• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing plug?

jeepthrills01

Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
So I just stabbed the cam...was going to pop the chain on and I got that sinking feeling..

Shouldn't there be a plug in this hole?
No I didn't build it...I bought it and found it this way.

Thanks.

20240926_182939.jpg

It's just a small leak.... The timing chain got plenty of lubrication.... Ya might want t look at a few bearings

Bearings are all new....
This is that 25 year old rebuild I found for pennies on the dollar.... I picked it up a couple years ago...just finally getting to it.

We rebuilt one years ago and we couldn’t get oil to the rockers or any oil pressure when we primed the pump. On a hunch we pulled the timing cover and found that we missed a plug. Funny, I haven’t thought about that in about 40 years.

We rebuilt one years ago and we couldn’t get oil to the rockers or any oil pressure when we primed the pump. On a hunch we pulled the timing cover and found that we missed a plug. Funny, I haven’t thought about that in about 40 years.

History trying to repeat itself?

A small rift in the space/time continuum?

Nahh...just a busy machinist who was working too fast! Lol.

I'm thinking what about the other end. Are all the plugs in the back end and tight.

Dont feel bad I missed the one under the cam... Derp Glad I tried priming the engine prior to firing it up.. Your picture but modified..

This is the one I missed.

oops.jpg

I missed the inner plug on my 318 poly rebuild (I let the machine shop pull the galley plugs as my tool broke). It is in the rear under another plug! I was able to install the missing plug through the distributer hole in the block! Engine was in and started-low oil pressure was the result.
Mike

I missed the inner plug on my 318 poly rebuild (I let the machine shop pull the galley plugs as my tool broke). It is in the rear under another plug! I was able to install the missing plug through the distributer hole in the block! Engine was in and started-low oil pressure was the result.
Mike
That one shouldn't effect oil pressure... It doesn't cause a leak... It does allow all the oil to bypass the oil filter....

Auto Transport Service
Back