• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 440 build issues

chermik1999

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm sure I'm not in the proper location but here goes.
Have a new built 440 with .509 purple cam and goodies. Would be around 500hp more or less. This thing should smoke the tires running a 3.23 posi. It's a dog and can't even chirp anything but my fuel drop..lol
I have AFR approx 13.8- 14.2 at idle. Light throttle running in the 12's. When mash pedal I get between 16-18 AFR. plugs are light grey to dark white.

Obviously im having issues getting fuel and/or ignition timing right. Leaning more to fuel delivery. I'll list what I have done so far for these symptoms. Am in need of help from some pros.
- MSD 6A box with 6546 dist. Using FBO 14° bushing.
- initial at 24° and all in at 38°. Tried 21 and 35 just bumped up but no change.
- eddy AVS2 800 1913 carb
- 3/8" fuel line from tank to replaced fuel pump
- 30 micron billet fuel filter after regulator running 6-7 psi

I just can't get this going at all. I have a Brawler 850 to put back on if I think it'll make a difference. But with only 5-6hg vacuum, we'll need to change out power valves I believe.

Has anyone had this happen or can chime in as I'm going crazy and played with this off and on since last fall.

Thanks in advance.

20240606_155048.jpg

Your 3.23 gears is probably to tall of a gear for that camshaft, also what convertor are you running? A stock converter most likely won't be very compatable with that camshaft either.

Sorry...is a 3500 stall. Or supposed to be..is new trans as well so had 2 items to watch for.
A few years ago had a 440 built for my sins 72 charger. Only 2.76 1 legger...we could smoke the one tire...can't.see what's wrong here?
But having a lean WOT tells me it needs fuel...no?

Did so...was new build but did it anyway. 160 across

I think 906 and champion. They had it on a run stand and was good. Got it back and started my stuff. That's where I'm having problems

Well, idle, light throttle and full throttle are all separate fuel circuits in a carburetor. Sounds like you could just need to do some rejetting on the secondaries. But I may just be over-simplifying your issues. I do agree a strong cam and 3.23 gears may not be a good combination depending on the converter.

Oki...makes sense. If I only had the 1 issue that 3.55 or more would take care of, I'd be ok. It's in a lil red express. So nothing for weight. The old 69 440 smoked the tires. I sent it out when I got this one to re do for my 71 GTX. So with this combo I should get something. But remember the 16-18 AFR reading. It's starving for fuel or timing? See the plug?
I had a 2800 stall and changed for the 3500. Same result?

What heat range of plug? Looking at the picture I am guessing you have to hot of plugs and need to rejet the carb.

Well I can put in autolites and re jet or put that brawler back on. Also dump the mech pump and run and run an elec. Have it all in hand.

Am looking for ideas as I'm stumped..

Just seems it's needs something more. Ignition issues or small carb?

When the motor was built did you degree the cam?

Whatever is wrong...it's not the rear end ratio and torque converter choice (unless the converter has something wrong with it of course).

My reasoning - I have a 318 poly stroked to 354 cu in. 3.23 gears and a stock converter. It will light up the 245 rear tires easily.

With 90 extra cubes and less weight you should have no issues.

Look at your plug part number..champion gets colder with smaller numbers. Champion and autolite plugs come in different heat ranges. Just switching brands in itself you may not change anything. Compare electrodes on the two plugs if they look similiar they are the same heat range. Too hot of heat range can make it like it is pulling a plow, really, really hot it can cause detonation from the electrode glowing red... and it can completely flame out and die in some situations. It's where I would start before you get to switching carburetors. At least tell us what range of plug you have for starters.

Last edited:
You are checking the right stuff. Usually with these there is no info at all.

Just to throw some stuff in the mix:

Do you have info on if your cam was degreed?

Did your cam and lifters survive break-in unscathed? Maybe drain just a little oil and look for metal.

You seem to be questioning the 3500 stall. Try a brake test flash and see what the tach reads. 509 cam really needs converter and gear if you want to make it work.

Whatever is wrong...it's not the rear end ratio and torque converter choice (unless the converter has something wrong with it of course).

My reasoning - I have a 318 poly stroked to 354 cu in. 3.23 gears and a stock converter. It will light up the 245 rear tires easily.

With 90 extra cubes and less weight you should have no issues.
Agreed

You are checking the right stuff. Usually with these there is no info at all.

Just to throw some stuff in the mix:

Do you have info on if your cam was degreed?

Did your cam and lifters survive break-in unscathed? Maybe drain just a little oil and look for metal.

You seem to be questioning the 3500 stall. Try a brake test flash and see what the tach reads. 509 cam really needs converter and gear if you want to make it work.

Don't have cam info, but was on a run stand for breakin..no noises.
Break test is close to the 3500. If I had full power I'm sure would make it. Just seems low power especially with the lean condition and WOT. If it weren't for that I would look elsewhere. It needs fuel I think?

Auto Transport Service
Back