• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modify poly LCA bushings to get more caster?

ChargerST

Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
Just came to my head:
Would it be possible to get more caster if you take a poly LCA bushing and cut off some material of the tapered section? The LCA would move closer to the K-frame which should give you more caster..
Obviously you need adjustable strut rods to make this work.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I believe a better option would be adjustable upper control arms.
Mike

Maybe but lets focus on the LCA bushing for a moment, I'm well aware of the UCA option ;)

If you did the lca pin only, it would actually move the the balljoint backwards. Pivoting on the strut rod.
Adjustable strut rod only will give the max fwd adjustment

The LCA can only move forward a small amount before the horizontal flange would make contact with the flange of the K member.

618 N.JPG

You could trim the flanges for room though. The rearmost strut rod bushing could be shaved/cut/trimmed to allow the stock strut rods to be used. Technically, you'd be increasing the wheelbase by a small amount.
I can see the appeal. You'd gain caster for almost no investment other than your time.
I'm not sure about the LCA pin and bushing. I thought the pin was either tapered slightly or had a ridge to it preventing it from being too far forward or rearward.

img_2790_zpsj1t3mbyg-jpg-1715025698-jpg.jpg

If you shave off the black part you could move the LCA half an inch or so forward..

There are still issues to consider. Look at the white circled area:

21 be.JPG

That is one area that is already close. Moving the LCA forward just crowds it even more. The sway bar will now be hitting the LCA. There isn't much room to move the sway bar forward either. If you omit the sway bar, that is a backward move since it is crucial for good handling, losing it defeats any advantage from a gain in caster.

View attachment 1701957
If you shave off the black part you could move the LCA half an inch or so forward..

I would not do that.

On a poly bushing that area acts as a plain bearing. The strut rod should load the poly insert that tight against the pin. That tapered section supports that and removing it could jeopardize the LCA structure integrity

Thanks but this is just a theoretical discussion about the poly LCA bushing. Lets please leave the UCA options out of it (I appreciate that you all want to help me but again, I'd like to discuss my idea only).

There are still issues to consider. Look at the white circled area:

View attachment 1701973

That is one area that is already close. Moving the LCA forward just crowds it even more. The sway bar will now be hitting the LCA. There isn't much room to move the sway bar forward either. If you omit the sway bar, that is a backward move since it is crucial for good handling, losing it defeats any advantage from a gain in caster.

yeah, I looks quite close. Will have to put the Charger on my lift to see how cllse it really is. No point in losing the sway bar.
I would not pursue my idea any further if it involves any drastic changes but if it would mean to just trim the k-member then why not?

I'm not against alternative ideas, especially those that are smart and save money.
Some ideas just suck and don't work.
A few months back I pondered over cutting and welding UCAs to gain caster. My idea involved cutting 1/4" from the rear leg of an UCA and welding it to the front, effectively moving the ball joint rearward.
Yeah, in theory it would work but then you get into the issue of weld integrity being extremely important. A failure in that could be catastrophic.
Some ideas seem good in theory but fall apart when actually tried.
I support and encourage these new ideas though. It is stuff like this that separates car guys from dorks.

I would not do that.

On a poly bushing that area acts as a plain bearing. The strut rod should load the poly insert that tight against the pin. That tapered section supports that and removing it could jeopardize the LCA structure integrity

yes, you are right. Maybe I wasn't clear enough but I would only remove maybe half of that section. I could also use delrin bushings which should be much stronger anyways

Thanks but this is just a theoretical discussion about the poly LCA bushing. Lets please leave the UCA options out of it (I appreciate that you all want to help me but again, I'd like to discuss my idea only).

Theoretically the poly bushing material needs that volume to keep it structure. Something like delrin might be able to hold itself together better when it's thinner, but there would still need to be some sort of flange.

And moving the LCA forward brings interference issues with K-member. Which can be resolved by removing material from LCA and/or K-member, but results in weakening other structural parts.

Last edited:
Shame, the reinforcement plate of that K-member hole for the LCA pin pushed back the LCA the thickness of that plate.

Not really, Steve.

73 A K 2 (2).jpg

If the welded in washer isn't sticking out further than the original "lip" of the tube the factory selded into the K members. This is a 73-76 A body unit, similar to all the B and E units.

Auto Transport Service
Back