• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leak at Park Housing

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
One more thing that the last “expert trans builder” messed up on my car. Original 1962 727 push button. I am getting leaks at each bolt that fastens the housing to the trans and also at the lock nut that holds the cable in. After a short drive each bolt will have a drip on them. Never leaked before the rebuild. Before I take it apart thought I’d check for tips? Is there a gasket for the housing? Where can they be bought? Do the bolts get sealer? O rings?

ATF is very thin and travels easy. You must make sure where the leak is.

Yes there is a gasket there. Bolts have no seals. Cable has an o-ring on the end of the housing.

The park housings are not very flat. I've stoned them. I've also made thicker gaskets. The rear park pawl anchor bolt, low band apply pin ring, tail shaft housing gasket, park cable O-ring are suspects as well. Dry it all off. Puff some baby powder on it. See what gets damp first.
Doug

Khryslerkid, thanks for that thread link. It didn’t turn up in my search. I guess first thing is to pick up a gasket. I have lots of O rings. I’m guessing most of the fluid has to be drained before taking the park housing apart ?

Khryslerkid, thanks for that thread link. It didn’t turn up in my search. I guess first thing is to pick up a gasket. I have lots of O rings. I’m guessing most of the fluid has to be drained before taking the park housing apart ?
Yeah, I might have got a gallon or so out of the back after I removed the hex plug.

I just made my own gasket. Most parts houses carry the material. Don't use cork.
20230927_172906.jpg

20230928_175127.jpg

20230928_181537.jpg

20230928_185857.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back