• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '73 Satellite

Jarran, thanks for your kind words. She's coming along nicely! Just got the driveshaft in tonight, plus I bled the rear brakes. Won't be long now until I drive it for the first time!

Ramairthree, here are some more pics of that bracket. It is another piece of sheet metal, that bolts in 4 places. You can see one of the attachment points below the headlight in the first shot and the other three are the hex-head bolts you can see in the second photo. The top one painted red and the other two that are black (for now). I don't have spares of these parts otherwise I'd be happy to help you out.

Z

Attachments

• bucket 1.jpg
    bucket 1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 215
  • bucket 2.jpg
    bucket 2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 223
you have been a ton of help, thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post the info and pictures, I am goint to get some from a car being parted out now that I know.

I remember my first drive, it's a great feeling even if things don't go to plan (they hardly do on the first go around) but it sounds like you know what you're doing so keep at it, I can supply plenty of motivation! Haha

Raimairthree, glad to be of assistance.

Jarran, I'm plugging away! Hope to be driving her this weekend.

The friggin' front brake bleed screws are hopelessly stuck. I've hit 'em with PB, haven't busted out the torch yet but I'm about to even though I really don't want to, I'll just have to do it extremely carefully. Will pick up new bleed screws when I pick up the front brake pads at the parts store today, just need to get the old ones out!

Well, I drove her... about 40 feet. started the car, drove it forward, then tried to back her up... NO REVERSE! Dropped the trans pan, no broken pieces or metal shavings but the trans fluid is as black as motor oil. Drained the torque converter and adjusted the low / reverse band per the FSM. Added a gallon of ATF (that's all I had on hand), but I need another gallon (capacity is 17 pints, just over two gallons) before trying to drive her again.

So, technically, she moved under her own power but not very far.

Got all the transmission fluid replaced tonight and reverse works now, bled the brakes again, fired her up and drove her around the block! Hit 30 mph. Suspension feels very loose and the nose dives every time I hit the brakes, so new shocks, bushings and chassis lubrication are needed before any further (or faster) test drives.

She drove around quite nicely, sounds great! This Satellite had a dual exhaust upgrade at some point in her life, with glasspack mufflers (which will be taken off), so it has a nice rumble. Excited! All the hard work so far has been worth it!

Progress always a good thing, Sounds like its coming along pretty smoothly! :) Good luck to you..

Thanks again for your help, I got some pieces from a car being parted out, and got them on and my bezels on right.

I made some tabs and gasket makered them to the sides of the grill where the grille tabs were broken off, and was able to srew the sides in also.

I wondered why someone would take them off ever since you posted this, strange, whoever did it had a reason but what could it have been, maybe a different grill from something! Its one for the books anyway..

well you see it's like this....

supposedly the original owner had it and then it sat for a decade or two.

his nephew got it, broke it down, shaved the marker lights, antenna, and fender indicators, got it in primer, then ran out of money and it sat some more...

then the guy I bought it from got it.
he painted a set of c stripes, and ended up trying to sell it.

price kept going down. it has a random last leg 318, the reported original tranny with a backyard rebuild and shift kit, the original leaking peg leg rear end, and the remants for a few feet back of the original exhaust. he got roller tires on it, a little driving and stopping going.

threw in a pair of extra rims, a box including various bolts and harness parts, an unknown if working meep meep horn, probably not working wiper motor, most of the interior from a 73 Satellite, wrong color front buckets of possibly correct frames, probably correct rails, and definately wrong pattern, mismathced front window cranks, and an extra rear valence, and sold it to me for a total of 3300$ delivered from a few states away.

I got some missing window trim, a missing cowl grill half, ordered a hood cowl seal, the missing wiper linkage, wiper motor resistor, used a summit racing header back el cheapo exhaust, a couple of sun roof parts, those missing headlight brackets, some headlights, rebuilt the rear tail light wiring, a spoiler, the stripe set for 120$ total sides, roof, and hood, a passenger mirror, a windshield, a washer fluid resovoir, 100$ worth of cheap paint,

and still need to get a headliner, the sunroof working or at least not leaking, an overflow resovoir, the horn in and hopefully working, new tires, the front end components straight and tight- and probably a front end kit, a new engine, a cheapo aftermarket tach hose clamped to the steering column, and whatever other parts I find out are missing as I go,
and drive the hell out of it!

So, I think most missing stuff is from the work done, delayed assembly, and sitting.

What can I say. It did not end up parted out or crushed. It's like a fat drunk chick at the prom, not popular and not a bunch of guys wanting to hop in or own it, but is sick of sitting unloved and unused wants some action!

But the bottom line is guys like you taking the time to answer questions and take pictures and reply is the key to me finishing it up and getting it done. It is appreciated.

well you see it's like this....

What can I say. It did not end up parted out or crushed. It's like a fat drunk chick at the prom, not popular and not a bunch of guys wanting to hop in or own it, but is sick of sitting unloved and unused wants some action!

But the bottom line is guys like you taking the time to answer questions and take pictures and reply is the key to me finishing it up and getting it done. It is appreciated.

Well sir, I took the liberty to dwindle down your post to a point that I believe should be addressed. I might have looked at it this way some years ago and the fact is i to love the 68-70 Roadrunners having had 3 of them. Also some other 60's MOPARS and i love-em, simple as that BUT i don't look at it that way anymore, Seems all i see at shows is Dusters Coronets and the older RR. They have there place in the MOPAR family as well as all the rest. Let me ask you this, With all the posts and all the shows and get together s, everything that went on this summer, how many 73-74 Satellites did you see? I must have missed them all myself, never seen one that i can remember and i seen Chevy's, some Chargers, fords, plenty of the well loved and see more then any MOPARS but not one that resembles mine or yours. I probably missed some posts with car **** in them thats possible but the ones i seen i missed them. These cars have there rightful place, ive talked to a few people this summer and i was told they actually forgot about the Satellites and the newer RR's because they never see them models, I thought that kind of cool myself. When i see people looking at my car when theres the other more desirable cars makes me feel pretty good. They do look at the others but ive asked around if anyone going to the other shows if they have seen any Sattys or the RR's and the answer is no, every time. maybe were luckier then we think. I know there out there, and myself not going this year like past ones, maybe it has changed but i didn't see any last year either, closest to what i have was the Chargers, which is another of the newer models that i sure like. As far as anyone of us posting pics to help or answering thats why were all here, to help one another. This is the best MOPAR site i know of, theres others but this one its like a family, work together share story's, some on personal problems, Joke, even argu sometimes.. Having a Mopar is great.. having friends better. I hope you enjoy every min.. doing your car! Enjoy it, The Satty is as good as the rest, and they have a good heart, LOL :)

right on Ron...very good job on the satty dill.....and I feel the same about my 72 satty...alot of people want me to clone it over to a road runner...but I would be driving as lie, besides my satellite should put a whoop'n on a mustang the same as a RR ;)

yeah, I say keep yout Sattys Sattys.

You know, I have a base 400 GTO and everyone always says, bet you wish you had a RAIII, RAIV, Judge, etc. Hell, a base GTO is great in my book, and I love even a two door post 350 Tempest, but they get no love.

I have a Javelin SST with 360, and all I hear is bet you wish it was a 401, AMX, etc.

I love my 74 RR, but realize as a 318, automatic, etc. everyone has the same type of questions about it- bet you wish....

sure, I can't say I don't wish it was a 440 GTX, but I still love it. And I'll tell you something, some of those Satellites have way better trim and engine than some of the RRs.

All Chevelles are Chevelles and all Chargers are Chargers, but Tempest/Lemans to GTO and Satty to RR get a bum rap in my book.

I've been doing a lot of work to my Satellite. I've been messing around with the carb tuning and the timing, trying to get it to run perfectly. I feel like I'm pretty close. Got the idle RPM set where it needs to be, etc. and she runs like a raped ape now, quite fast for "just a 318".

I put in the new shocks and wheel bearings today. Also discovered a broken sway bar mount that will have to be addressed, which explains the knocking sound I was getting while turning (was really freaking me out, only drove once around the block since I heard it).

But, as you can see in the pics, I've been doing a lot of work on the looks. Finished the Rustoleum paint job, and its a pretty good 10 footer. I didn't really take the time to do the body work because I just want to drive her around before summer. I'll do the bodywork over the winter and get it painted nicely over the winter. For now, this paint will do. The weird looking smudge on the hood and fender in the first pic is just the reflection of the roof of my garage, not a paint flaw. Painted the wheels Rustoleum black, will be looking for a set of chrome lug nuts for it. Also reassembled and polished the front trim. Spent some time tracking down a few electrical bugaboos, including brake lights, tail lights, marker lights, turn signals, etc. Now, all the external lights work as they should.

Next steps for me are fixing that broken sway bar mount, registering and insuring her, then driving the hell out of her until the snow flies. Thanks, all, for your kind words and encouragement.

Zach

Attachments

• front after paint small.jpg
    front after paint small.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 177
  • rear end after paint.jpg
    rear end after paint.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 157
  • side after paint.jpg
    side after paint.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 185
Sorry to bump a slightly old thread, but whats the amber light in front of the license plate for? It looks hokey, but cool.

That amber light was a hackjob installation of a foglight, along with the two others in the grill. The previous owner (not Dad) cut into the wiring harness and really screwed things up. They are now long gone and I fortunately had a whole new front end harness, which is now installed.

Looks great Z! You should be able to get the chrome lug nuts at Auto-Zone, ive bought them there before... You really have come some distance, Hope you have a ball!!

That amber light was a hackjob installation of a foglight, along with the two others in the grill. The previous owner (not Dad) cut into the wiring harness and really screwed things up. They are now long gone and I fortunately had a whole new front end harness, which is now installed.

I think the amber light looks kinda silly, myself. At the same time, though, I liked it because it shows that the car isnt a wimpy papmpered 55 Chevy. I think its cool to see reminders that these cars were daily drivers and the bottom of the pit at one time. Which is why I keep the late 70's aftermarket 8-track in my car.

As for the short amount of time you put into the car... it looks GREAT. I would drive the heck out of the car, myself. I would pick a donor car for a 400 powertrain, rebuild said powertrain, and store it until the 318 dies. Then beat up the local tuners.

Ramairthree, I agree with you. If I had a pre 1973 Satty, I would probably keep it a Satty. Being the 73-4 enthusiast that I am, if I had a Satty, I would probably make a custom strobe stripe that said "Satellite". Close to a RR clone, but still a satellite. The stripes make these cars pop, IMO.

I think the amber light looks kinda silly, myself. At the same time, though, I liked it because it shows that the car isnt a wimpy papmpered 55 Chevy. I think its cool to see reminders that these cars were daily drivers and the bottom of the pit at one time. Which is why I keep the late 70's aftermarket 8-track in my car.

As for the short amount of time you put into the car... it looks GREAT. I would drive the heck out of the car, myself. I would pick a donor car for a 400 powertrain, rebuild said powertrain, and store it until the 318 dies. Then beat up the local tuners.

Ramairthree, I agree with you. If I had a pre 1973 Satty, I would probably keep it a Satty. Being the 73-4 enthusiast that I am, if I had a Satty, I would probably make a custom strobe stripe that said "Satellite". Close to a RR clone, but still a satellite. The stripes make these cars pop, IMO.

Thanks for the kind words. I was torn about the amber lights but the terrible installation made it necessary to remove them. I did save them and could put them back on, but I believe lights in the grille like that are illegal in Michigan. The round amber light would block the 1973 Michigan plate with 1974 and 1975 tags that I scored (found the two matching plates and I'm planning to use the old '73 to plate the car with Secretary of State). Put the tagged plate on the front last night as well.

As for the 8 track, I'd be ok with that as well. Most of my favorite music is from the 8 track era, so tapes would be plentiful and cheap. No radio in her right now but I have an old Chrysler AM radio (not sure if it works) that I'll put in to test it out. I have to switch out the bezel that someone cut to hell to install an aftermarket radio (have a spare bezel in the parts stash), then I'll hook her up. If it doesn't work, I'll probably gut the case and use it to hide a more modern stereo system.

Auto Transport Service
Back