• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Later model help needed. High mile Ram can't hold it's water!

I’d put 2 things in that truck at that kind of mileage:

1- stop leak

2- comfortable sneakers.

Have you checked the freeze/core plugs? My '01 Dakota was exhibiting similar symptoms and it turned out to be one of the freeze plugs on the back of the block. it was seeping coolant onto the torque converter so was difficult to spot. I'm not as familiar with the 5.7, but assume it has freeze plugs.

I would try some uv coolant dye and black light to look for possible leaks.
I second the suggestion, add a coolant dye and take a look with a black light , if you don't see the tracer it's internal

Hot coolant, especially if it’s mostly water will evaporate pretty fast especially in your climate. Realistically if you want to find the leak, dye and a pressure test is the logical thing to do.

I had a 5.7 chevy powered Express van. The van ran great but would lose coolant. No leaks, no drips. It actually boggled my mind until I went to work one night at a Kroger. It ran and drove fine to the place. I went out to start it the next morning to go home and it would turn about a quarter turn and stop. I was like wtf, turns out it had a small head gasket leak into the cylinder. But while driving it there were no signs of a typical head gasket problem. Clean oil no steam out of the exhaust nothing that would indicate a head gasket. But over night I guess the pressure that the system had it in when parked would push the coolant into a cylinder and hydrolock that cylinder. I would have to try and turn it over like 15 times to get it to squeeze out the coolant. Then it would finally run.
The later 8 bolt Vortec intakes used a plastic gasket with a rubber seal in the center. The plastic deteriorates, and will pump water into an end cylinder (1,7,2,8) when it sits, and hydro locks the cylinder. A better replacement gasket to use is the Fel-Pro 1255 High Performance gasket. It has the canted intake ports, dual pattern bolt holes (8 & 12), and is a composite material that wont deteriorate.

upload_2021-8-4_12-54-19.jpeg
My 2007 Ram 1500 has 366,000 miles and still runs great. It uses oil and isn't quite as peppy as it once was but it is still going.
Last year I replaced the radiator because I spotted some crystallized coolant on some of the tubes at the edge of the tanks.
Since then, I still have to add water to the radiator. It doesn't leak when it is running. There is no steam coming from the exhaust pipes. I do notice some wetness under the truck in the morning, no more than a couple of ounces and not every day.

I've been watching Uncle Tony's Garage on the 'Tube and in one episode he has a XJ Jeep with a coolant leak. He figured it was the radiator cap flange wasn't to OEM standards (thin) and the source of the leaks since the cap was not fully seated and sealing properly. Maybe of use to you?
(photo courtesy 66/440)
No disrespect intended or implied to UTG.

Last edited:
No, I have not. I don't have one and have just been nursing this engine.
I know it is long in the tooth. I hate to pull it when it still runs fine. It is not in my nature to leave much meat on the bone.
The next step in not leaving meat on the bone, is walking. It's time for a new engine. The parking lot at work was full of hemi trucks, hundreds. I have never known anyone that got that many miles out of one. The highest I've heard of was around 300 thousand. My guess is that It's burning off the engine when hot and when cold, then going to the ground. Head gasket.

The dye thing is of course very good - but there's a cost there, naturally.
Me, I'd be trying the free detection method first (test pump at parts store).
Just sayin'.

At 366k you're going to have other things start to go, differential etc

Best stop leak I know of. Dump it in and no worries. Got me a extra year out of my aluminum radiator in my 6.7 cummins. On a tractor that had a cracked head blowing antifreeze out of the exhaust it stopped the leak. It will leak out over time and it's not uncommon to have to put more in.
And a great name.:lol:

Screenshot_20210806-122958_Chrome.jpg

Kern, there’s a 6.1 for sale down here, get it, come over and we will be done in a few hours for the drive home.

Pesky radiator cap is slowly venting overboard when it shouldn't?
@Kern Dog

Pesky radiator cap is slowly venting overboard when it shouldn't?
@Kern Dog
I don't think the cap is bad. I have let it sit overnight and removed the cap to add water and it was still under pressure when I turned the cap.

I don't think the cap is bad. I have let it sit overnight and removed the cap to add water and it was still under pressure when I turned the cap.
Ok, under pressure, but at what pressure? It may be relieving pressure at a lower operating pressure than intended by design.

Auto Transport Service
Back