• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My slot car track worked

It began with plastic car models. Then Hot Wheels jumped in. Then, the heavens opened up, and I got my first slot car set. I was hooked and in love. There were even a couple of hobby stores near us that had the big tracks. So cool!

Q: What could possibly be better than this? A: Nitro! My Hot Wheels, slot car buddy took me to my first drag race.

Still in love with it all to this day. But the hobbies started it all.

When I was a kid, for Christmas 1967, I got a 55’ Strombecker track. It had a Cheetah and a Dino Ferrari, 1/32nd scale. My dad made a table with two 4x8 sheets of plywood in our finished basement. Needless to say, my house was the place to be for my buds. I then bought a good size HO set and set that up with a drag strip along side it. Between Matchbox, Hot Wheels, I had all the 68 first year cars, in different colors, and the later model red lines. My aunt worked for Whites 5&10, and Ben Franklin, it was easy. I didn’t sell the early ones I had left, I still have, 12, and quite a few Matchbox. Unfortunately my younger sister sold dozens of them at a garage sale, later. Of course, I didn’t know, til much later. The Strombecker track, transformer, controls and most accessories I still have in the original box. Between these, dozens of models and helping my dad on cars and trucks, as a young un, and my first engine swap on my 74 GMC, in 76 (from a 250-6 to a 350) made me the the car/truck nut, I am today.

When I was a kid, for Christmas 1967, I got a 55’ Strombecker track. It had a Cheetah and a Dino Ferrari, 1/32nd scale. My dad made a table with two 4x8 sheets of plywood in our finished basement. Needless to say, my house was the place to be for my buds. I then bought a good size HO set and set that up with a drag strip along side it. Between Matchbox, Hot Wheels, I had all the 68 first year cars, in different colors, and the later model red lines. My aunt worked for Whites 5&10, and Ben Franklin, it was easy. I didn’t sell the early ones I had left, I still have, 12, and quite a few Matchbox. Unfortunately my younger sister sold dozens of them at a garage sale, later. Of course, I didn’t know, til much later. The Strombecker track, transformer, controls and most accessories I still have in the original box. Between these, dozens of models and helping my dad on cars and trucks, as a young un, and my first engine swap on my 74 GMC, in 76 (from a 250-6 to a 350) made me the the car/truck nut, I am today.
55 feet of track back then was HUGE. Never had the space for anything bigger than HO. (No basements in california, big earthquake and the second story would be underground, lol)

It started with my older brother in the 70s. He had the HO tracks. I was too young. Him and his buddies would be racing and I would watch for hours. When I would try to race, he would kick my a$$ and tell me to get lost. I would wait until they left and then secretly plug it in and race. A couple years later I got my own set for Christmas. And the rest is history.

Auto Transport Service
Back