• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first Mopar

1970Bee

Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
First off, thanks for having me! My name is Ray, and am a lifelong car nut. I spent 32 years in the Army, so project cars weren't really practical (dragged a bunch of old bikes around, though!). I retired in 2016 and bought a project 57 Chevy 150 that needed WAY more work than I realized (I won't post pictures of that one unless asked!). Anyway, the car is in paint and at this point needs...well, everything else.

In the meantime, my brother makes me an offer to buy his 1970 Super Bee that I could not refuse. Im currently on a stint in the UK as a defense contractor, so the car is not yet in my garage, but I'm pretty familiar with it. It actually belonged to a friend and former neighbor from when I lived in Aurora, CO. A true Mopar enthusiast who is likely lurking somewhere on this site. My brother bought it from him and he and I road tripped it from Aurora to where he lives south of Louisville, KY.

Details on the car: original N96 car but all the ductwork under the hood is missing. Came factory with Go Mango and white C stripe. 383 (which I don't believe is the original) with iron heads, single plane intake and a pretty stout cam. I have the engine builder's notes available; it states 500hp but no dyno sheet. In any case, that seems awfully optimistic for what it is, and it felt fairly strong, but not that strong, I don't think. Bench seat, and column shifted 727. Dana 60 with 3.91 (I think?) gears. With the Dana and the frame connectors, I suspect it has some strip time in the past. I helped my brother install Sniper EFI (really transformed the car), and he had a shop in KY redo all the wiring headlight to tail light. Car is dead reliable now. The paint and interior are presentable, but by no means fresh. Perfect for me, really, since I don't want a car too nice to drive (the 57 is getting dangerously close to that as it is). It has a really nice wilwood 4 wheel disc system on it (non pb, and non ps).

Plans: AC is in the car's immediate future (because Texas). The car wanders a tad on the highway. Not sure if it's just the old steering box, some worn components or if as a manual steering car, there isn't much castor dialed into it. Will dig into that. Anything else would be down the road as the immediate intent is to just drive it. Restoring it to original seems not worth it to me as it doesn't have the original 383 and it wasn't a super special car to begin with. Nor would I stray to far from where it is now. It will always have a B or RB motor, and any suspension upgrades would keep the same format with upgraded shocks, leaf springs, etc.. I'm definitely a 3 pedal guy, but I have no immediate plans to change out the auto trans.

Anyway, enough rambling for my first post! I look forward to learning more about Mopars and my Super Bee from this site!

IMG_1873.PNG

Congrats! And thank you for your service, I would like to see the Chevy if you are willing to post the pictures.

Gladly! First shows it in mid metal work phase. I did all the metal work, but had a shop do the paint. Second pic show it before the glass was installed, but it's about the only one I have of it in the sun. It's pretty, but has a long way to go yet.

IMG_0783 (1).JPG

IMG_1355.jpg

Welcome from Southern CA Ray, nice looking BEE there, great color.
The Black / White Chevy looks great too, nice stable you have.
There's plenty of talented Guys and Gals on this site willing to help out when needed.
Good luck with both of your projects.

Welcome from Alabama, sounds like your Bee is a great driver and the 57 is is going to be great too. Even as a total Mopar nut, I like the 55-57 Chevy's as well as the 66-67's, but own none.

Welcome aboard from Ohio. Thanks for your service.

First off, thanks for having me! My name is Ray, and am a lifelong car nut. I spent 32 years in the Army, so project cars weren't really practical (dragged a bunch of old bikes around, though!). I retired in 2016 and bought a project 57 Chevy 150 that needed WAY more work than I realized (I won't post pictures of that one unless asked!). Anyway, the car is in paint and at this point needs...well, everything else.

In the meantime, my brother makes me an offer to buy his 1970 Super Bee that I could not refuse. Im currently on a stint in the UK as a defense contractor, so the car is not yet in my garage, but I'm pretty familiar with it. It actually belonged to a friend and former neighbor from when I lived in Aurora, CO. A true Mopar enthusiast who is likely lurking somewhere on this site. My brother bought it from him and he and I road tripped it from Aurora to where he lives south of Louisville, KY.

Details on the car: original N96 car but all the ductwork under the hood is missing. Came factory with Go Mango and white C stripe. 383 (which I don't believe is the original) with iron heads, single plane intake and a pretty stout cam. I have the engine builder's notes available; it states 500hp but no dyno sheet. In any case, that seems awfully optimistic for what it is, and it felt fairly strong, but not that strong, I don't think. Bench seat, and column shifted 727. Dana 60 with 3.91 (I think?) gears. With the Dana and the frame connectors, I suspect it has some strip time in the past. I helped my brother install Sniper EFI (really transformed the car), and he had a shop in KY redo all the wiring headlight to tail light. Car is dead reliable now. The paint and interior are presentable, but by no means fresh. Perfect for me, really, since I don't want a car too nice to drive (the 57 is getting dangerously close to that as it is). It has a really nice wilwood 4 wheel disc system on it (non pb, and non ps).

Plans: AC is in the car's immediate future (because Texas). The car wanders a tad on the highway. Not sure if it's just the old steering box, some worn components or if as a manual steering car, there isn't much castor dialed into it. Will dig into that. Anything else would be down the road as the immediate intent is to just drive it. Restoring it to original seems not worth it to me as it doesn't have the original 383 and it wasn't a super special car to begin with. Nor would I stray to far from where it is now. It will always have a B or RB motor, and any suspension upgrades would keep the same format with upgraded shocks, leaf springs, etc.. I'm definitely a 3 pedal guy, but I have no immediate plans to change out the auto trans.

Anyway, enough rambling for my first post! I look forward to learning more about Mopars and my Super Bee from this site!

View attachment 1725363
Hey old friend, so glad you bought the Bee. It is a great driver and does burn outs on command! Looking forward to hearing more from you. Here are some videos from when I owned it.

Thank you for your career of service to our country and for joining our group Ray!! B-3-8 4th Infantry '67-'68

I figured you would be hanging out here. Hope all is well with you, buddy! Great to see you!
Hey old friend, so glad you bought the Bee. It is a great driver and does burn outs on command! Looking forward to hearing more from you. Here are some videos from when I owned it.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody. And for not giving me crap about owning a CH**Y! Truth be told, I'm fairly car brand agnostic- they all made something Id love to have. But shoe box chevies (esp the 57 with the 150 trim) and what I called the "cartoon cars" as a kid (Road Runner and Super Bee) have lived rent free in my head since before I could ride a bike.

The 69 Coronet has always been my favorite, but the 70 is so wild looking, it has really grown on me. I count myself as being very fortunate, indeed!

Auto Transport Service
Back