• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mix and Match Bell Housings

71Charger

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
Guys,

I've found a fairly inexpensive 18 spline 4spd that came out of a 68 Charger, I know it will need to be rebuilt, but can I run a 10.5 inch bell housing from a 70 and later with this?

I see that the bearing retainer for 67-69 bell housings are 4.805 inches diameter and the 70-74 retainers are 4.807. I'd like to retain the stock appearance and the weight savings of the 10.5 inch aluminum bell housing.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, an original 1968 A-833 18 spline will bolt up to a 1970 and later big block bellhousing.

You did not mention what car you are using it on?

Last edited:
Yes, an original A-833 18 spline will bolt up to a 1970 and later bellhousing.

You did not mention what car you are using it on?
That’s not completely true. The ‘66 and ‘67 18 spline transmissions used the smaller (4.354”) bearing retainer and will not work with a ‘68 and up big block bell housing unless the front bearing retainer is changed to a custom one that Brewer’s offers.

Last edited:
You will need a 4 speed transmission cross member from a 1968-69 b-body for it to work, if the 1970 car is a early production.

During the middle of the 1970 production year the size of the crossmember bolts were changed to a smaller size.

Last edited:
Guys,

I've found a fairly inexpensive 18 spline 4spd that came out of a 68 Charger, I know it will need to be rebuilt, but can I run a 10.5 inch bell housing from a 70 and later with this?

I see that the bearing retainer for 67-69 bell housings are 4.805 inches diameter and the 70-74 retainers are 4.807. I'd like to retain the stock appearance and the weight savings of the 10.5 inch aluminum bell housing.

Thanks in advance.
You know you need to do this if bellhousiing didn'4 come with the engine your using'
ba1.JPG
ba.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back