• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NAPA GOLD FILTERS........... AHHHH NO

I am going to step in and go against the grain on this one.....
What IF the Chinese made filters are still of the same quality? Are you still against them?
Look....I'm all for supporting American manufacturing. I'll buy American made at a higher price just to feel better about where my money is going but I don't think it is reasonable to always refer to Chinese parts as junk.
Do you have a long stroke crank in your car? What are the chances that it was cast and machined here?
Who made your cylinder heads? What about the phone you're using?
Chinese companies can make quality products if they are paid to make quality products. Places like Harbor Freight exist because many people want products at a cheap price.

Yes.
I'm also against "slave labor".
And won't buy those things if given the choice.
People say "It's not about the money, it's the principle of the thing".
But it's usually about the money.
Sometimes it really is the principle of the thing.

Segue:
What was the Spock quote?
"I like to think there are aways choices".
"There are always...possibilities" Spock quote?
The closest I could come to was from the episode "Galileo Seven" in which Spock said:
"There are always alternatives."
22 Stars said:

^Earlier in the movie doesn't Kirk quote Spock with this Saavik?
He does. In the Genesis cave,
Kirk (to Saavik): As your teacher, Mr. Spock, is fond of saying, 'I like to think there always are ...possibilities.'
Yeah, the quote from "Galileo Seven" is the most obvious example. I believe it was in reference to an alternative fuel source. Spock is always pointing out an alternative to their dilemma in other episodes, too.

Segue to an earlier question:
The Chinese don't have filters on their cars.
They burn coal.
Lots of it.

1714819222434.png
Been using these for a while..............

Many cheap low quality products are imported from China. Let's not forget many cell phones, tablets and computers are produced there with no problems. The Chinese are capable of producing high quality products and meeting specifications. If you buy something produced in China and it's junk, you may want to blame the seller/importer. Maybe the sellers specification was "CHEAP". As is often the case.

Many cheap low quality products are imported from China. Let's not forget many cell phones, tablets and computers are produced there with no problems. The Chinese are capable of producing high quality products and meeting specifications. If you buy something produced in China and it's junk, you may want to blame the seller/importer. Maybe the sellers specification was "CHEAP". As is often the case.
Ah yes ,the quality phones.
Built in a factory where smog is so thick they tell people not to go outside, it looks like fog and blocks your vision after a couple city blocks. No cat converters on the cars. Make sure you go buy an EV though you filthy polluting American!
Where the employees are paid dirt, made to work 16-18 hour days, and sent packing if they get hurt.
Where the employees can be toddlers, so long as they can do the work at pace.
Where they provide shared bunks for the workers because they can;t afford to live outside the factory, and/or don;t have time to leave between shifts if they want more then 3 hours of sleep.
Where they put nets all around the outside and posted guards because people were jumping off the roof too frequently.

China, where they have forced labor camps simply because you are not Han Chinese. Disnep thanks the chinese gov't for allowing them to shoot the live action mulan film with slave labor from the camps.
Better hope you are not a common blood type.....

But hey! The phone would cost more if it was made somewhere else! And it is a good product!

Consumers choose to buy this, so this is what we get. No amount of copium changes what is happening over there.

Some or all of that may be true.
I do remember the American propaganda about life in Russia during the Cold War.
Governments and media do have a way of demonizing other countries and they surely do portray them as being hellholes when they could be better than we have it here. You don't know for sure. Do you think the Russian and Chinese media show their people the homeless camps and fentanyl overdoses we have here?

@6PKRTSE Where did you find 51515 filters for $6.94?
That is my cost. I get everything at WD or better for auto parts and racing parts. This is the only way I have been able to be in this hobby all of these years.

I got some Wix 51515 from rockauto. Decent price although the shipping Sucks.
12 filters about 56.00 +Tax and Shipping. 72.00 for me,grand total. Shipping and tax rate varies from state to state.

Last edited:
Some or all of that may be true.
I do remember the American propaganda about life in Russia during the Cold War.
Governments and media do have a way of demonizing other countries and they surely do portray them as being hellholes when they could be better than we have it here. You don't know for sure. Do you think the Russian and Chinese media show their people the homeless camps and fentanyl overdoses we have here?
Disnep thanks the chinese government IN THE CREDITS OF THE MOVIE.
There is footage of what they are doing in other regards, they don't deny they are doing it.
And no, our media does not show this to us, and our gov't doesn't want to either for reasons.

Copium and looking away does not change what is happening over there.

Well, I'll be.
They really don't use filters.

You are correct, my apologies. Baldwin owns Hastings, not Wix.
I always get those two mixed up; no idea why.
Baldwin has manufacturing in not only the USA, but in (deep breath) Europe, Mexico, Australia,
China, South Africa and Morocco - under the Parker Hannifan corporate blanket.
Parker Hannifin owns Baldwin/Hastings and others.

I used to buy NAPA filters until a friend started selling at our local Federated Parts store.

Their filters were US made by Baldwin. Last year Federated started sourcing their filters from China... the store still sells Baldwin and and that's what I now use.

But, if I wanted to buy ChiCom, my price on my Buick filters is less than $5....same as when Baldwin made them. The Baldwins are now $10.

Air filters...I was forced to buy a Chinese Frame air filter two years ago...on the road and no choices.

Didn't pay much attention to my fuel economy at the time but I lost 5 mpg.

A month ago I tried something...pulled that filter out and gained 4 mpg!

Chinese crap...again.

Last edited:
Ah yes ,the quality phones.
Built in a factory where smog is so thick they tell people not to go outside, it looks like fog and blocks your vision after a couple city blocks. No cat converters on the cars. Make sure you go buy an EV though you filthy polluting American!
Where the employees are paid dirt, made to work 16-18 hour days, and sent packing if they get hurt.
Where the employees can be toddlers, so long as they can do the work at pace.
Where they provide shared bunks for the workers because they can;t afford to live outside the factory, and/or don;t have time to leave between shifts if they want more then 3 hours of sleep.
Where they put nets all around the outside and posted guards because people were jumping off the roof too frequently.

China, where they have forced labor camps simply because you are not Han Chinese. Disnep thanks the chinese gov't for allowing them to shoot the live action mulan film with slave labor from the camps.
Better hope you are not a common blood type.....

But hey! The phone would cost more if it was made somewhere else! And it is a good product!

Consumers choose to buy this, so this is what we get. No amount of copium changes what is happening over there.
I've been to China at least fifty times. How about you?

Auto Transport Service
Back