• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low alternator charge at idle

Greg I’ve got a 130 tuff stuff dual pulley and maybe even the matching regulator you’re supposed to run with it. I’ll sell you both maybe half cost. Not even 400 or 500 miles on it. If you ever step up to E-Fans you’ll need something even bigger like I did. Nacho really helped me get my car lined out. I can take some pics if you’re interested.

Yeah, I'd like to know more. You're at the limit of PMs though.

Old news here but mine drops too. I thought characteristic. I like the lope around 770. Don’t spend much time at idle so I ignore it with no consequences for about 36 years.

I have run both single and dual belts on the Sanden type A/C compressor and found no difference, no slippage with a single. Besides it's hard to find a matched set of belts anymore. I can understand it on the old York compressor.
You won’t find any slippage until you run a 1 wire powermaster alternator. Then a dual belt is a must.

Don't know why you would choose to run a single belt version but if it's working for you then good enough......
I was playing with the cooling system, different pumps, pulleys, fans and radiator, it was easier with a single belt. When I got it to cool I left it that way a couple years ago, I guess I'm lazy. There is a matched set in the trunk but this is working. did the same on a friends car with no issues that couldn't find a good match set of belts and went single. It's amazing how different the length of belts are depending on where they were cut off of the cylinder of material.

Last edited:
Is amazing with all the threads about that I know you have read still thinking on this LOL. THERE IS NO WAY a stock alt holds all the loads with accesories at iddle. Hence why the bulkhead burns with the constant back and forth loads between batt and alt.

Yes, the A/C blower is the biggest load sucker on the car. Is able even to burn the fan lever selector on 73 and lates A/C control units that took me to install a relay system, one to every blower speed (4 in total if we count the heater speed)

Is wishing stock look and no brackets deal.. Tuff Stuff 100 amps. (There are 120 units at this moment too)

This is the cheaper source I have found on the web. I whish exactly this one for me but I have a lot of priorities right now to cover right now, and since my Charger is in pieces in Venezuela yet I think will take some time to take care of this

Alternator Tuff Stuff Performance 8509DP - Pace Performance Parts

Sure they are squareback alts, not completely correct for your 70 thought, but at least 80% correct look. 100% if you don’t look at the rear case LOL.

Long time ago a member of dodgecharger.com board found me a local shop on his area able to tune up the alt for a bigger capacity output but the quote was pretty much similar to this price (plus double ride for the alt) On those days tuff stuff wasn’t on market yet, just Powermaster.

JFYI… the quickstart shop upgrade kits are not really efficient. Already tried one.
Your posts really helped me get my car lined out on my stock wiring harness but what sucks is tuff stuff can’t get enough idling amps in those stock looking alternators when you go to adding Electric fans on top of AC and the other accessories so as much as I hated it I had to step up to a 1 wire 160 amp/100 idling amps powermaster and that solved my problem.

The PowerMaster I installed is a direct bolt in replacement, and fits the stock brackets with the stock spacers. So far 2 years and zero issues. It is a dual field, so just ground the other terminal in my ride.

I kinda like the Denso idea, except I am not schooled enough to know if because internally regulated, if that should take a dump, are they replaceable or you toss the whole unit?

If your car only needs 40A to run everything, that's all it's gonna PULL from the alternator, whether it's a 60A or 200A. They are not just jamming 200 amps through the factory wiring and bulkhead all the time.
I'm running the PowerMaster 7509 in both cars. They generate 67A at idle, 84A at cruise, 99A top end. And they look like the stock squareback Chrysler alternators. Pricey though.
Old news here but mine drops too. I thought characteristic. I like the lope around 770. Don’t spend much time at idle so I ignore it with no consequences for about 36 years.
It's a good point. The issue with running a high output alternator with stock wiring is that you can't let the alternator charge the battery if it becomes fully discharged [leaving the headlights on for instance]. Use a trickle charger to charge the battery.
The other consideration is if you're thinking of ever installing EFI. I had to install the PowerMaster on the Coronet because I swapped in FiTech EFI during the resto. EFI requires consistent, clean voltage.

The issue with running a high output alternator with stock wiring is that you can't let the alternator charge the battery if it becomes fully discharged [leaving the headlights on for instance]. Use a trickle charger to charge the battery.
I just wanted to add my agreement with this point. If your alternator can produce a lot of current and your battery is dead, then you could easily overload the stock wiring through the bulkhead and ammeter even if you haven't added any loads to the system. A dead battery will draw quite a bit of current if the alternator can source it. With the stock alternator, this is not an issue, but it could be a serious problem with a larger than stock alternator coupled with stock wiring. Cheers!

I don't know how many have made changes to their electrical system but I've made a few with this car.
The charge wire from the alternator was replaced with an 8 gauge and instead of running through the bulkhead, it runs to the starter relay which technically runs back to the battery.
I have no ammeter. I don't have charging current going through the firewall.
I have heard of the risk of an overcharging alternator when running the engine with a discharged battery. For most of my life, I didn't know this. I thought it was okay to get a jump start and let the alternator charge the battery. It seems counterintuitive to charge the battery up with a separate charger before driving it. It seems like at that point, the alternator is pointless to even have on the car if it's main purpose somehow put the car at risk of a fire or meltdown.

I have heard of the risk of an overcharging alternator when running the engine with a discharged battery. For most of my life, I didn't know this. I thought it was okay to get a jump start and let the alternator charge the battery. It seems counterintuitive to charge the battery up with a separate charger before driving it. It seems like at that point, the alternator is pointless to even have on the car if it's main purpose somehow put the car at risk of a fire or meltdown.
There shouldn't be any risk with a stock alternator, as the system is designed so that the stock alternator cannot source enough current to cause problems with the stock wiring. The issue you are referencing is only a concern if the stock alternator is replaced with a higher output unit without any changes to the stock wiring. Cheers!

I'm running the PowerMaster 7509 in both cars. They generate 67A at idle, 84A at cruise, 99A top end. And they look like the stock squareback Chrysler alternators. Pricey though.

It's a good point. The issue with running a high output alternator with stock wiring is that you can't let the alternator charge the battery if it becomes fully discharged [leaving the headlights on for instance]. Use a trickle charger to charge the battery.
The other consideration is if you're thinking of ever installing EFI. I had to install the PowerMaster on the Coronet because I swapped in FiTech EFI during the resto. EFI requires consistent, clean voltage
The 7509 still doesn’t have enough idling amps to properly charge your car if you’re loaded down accessories like AC and fans.
There shouldn't be any risk with a stock alternator, as the system is designed so that the stock alternator cannot source enough current to cause problems with the stock wiring. The issue you are referencing is only a concern if the stock alternator is replaced with a higher output unit without any changes to the stock wiring. Cheers!
He’s already running an 8 gauge from the alt to the starter relay but I’d probably move up to at least a 4 gauge with the higher amp alternator.

Your posts really helped me get my car lined out on my stock wiring harness but what sucks is tuff stuff can’t get enough idling amps in those stock looking alternators when you go to adding Electric fans on top of AC and the other accessories so as much as I hated it I had to step up to a 1 wire 160 amp/100 idling amps powermaster and that solved my problem.
:rolleyes:

Supodselly they are able to provide 65 amps at iddle. Which should be pretty much enough on a stock car with some extra accs.

Now… if that’s not true… well, I can’t say anything.

I know lately Powermaster was offering stock look (then older version, not the revised they allways offered) with 65/95 amps alt too.

Last edited:
I bought an alternator from this guy....

1727501640909.png

1727501705350.png

I repainted the pulley black. Otherwise, it is just as I received it. Tonight's reading with the existing parts store alternator:

ALT 1.JPG

Idling in neutral at 1000 rpms. Low beams on.

ALT 5.JPG

High beams and A/C fan blowing.

ALT 6.JPG

Headlights off, fan still on.

ALT 7.JPG

With no headlights or fan going, it usually runs over 13 at idle. Revving it up to 2000 rpms pushes it over 13. With the high beams on and fan going, it rarely gets near 13 amps even at 2000 rpms and above. This alternator is fine for daytime use though.
I plan to swap in the Tuff Stuff unit this weekend as I dance around with other projects.

Last edited:
I don’t know if the black pulley is factory correct. I just like how it looks.

DA7D11EC-0D7E-42E7-B60D-1C47D7840B7C.jpeg

This looks like a generic VR but the seller said it was what was recommended.

95685647-4F6B-4DC4-AF29-9DCD0E084044.jpeg

E447B3D5-E829-44D8-A512-E91205DFA409.jpeg

I’ve been busy all day with this:

EDEC5722-0A42-4B82-8509-0230126845D7.jpeg

Prepping for paint takes awhile.

Key point of LEDs is they do well on current rather than voltage so no wiring or relays are required. The retro-brights draw less than 10
amps about a 1/3 compared to OE incadescents..
Is there any special modifications required to get the LED lights to work with our cars? I seem to recall when LED headlights first came out that some additional wiring upgrades were required.

Auto Transport Service
Back