• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new purchase 63 Polara 500 383 convertible! what ya think?

RUMBLON

Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
Hi gang, I thought I would show off my brand new purchase. I bought this yesterday off of another website. I am a long time Mopar guy but this is the first car I have bought sign unseen, off of pictures.

Its a 383 push button auto, Polara 500. I am not sure what the original color is/ was as its faded but I MAY do it a different color. Any ideas? iM WAITING FOR THE DATA PLATE NUMBERS TODAY.

I have a brand new 650 HP 500 stroker sitting in my shop and I am going to buy a crossram manifold and carbs for it and do it as a max wedge look a like!

I am not sure about the trans yet as I have never driven a push button trans but dont know if one will handle 625-650 horse power. I imagine they are the same as a regular 727??? Any suggestions?

Also, Im thinking of just going with a Dana 60 since I dont want this old style rear end.

Does anyone have pics of this generation of B bodies in this color?

In any case, I have big plans for this car and am picking it up Sunday.

what ya think? It also comes with a nicer pass side fender, deck lid hood and other parts and rechromed front and rear bumpers and more. and a trailer!!!

RUMBLON

63 POLARA 500 CONVERTIBLE
6514457-IMG_1634.gif

IMG_1636.gif

IMG_1640.gif

IMG_1644.gif

IMG_1641.gif

Nice find - cool! Your 727 is the same as other 727s - but cable shift. They had them behind Max Wedges and Hemis, so I wouldn't worry about it's strength.

Wicked score and how about that mint grill!! My buddy has a 'a 63 330 wagon that's his Summer DD and we're currently putting a punched out 413 with cross ram and Mancini high flow manifolds. Won't be as ballsy as your stroker but same looking combo. He's actually looking for a hood if your spare one isn't wrecked.

Nice pickup! And you even got 1 headlight ring, mine came with none, strike that, 2 in the trunk that are totally pancaked.
Wish I had your motor too.
Post more pics when you pick it up.

OH YEA!!Nice score:munky2:Have no doubt a pushbutton can handle some power.There are several upgrades reccomended to the trans depending on what's there.Will you take the car to the track at all or strickly street??

Attachments

• 2009-04-25-1542-16.jpg
    2009-04-25-1542-16.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 817
  • 112-1278_IMGr2.JPG
    112-1278_IMGr2.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 851
  • IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 821
Awesome find! You should be able to see some factory color chips on the net, I know I've seen them on Ebay.

Hi gang, I thought I would show off my brand new purchase. I bought this yesterday off of another website. I am a long time Mopar guy but this is the first car I have bought sign unseen, off of pictures.

Its a 383 push button auto, Polara 500. I am not sure what the original color is/ was as its faded but I MAY do it a different color.

WOW...!!!! Great car, one of my favorites. I wish i'd have found it... LOL. Although My plans would not include the performance mod's your planning. That convertible is more of a beach cruiser then a racer and that 63 383 is one of the best motors Mopar ever built.

I've seen that color combo before, not real uncommon on 63 Dodge and Plymouth. It's hard to tell for sure but looks like code X, (Beige), or code Y, (metallic brown), with white accent. Pretty when fresh.

I bought my 65 Coronet 500 convertible sight unseen off a website also. So far it's been one of the best cars i've had. I've driven over 5000 miles in the past year in it and have really enjoyed just doing cosmetic upgrades to it.

Good luck with your Polara and keep us up to date.

What a score!!I agree with Bluefury though,resto with mild cam,nice exhaust,and disc brakes.I'd still want 350-400hp which would be easy.Can't wait to see it when your done no matter which way you go.

Thanks for the comments, but now I am having an issue. I had been looking for a 63 hardtop or post, as I wanted to build a beast. Put the max wedge crossram on the motor (expensive one for the eddy heads) paint THE car black and do red interior and slam it a bit.

Now that I found this one, some tell me its kind of rare or at least hard to coem by unrestored and original like this?. I dont mean expensive rare, but they tell me to do it semi stock and keep the color ect. So now I am thinking about what to do? I think these 383s came 2BBL right?

I have a 70 Cuda vert, was 318 now 440-6 and its just a cruiser.

So I am PERPLEXED? What do you guys think- I dont get my feeleings hurt, so swing away. Build what I want to build or build it like it was but add some wheels and a few HP and find a 2 dr or post to go with it?

RUMBLON

Thanks for the comments, but now I am having an issue. I had been looking for a 63 hardtop or post, as I wanted to build a beast. Put the max wedge crossram on the motor (expensive one for the eddy heads) paint THE car black and do red interior and slam it a bit.

Now that I found this one, some tell me its kind of rare or at least hard to coem by unrestored and original like this?. I dont mean expensive rare, but they tell me to do it semi stock and keep the color ect. So now I am thinking about what to do? I think these 383s came 2BBL right?

So I am PERPLEXED? What do you guys think- I dont get my feeleings hurt, so swing away. Build what I want to build or build it like it was but add some wheels and a few HP and find a 2 dr or post to go with it?

RUMBLON

My vote is that you to Build it the way you had planned at the beginning when you bought it........... and then have a Ton of Fun!!

Attached is my 63 Sport Fury Convertible Max Wedge car. I ran this car for 10 years at the local Dragstrip with its original pushbutton trans and 8 3/4" posi and never broke anything except minor stuff. Maybe I was just lucky?

My vote is that you to Build it the way you had planned at the beginning when you bought it........... and then have a Ton of Fun!!

Attached is my 63 Sport Fury Convertible Max Wedge car. I ran this car for 10 years at the local Dragstrip with its original pushbutton trans and 8 3/4" posi and never broke anything except minor stuff. Maybe I was just lucky?

That is a beautiful car, do yous till have it? Do the 63 Plymouth and Dodges have the same basic lines down the side or do they share ANY sheet metal. I understand that the grilles and tail panels are way different, but their stances and side metal have a lot of the same look?

Great car and thats what I was kinda going for.

RUMBLON

I am having an issue. I had been looking for a 63 hardtop or post, as I wanted to build a beast. Put the max wedge crossram on the motor paint THE car black and do red interior and slam it a bit.

Now that I found this one, some tell me its kind of rare or at least hard to come by unrestored and original like this?. I dont mean expensive rare, but they tell me to do it semi stock and keep the color ect. So now I am thinking about what to do? I think these 383s came 2BBL right?

Hey Rumblin..... I feel your pain man.... I've been there too.
I can only offer my thoughts. It sounds like you had a H/T or post car in mind to begin with, and it makes more sense to build a beast like you want with one of them.
Your search brought you to the 63 Convertible, a truly rare find in original intact condition. So... naturally your thoughts go to building it to your tastes.

I have, in the past built a few Mopars like the one you want and really enjoyed racing them, but that was back in the day.... not a big deal to use up cars then. I have some regreats about a couple of rare cars that I modified into racers to the point that they could not reasonably be restored. Now that I have reached "geazer" statis, and have never lost the love for Mopars, I find my thoughts leaning more toward cruising and preservation.

There are guys, (me included) that dream about finding a car like your Polara to bring back and enjoy as they were meant to be enjoyed. (That is a 4 BBL 383 rated at 330 HP). Perhaps disc brakes and some safety upgrades.

My point is..... Stick with your original plan, find that H/T or post car to build into your dream racer and either put the conv aside or trade up to a real nice body. I bet there is someone who has a nice early B-body and would love to trade and restore that convertible. You may be able to trade into a car thats ready to roll with your power train and save all the trouble of restoring body and interior. I feel your anxious to get started on your project, but would hate for you to have regretes later on, like I have.

All that said..... It's your car.... your decision, and this is only my two cents worth. Whatever you decide you will have a great time.

Will.

I am having an issue. I had been looking for a 63 hardtop or post, as I wanted to build a beast. Put the max wedge crossram on the motor paint THE car black and do red interior and slam it a bit.

Now that I found this one, some tell me its kind of rare or at least hard to come by unrestored and original like this?. I dont mean expensive rare, but they tell me to do it semi stock and keep the color ect. So now I am thinking about what to do? I think these 383s came 2BBL right?

Hey Rumblin..... I feel your pain man.... I've been there too.
I can only offer my thoughts. It sounds like you had a H/T or post car in mind to begin with, and it makes more sense to build a beast like you want with one of them.
Your search brought you to the 63 Convertible, a truly rare find in original intact condition. So... naturally your thoughts go to building it to your tastes.

I have, in the past built a few Mopars like the one you want and really enjoyed racing them, but that was back in the day.... not a big deal to use up cars then. I have some regreats about a couple of rare cars that I modified into racers to the point that they could not reasonably be restored. Now that I have reached "geazer" statis, and have never lost the love for Mopars, I find my thoughts leaning more toward cruising and preservation.

There are guys, (me included) that dream about finding a car like your Polara to bring back and enjoy as they were meant to be enjoyed. (That is a 4 BBL 383 rated at 330 HP). Perhaps disc brakes and some safety upgrades.

My point is..... Stick with your original plan, find that H/T or post car to build into your dream racer and either put the conv aside or trade up to a real nice body. I bet there is someone who has a nice early B-body and would love to trade and restore that convertible. You may be able to trade into a car thats ready to roll with your power train and save all the trouble of restoring body and interior. I feel your anxious to get started on your project, but would hate for you to have regretes later on, like I have.

All that said..... It's your car.... your decision, and this is only my two cents worth. Whatever you decide you will have a great time.

Will.

I hear ya, I just want to pick her up, later today or early tomorrow depending on what time I get there and see what it looks like in person.

It sure would help to see some 62-65s in this color if anyone has pics.

I guess I could always just do the body, paint and get it done in original colors and find a HT or post for my go fast motor!

If anyone has pics of cars in this color, I sure would appreciate it.

RUMBLON

OK its a long way to NC but if you want to trade that convertible as is for arunning 62 Savoy with the brake conversion complete, factory power sterring and the extra lights of a fury you can drop that fast motor in it and build a nice fury clone. Everything works too! including the original dome light although the dor switch is finicky, it always comes on with the switch! Original tube radio too. Just thought Id offer, my kid wants a v-8 in the worst way, he dont appreciate the slant six and we dont have the money to build him the car he wants, plus Im a dsiabled vet and cant help him and he is finishing High schoool and taking college classes too so we are really just looking for a trade and something he can do a quick restore on for now till he gets done wiuth college, then he can do the rotisserie restoration. I have another 62 plymouth, Belvedere, already dis-assembled if you rather, put it on a rotisserie, move the post back thrwo two doors on it and build a two door. He just wants something cool withan eight cyl. I had a 66 polara 383 convertible years ago, that drivetrain is fun,, not race track in stock form but stil a fun car. Check out my cars in the photo gallery and let me know. Thanks. If you decide not to go there I congratulate you on your find. My vote is keep it stock, that vert is rare, looks like an easy stock restoration too.

looks like an easy stock restoration too.​

No disrespect...... But I always have to chuckle when I hear someone say..."easy restoration".... My first thought is always.... HUMmmmmm... This guy has never restored anything. LOL...!!!​

Auto Transport Service
Back