• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '73 Satellite

You can use vintage plates on cars in Michigan? Cool beans. The ONLY way you can use vintage plates in my state is if they have been in use since issueing.

Well, I removed the sway bar and the knocking sound is still there. I've replaced the shocks all around (needed it anyway), as well as the front wheel bearings. It only occurs when steering at low speed. I don't feel it in the brake pedal or the steering wheel. Wonder if the driveshaft u-joints are shot? That wouldn't explain why it only happens when turning, however.

Anybody have any ideas?

Lift the car, and shake the hell out of the wheels. Side to side, front and back, everything. Could be tie rods, ball joints, etc. Driving down a hill felt like my truck was going to fall apart when my F150 needed tie rod ends.

If you crawl back and mess with the driveshaft you can probably notice the play if you need U-Joints. I reccomend buying a shift kit if you get new u-joints though:hello2:

Had my father-in-law in the car last night, listening while I'm driving. He said he could hear it when driving in a straight line, the exhaust note was too loud and I didn't hear it until I was off the gas.

He said it was definitely coming from the rear end (he's a farmer who retired from GM, he knows his stuff), so I pulled the differential cover. It looks like there is way too much end play on the passengers side axle shaft. The c-clip is still there, but the axle itself can move a good 1/16, maybe 1/8", so I figure this is the knocking. It gets worse when turning, but that would make sense, as the lateral load would cause the axle to slide. The FSM only says that the axle end play shouldn't have to be set, since the design of the c-clip should hold it in. So, any clue how to change this?

Auto Transport Service
Back