimming it on both sides. I may just opt for the flexible hoses from Gates that Jegs sells.

do not use those "flex-hoses" on yer car...they will rip & crack the radiator hose nipples on the rad.....there is such a strain on them from the hose

just leave the radiator alone and make the shroud fit the blade. All our Mopar engines are off-set...the shrouds are not even on either side from the factory either

I don't see much of a choice. I have to move the radiator. If I don't, this is where the fan will be located. As you can see, it will be outside of the shroud.
DSCN0169[1].jpg

..wow that looks strange ! You are way off the center of the radiator.... My car doesn´t look like this... the radiator is just al little of the center

I have the radiator out. It was a pain in the *** getting all the transmission lines disconnected from the radiator. Taking me longer than expected because it hurts my back leaning into the engine bay, so I can only work an hour or two at a time. Plus I'm taking my time cleaning up and repainting all the mounting brackets.

..wow that looks strange ! You are way off the center of the radiator.... My car doesn´t look like this... the radiator is just al little of the center

yea...I wonder if he either has collapsed mounts or the wrong ones

I'm not worried about it. The motor is Level as is the oil pan. All the mounts would have to be collapsed to achieve this. Regarding wrong mounts, I'm not sure. How would I even confirm this?

Don't mean to put a damper on your plans but from the picture it doesn't look like that fan will fit in that shroud no matter where you mount it. Plus, if you move the radiator part of the core will be blocked by the radiator support. I think I would rethink the strategy. No need to re-engineer what's already been engineered.

I was able to shift the radiator just enough so that I think the fan will now fit in the shroud. Here are some pics. The little blue piece of tape is where the center of the clutch fan lines up on the radiator. Almost dead center. I was able to also move the radiator down and to the left. None of the core is being impeded by the radiator support. I just think the radiator was not properly centered when the PO installed it. I'll be re-measuring one more time this weekend and with fingerscrossed, this project should be wrapped up. I'll have to fabricate a bracket to mount the top of the radiator to the upper radiator support but should not be a big deal.
DSCN0170[1].jpg
DSCN0171[1].jpg
DSCN0172[1].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The last picture - it shows that the bottom of the radiator is even with the lower part of the radiator support.

Attachments

• DSCN0174[1].jpg
    DSCN0174[1].jpg
    40 KB · Views: 223
Don't mean to put a damper on your plans but from the picture it doesn't look like that fan will fit in that shroud no matter where you mount it. Plus, if you move the radiator part of the core will be blocked by the radiator support. I think I would rethink the strategy. No need to re-engineer what's already been engineered.

Coloradodave. I'm glad I re-measured. What I didn't realize is that although the radiator is 19 inches tall, the shroud is only 18 inches tall since it is somewhat bell-shaped. With the fan being 18 inches in diameter, you can see my problem.

This pisses me off because the shroud was advertised as being 19 inches tall. They actually counted the mounting rail as the added inch. Cant return it either since I am outside of Amazon's warranty period. :angryfire:

This means that I need a new shroud or I am cutting out the middle section of the shroud to make it look like the one below.

312-P2785434.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back