• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with distributor that came in my 505…

Justasgood

Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
No markings that I can find. Appears to be a fixed distributor with no vacuum or mechanical advance. Can this be used on the street or is it strictly track/race?

Thanks in advance!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

VA isn't needed on the street it's just for efficiency when at cruising speeds (if i read correctly when i was looking it up myself)

VA isn't needed on the street it's just for efficiency when at cruising speeds (if i read correctly when i was looking it up myself)
I’m not concerned about having vacuum advance, it’s just that I see no adjustments for curve advance.

Seems like the timing gets locked in at whatever advance you set and that’s it. So if you set the timing at 36* advance, it starts, idles and runs at that timing which seems like for daily driving, a recipe for higher temps.

I’m not concerned about having vacuum advance, it’s just that I see no adjustments for curve advance.

Seems like the timing gets locked in at whatever advance you set and that’s it. So if you set the timing at 36* advance, it starts, idles and runs at that timing which seems like for daily driving, a recipe for higher temps.
ahh sorry.. so if you hold the bottom of the shaft you can't twist the rotor at all?

@HALIFAXHOPS knows all things dist.. he will probably know exactly what it is, where it was made and the guys name that set it up that day..

No markings that I can find. Appears to be a fixed distributor with no vacuum or mechanical advance. Can this be used on the street or is it strictly track/race?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 1691863View attachment 1691864View attachment 1691865
I don't recognize the distgributor, but I am guessing the mechanical advance is below the plate that holds the pickup. Most likely you have the choice for advance or locked out, but you will have to take it apart to see what you have. Kind of neat because it looks like a magneto from the outside, so would be great for a nostalgia type AFX car.

That looks to me more like a "ready to run" distributor than a "magneto" - particularly since it has a reluctor wheel. For what little I know about distributors !!

Is that a coil lead sticking out of it!?

In post #1, it looks like it has a module in it, similar to a HEI module. So my guess it is not magneto ign [ wouldn't need a module ], but magneto-look-a-like.

Some sort of billet electronic distributor, new one on me ford? internals?

Auto Transport Service
Back