• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor mounts arent matching up???

crandall

Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
As you can see, one side of the mount is threaded, and one side has a larger hole.. both sides of the K-Frame mount have holes the same size as the non threaded hole on the mount.. with the mount sitting flush, the non threaded side does not line up.. this is a 1970 B-body K-Frame, the mounts are from 440source.com...... What am I doing wrong, or missing.. when the mounts are bolted in it is not sturdy at all.. it wiggles side to side, and up and down..
mount3.jpg

mount2.jpg

mount1.jpg

Sorry, this is the second time I've posted this, I'm not sure if I got the photos posted correctly the 1st time...

I am not sure with the later K members but the rubbers mounts to the K-member and the steel engine mount is attached to the rubber with the long stud that is sticking up in the air on your photo. The dimple drops into a hole and keeps the rubber mount from turning once tightened. Take it apart, the two studs mounted in the rubber fit into the two slots in the K-member and are nutted from under the K-member. The long single stud goes through one hole in the steel mount and the dimple sits into the other hole....:icon_scratch:
Like I said I am not sure with the later K-members...

there is no possible way to get a nut on the bolt underneath the Kmember..

there is no possible way to get a nut on the bolt underneath the Kmember..

Well unless you drill and tap your block its not going to work that way. The ears that you have bolted to the K-member should bolt to the ears on your engine which means the mount is either upside down, put together backwards or you have the wrong parts...simple as that. The threaded end goes down towards the K-member.

Engine mount's

Ok..... if I understand you correctly, are you installing a 70 b-body K-frame
into an early 62-65 B-body? If you are, it look's like you have the correct rubber motor mount isolater's as the long bolt goes in from the front of the car and thread's in toward's firewall. The big coarse thread face's up toward's engine block, and the steel motor bracket set's on the stud with the locating tab in other hole on bracket. The last picture that 63 440 posted is the correct way to mount a BB when using a stock 62-65 B-body K-frame.

UPDATE NOTE: I just talked to my bro. and I said the engine bolt's go in with thread's facing the firewall..... this only pertain's to the right mount, as the left side (driver's side) come's in from the rear of the mount.... with thread's facing to front of car. My mistake.

Last edited:
red63440 is right on a 62-65 kmember,but you have a 70 kmember,you are missing the two engine mounts that bolt on the engine.mark

Mark,
The ears that he has bolted to the K-member are the ones that bolt on the engine. The rubber isolator should be sitting flat on the K-member instead of facing towards the engine. There is a small opening under the K-member where you can just get the nuts on the two studs and then tighten with a wrench.

I found a pic of this old rusty one mounted up the same way.. I thought the ears on the motor mounted to the brackets, and the brackets mounted to the motor mounts, then to the k member.... no matter which way I put these things, it just wont fit.. maybe I need different mounts..
rusty.jpg

Engine mount's

I went back and took a closer look at your pic's...... and it kinda look's like the mount's need to changed to ( the right side one, move to the left side and vice versa. That should make the difference. Why is their nut's on the backside of the rubber isolater mount's, it should have a factory welded nut to the backside of the rubber mount..... at least that is the way they came from the factory.

Red: On a '62-65 B Body the mounts hook up the way you say. '66-'72 have a different K member and they take mounts like these...see pics. These are solid mounts out of my race car which is a '65 Plymouth with a '70 E Body K member. In the pictures you can see what he's missing.

Attachments

• engine mount 001.JPG
    engine mount 001.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 293
  • engine mount 002.JPG
    engine mount 002.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 299
  • engine mount 003.JPG
    engine mount 003.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 289
Ok, then what you have mounted so far is what is shown in your last photo except for the actual engine mounts. If you look at your last photo you can see the single stud sticking up through the mount that is not shown in your first photos.....did that make sense??:icon_razz:

Red: On a '62-65 B Body the mounts hook up the way you say. '66-'72 have a different K member and they take mounts like these...see pics. These are solid mounts out of my race car which is a '65 Plymouth with a '70 E Body K member. In the pictures you can see what he's missing.

Thats what I just told him..he is actually missing the engine mounts that bolt to the isolator.:eusa_wall:
I think were on the right page now.....hey, I'm an old fart!

You should have 3 parts on each side.....the part that mounts to the K-member, the isolator and the engine mount that attaches to the isolator....right???????

My understanding is there are 2 parts.. first is the motor mounts (rubber)X2 these parts are the same on both sides, and mount to the K-member.... next are the motor brackets 1-driver side, and 1-passenger side, these mount to the ears on the motor, and then mount to the rubber mounts on the k-member..
I have the brackets that mark shows pics of.. when I connect the brackets, and the mounts it looks exactly like your pictures.. my problem is connecting the bottom portion to the 1970 k-member

what is the isolator?

The rubber, didn't understand that the rubber was molded to the lower part. Go back through the posts, there was mention of putting the bolt in so its threaded towards the firewall.....I think! I have a headach....:icon_neutral:

From Dodge33

UPDATE NOTE: I just talked to my bro. and I said the engine bolt's go in with thread's facing the firewall..... this only pertain's to the right mount, as the left side (driver's side) come's in from the rear of the mount.... with thread's facing to front of car. My mistake.

you are correct about the threads facing a different way on both sides, since they are the same exact part, one needs to be rotated. my problem is the hole on the non threaded side is much bigger, which leaves a lot of wiggle room... I'll try to call the place I bought the mounts from.. Thanks for everyones help...

Auto Transport Service
Back