• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long Island New York Residents

I would also try local race tracks. Our local track has a guy that has pics and stories from the 60-70's and you would be surprised at the racers who would remember/know about the car.
Got any pics of your dads 67 WO car since this is the b-body forum.. :D

I spoke to my friend Carl that has worked for many CPD dealers in the last 40 years.This car did not ring a bell but he knows a few guys that could possibly know.He will call me back.

I would also try local race tracks. Our local track has a guy that has pics and stories from the 60-70's and you would be surprised at the racers who would remember/know about the car.
There are no local tracks for the most part. NY National Speedway is now a housing development. Englishtown closed a few years ago, and Atco just closed.

There's also the possibility the car was run at local street "events" back in the day, and not a sanctioned dragstrip. I know Sunrise Hwy was a spot on the island, I'm sure there were others. My turf was Brooklyn and Queens spots.

There's also the possibility the car was run at local street "events" back in the day, and not a sanctioned dragstrip. I know Sunrise Hwy was a spot on the island, I'm sure there were others. My turf was Brooklyn and Queens spots.
I remember very vividly a '69 GTX that ran out of Fountain Avenue in Brooklyn during the late 70's, and it had a big PLYMOUTH sticker on the quarter panel ends. This was very common with local small budgeted racers, street or track.

If a dealership were ever involved, their showroom/parts department addresses would have been crested on either the doors or quarter panels. I suspect your Bird was from a local racer which as someone said, there were thousands here on Long Island.
If he or she were street racers, I'm sure they would have been NO/TIME testing at any of the local tracks and that in itself is a nightmare to try and find within a sea of photographs that cover the main NY tracks.

A similar account took affect with a NY based HEMI Dart that is now in the hands of a racer on FABO and was raced at NY National. He has pictures (very blurry mind you) but we weren't having any luck at all to find the speed shop that sponsored it. I got real close, but the gent passed that ran the speed shop.
Talking of speed shops, S&K Speed which still operates out there may have a clue. S&S Speed in Brooklyn also sponsored some cars. Looking on their websites might bring up a clue or in this case "A smoking tire"
This could have very well been a NYC based car that ran out on the Island.
Good luck.

I have been finding some of these tracks have websites with pictures and there's a Facebook page for New York drag racing that has old pictures.

Yep I have been reading alot of stories about how big the street racing scene was back then.
One guy said he bought a new 440 six pack car and paid it off three weeks later with money he won.

I remember very vividly a '69 GTX that ran out of Fountain Avenue in Brooklyn during the late 70's, and it had a big PLYMOUTH sticker on the quarter panel ends. This was very common with local small budgeted racers, street or track.

If a dealership were ever involved, their showroom/parts department addresses would have been crested on either the doors or quarter panels. I suspect your Bird was from a local racer which as someone said, there were thousands here on Long Island.
If he or she were street racers, I'm sure they would have been NO/TIME testing at any of the local tracks and that in itself is a nightmare to try and find within a sea of photographs that cover the main NY tracks.

A similar account took affect with a NY based HEMI Dart that is now in the hands of a racer on FABO and was raced at NY National. He has pictures (very blurry mind you) but we weren't having any luck at all to find the speed shop that sponsored it. I got real close, but the gent passed that ran the speed shop.
Talking of speed shops, S&K Speed which still operates out there may have a clue. S&S Speed in Brooklyn also sponsored some cars. Looking on their websites might bring up a clue or in this case "A smoking tire"
This could have very well been a NYC based car that ran out on the Island.
Good luck.
Thank you for the information.
How prevalent was vinyl lettering on race cars back then?
I know must of the famous drag cars were all custom painted.
I'm kind of wondering if it was a dealership maybe they had their name on the car with vinyl and then when it was bought by the next owner if they peeled that stuff off and left the Plymouth on the quarter panels.

I have been finding some of these tracks have websites with pictures and there's a Facebook page for New York drag racing that has old pictures.
FB has been a pretty good source of info on tracks that have closed down including the now 'gone' Houston Raceway Park which I thought would be there for the rest of my life at least. I've now watched 2 home tracks close down :(
Thank you for the information.
How prevalent was vinyl lettering on race cars back then?
I know must of the famous drag cars were all custom painted.
I'm kind of wondering if it was a dealership maybe they had their name on the car with vinyl and then when it was bought by the next owner if they peeled that stuff off and left the Plymouth on the quarter panels.
I had a race car that was well known in the late 70's early 80's but there's not much on the internet about it even though it was a popular car.....and it had painted on lettering etc. Don't know when vinyl became the in thing....

FB has been a pretty good source of info on tracks that have closed down including the now 'gone' Houston Raceway Park which I thought would be there for the rest of my life at least. I've now watched 2 home tracks close down :(

I had a race car that was well known in the late 70's early 80's but there's not much on the internet about it even though it was a popular car.....and it had painted on lettering etc. Don't know when vinyl became the in thing....
I suspect that Vinyl came into mass usage in the early to mid 80's.

Talked to my cousin.
The last name of one of the owners that raced the car in long island was Capperelli.
Sounds like he may have been the second owner.

I don’t have FB but found this by googling “Capperelli”
Nick Capparelli Jr commented, perhaps he’s a relative of said previous owner?

Ya too bad it didn't say he loved drag racing his car. Hard to say if that's the guy or not.

Auto Transport Service
Back