• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LA360 trans brace issue

Encswsm

Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1973 LA360 the PO installed in my 1966 Charger. While installing my Doug’s Headers I found a brace that goes from the middle of the drivers side engine block to the left hand bottom of the transmission. I had to remove it for the Header to fit. I may be able to grind a relief in it but I’m wondering if I can just leave it out. Does anyone know about this? I just want some idea what to do.
Thanks
Chuck

I would make it fit. They put them there for a reason.

If u can make it work that’s best. But there are thousands of small blocks running around with out them. Big blocks never had them. Kim

If u can make it work that’s best. But there are thousands of small blocks running around with out them. Big blocks never had them. Kim
Big blocks also had lower block ears so more of the bell was used to hold the transmission. Just look at the shield size small block to big block. I would rather be safe than sorry.

One would think with the millions of braceless SB driven with anger over decades for millions of miles one would think a crucial missing brace would be the culprit in all order of engine mishaps, and after 20+ years online, I can't remember reading about even a single one.

:popcorn:

I removed those braces 35 years ago in my blown 340 street car. Same trans today. Plenty of 11.0 drag passes and street miles.
Doug

IM going to see if i can grind a spot to make it fir. if not I'm most likely going to Fughetabooutit!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back