• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf springs for stance ‘62 fury

guardian1fox2

Local time
3:23 PM
Reaction score
Someone mentioned getting a different set of springs or something for the rear to raise the rear of the car a bit for a better stance. What exactly do I look for? I don’t think I’ve ever changed leaves, is it a pita? lol be cool to see pictures of the difference too!

Go to a reputable spring shop and just have your springs re arched. Shouldn’t cost much. The last time I had it done was probably 35 years ago for $100, so I’m sure it’ll be around $300 or so depending on where you live

As long as you do not have too much rust to fight with it is pretty easy.
4 nuts on the front spring hanger 4 nuts on the axle U bolts and 2 nuts on the rear shackle hanger.Remove both hangers from front and rear of spring to reuse.
Of course jack stands under the frame to allow movement of rear axle. A floor jack I hope you have to hold the axle up while removing the spring.Or maybe you have your own lift. Do 1 side at a time for ease of reassembly.
Springs can be purchased from a local spring shop,or several vendors such as ESPO or Eaton Detroit Springs to name a few.
They will custom make them with your choice of spring rate and stock height +1+2+3 inches over factory height.
There are other ways to accomplish raising the rear height of you car but replacement is by far the best.

Go to a reputable spring shop and just have your springs re arched. Shouldn’t cost much. The last time I had it done was probably 35 years ago for $100, so I’m sure it’ll be around $300 or so depending on where you live
I’m guessing you have to remove them for them to do that right?

If you are lucky they may do remove and replace at their shop and you won't get your hands dirty.
Truck spring shops usually do car springs too.

If you are lucky they may do remove and replace at their shop and you won't get your hands dirty.
Truck spring shops usually do car springs too.
There’s a shop I forgot about I called back when I was building a model T racer I was gonna get a spring shop to drop the car a bit I totally forgot about that and didn’t think of just having them modified. Next question, anyone have a picture of what it looks like? lol

6 leaf 2- and 1/2-inch recurve on my runner General Spring company. Springs do get tired and metal fatigue after years. Very happy with my new springs and don't need air shocks. Thought it might ride a little rough but very happy with the way it rides, and the rear of the car dose not swing all over the place.

6 leaf 2- and 1/2-inch recurve on my runner General Spring company. Springs do get tired and metal fatigue after years. Very happy with my new springs and don't need air shocks. Thought it might ride a little rough but very happy with the way it rides, and the rear of the car dose not swing all over the place.
Very nice. I’ll take it it’s the one in your profile pic? I like that gentle rake.

I don’t mind the way it is now….but it does look like something my great aunt used to drive to the grocery store lol if ima put a poly stroker in it its gotta look a little more muscular going to the grocery store lol
IMG_0206.jpeg

Nice looking car! My mom's best friend had the same car, with a 318 poly....only light blue.
Pics are mine , with 456/457 superstock springs (not as bad riding as most believe) and slant six torsion bars.
The centerline combo is 10.5/28 slicks, 185/60 fronts (too short, needed tires,one weekend, all I could find for a 15x3.5 rim)
The tt2 combo is a 10" slick on a 8x16, and 235/75 on,a 15x7. The 235/75 will NOT CLEAR a stock opening. Mine has been "relieved" a couple inches, on both sides.

IMG_20221102_084720.jpg

IMG_20221102_091414.jpg

Love 62's Had several 63-64-65's One day I'll get a 62.
Call the spring shop.I'm sure they will know what to do.
Your Fury is good looking. I like 4 doors.owned many over the years.
Tinted glass,Does that mean it is factory air ? If it is all the better !

Love 62's Had several 63-64-65's One day I'll get a 62.
Call the spring shop.I'm sure they will know what to do.
Your Fury is good looking. I like 4 doors.owned many over the years.
Tinted glass,Does that mean it is factory air ? If it is all the better !
Thank you! It’s all original, even the paint…one day I’ll get the rust spots fixed but it’s just a couple bubbles. I like the 4 door for the family, I’ve had plenty of 2 doors and while really cool…idk having your kids get out easily at drop off and pick up is nicer imo .

No AC or power brakes! Does have power steering tho!

Mine sits high, feels like I am going down hill

IMG_0528.jpeg

As mentioned, re-arching is likely the least expensive. Didn't think of it 20-years ago opting to buy a new set of HD leafs when switching out the rear on my '63 for a '65 Coronet. Some years later friend at a machine shop made a set of shackles that are only an inch or so taller then the OEM's to obtain a bit more lift I wanted.

As mentioned, re-arch or renew. I used ESPO. Great to deal with and reasonably priced. I hear they are backlogged though. A few months wait on spring orders.

Auto Transport Service
Back