• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal Clicking Sound Passenger Side Exhaust 1969 Charger RT

Fishtaco1969

Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
Since I have owned this car for the past 50 years (purchased from father in 1974), I have been fighting a clicking sound at idol coming from the passenger side exhaust (440 with stock exhaust manifolds, original stock engine). I think it is called a heat riser? The way I have fixed in the past was to put a piece of wood in the mechanism to keep it propped open, the clicking sound went away. Is there a good fix for this problem? Thanks all.

Engine Bay.jpg

Rear Passenger Side.jpg

If you are in a warm enough climate that you don't need it, take the plate out of it (leave the shaft), and put it back.
Edit: I see you are in Phoenix. Nevermind the "warm enough".

Seems I remember I used wire to hold the one open on my 64 Plymouth. Amazing that a 55 year old one is still functioning. Mine are all removed and holes welded up.

Seems I remember I used wire to hold the one open on my 64 Plymouth. Amazing that a 55 year old one is still functioning. Mine are all removed and holes welded up.
Wire good, wood bad.

Since I have owned this car for the past 50 years (purchased from father in 1974), I have been fighting a clicking sound at idol coming from the passenger side exhaust (440 with stock exhaust manifolds, original stock engine). I think it is called a heat riser? The way I have fixed in the past was to put a piece of wood in the mechanism to keep it propped open, the clicking sound went away. Is there a good fix for this problem? Thanks all.

View attachment 1726619

View attachment 1726620
Beautiful Charger, Like a Time Machine, takes ya back about 40-50 years...

A friend of Gary's stored the car for a couple of decades for the family that owned the dealership. We templated parts and took measurements from that car when we were making making all those Daytona parts. I doubt a more original example could be found in these parts.

They made that sound when brand new. It's the HP cam's exhaust pulses causing the valve to partly open and slam shut that makes the clacking noise. Wear makes the noise increase over time.

Hey Don F., FYI - the Mancini Racing lead for a anti-rattle spring did not work out. I searched their website and gave them a call and that part number can't be found. Curious where you got that screen shot? Anyway, thanks for thinking about me though!

Auto Transport Service
Back