• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a little help from those with more knowledge then me.

Deereman_1

Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 68 Coronet 440 that was completely disassembled 14 years ago. It came with most of the parts that were taken off but is missing a few things. It was a small block v8 car but I am putting a 440 back in and will need all of the cooling system parts. According to the fender tag it was ordered with the max cool option but I didn't get the fan or any of those parts with it. What I am looking for is what would be normal for a big block A/C car with the max cool option? I also did not get the fuel tank for it and have found that there is several options for this car. The difference is the number of connections and the sizes of them, I am assuming I will want the bigger sizes with the big block but what about a return lines and venting connections? Sorry for the long winded story but even though I am taking some liberties with the car (cloning a R/T) I do still want to keep it as close to original as I can. If anyone has the correct part numbers for the items I would need that would be great also, Thanks for any help that can be provided.

1968 Coronet.jpg

20240419_212046.jpg

Last edited:
The original radiator would have been 2898 041 (w/ 318 max cool/AC). If it had been a 440 car, the max cooling would have been 2949 054; if 383 or 440 with A/C, then 2898 047.
I don't 'think?' there were vapor return lines in '68??
Pic of fender tag or broadcast sheet if available?

Edit: Only one fuel tank listed for all B-bodies except Charger and wagons: 2880 434. 19 gallons. No return lines or any of that.

Last edited:
The original radiator would have been 2898 041 (w/ 318 max cool/AC). If it had been a 440 car, the max cooling would have been 2949 054; if 383 or 440 with A/C, then 2898 047.
I don't 'think?' there were vapor return lines in '68??
Pic of fender tag or broadcast sheet if available?
I will post the fender tag when I get a chance, would it had a fan spacer or a clutch fan drive?

Original 273/318 w/ AC in '68 would have been a 'thermal drive' clutch 2536 675, and 2863 228 fan. (Edit: - grain of salt on this combo...seemingly a mis-match?)

A '68 440 w/ AC would have been a 'thermal drive' clutch 2658 456, and 1985 513 fan (Edit: Mitchell disagrees with Hurd and I think Mitchell is correct with fan # 2863 216)

Last edited:
Original 273/318 w/ AC in '68 would have been a 'thermal drive' clutch 2536 675, and 2863 228 fan.
A '68 440 w/ AC would have been a 'thermal drive' clutch 2658 456, and 1985 513 fan
Thanks for all of the info, this will help me tremendously. I want to do right by this car and still build my memory.

440 mag and Hemi cars got the vapor separator for '68.
Possible, but I don't see reference in the parts - maybe the Mopar parts manual would differ. Only thing I see is Hemi and Non for the gauge and that's the diameter of the pick-up tube and fuel lines I believe.

Tanks.jpg

Possible, but I don't see reference in the parts - maybe the Mopar parts manual would differ. Only thing I see is Hemi and Non for the gauge and that's the diameter of the pick-up tube and fuel lines I believe.

View attachment 1699459
Hard to believe, but my 68 R/T originally came with the 3/8 sender with return fitting, & 5/16 fuel line. When I replaced the tank and lines, I reused the original sender and went with a 3/8 line. Never did have any fuel delivery issues with the 5/16, even at the strip.

I recently installed a new fuel tank and went with 3/8" sender and 1/4" return lines...383 Magnum. What I've read is going with a bigger sender line doesn't make a meaningful difference to performance.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back