• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 440 build issues

Single plane sucks for low ram torque and mixture. Maybe start jetting up primary side 2 at a time and try it. Run the timing up to about 45 or so... make sure it will still turn over. Advance it until it cranks hard and back it off a little... see where it's at then.

Single plane sucks for low ram torque and mixture. Maybe start jetting up primary side 2 at a time and try it. Run the timing up to about 45 or so... make sure it will still turn over. Advance it until it cranks hard and back it off a little... see where it's at then.
Wow...that much. So 45 at 2800 ish and try it?

Try it. Make sure you have good high octane gas.

92 here is normal. One can get 94 but tanknis full now.
I'm thinking I'll put the brawler back on. Change the power valve to a 3 and up the timing. Will have to re fab up the bracket for lokar again as I'm sure will change from the eddy.

92 is good. More timing More gas. Check exhaust manifold temperature. If they glow, not enough timing.

I can tell you this. 16 gal tank. Made 3 runs.of 3kms ea and used 1/2 tank...lol

Also the balancer shifted. I found TDC and put on tape for new TDC. But to be sure, ordered a new balancer from summit. As soon as it comes will install to be sure.

I'm not asking what your timing is at a certain rpm. I'm asking if you've observed the movement of the timing as you increase the throttle, and when you suddenly WOT the carb. What does the timing do.
Ohh...no did not. What thinking?

Ohh...no did not. What thinkin

Ohh...no did not. What thinking?
That's good point. Maybe have ignition problems. The dist they sent with was a generic mopar and on their MSD box. Like non re curvable. So have the 9546 on now. Have a peformance world ready run coming shortly. Will try that as well. I'm on a mission that I can solve this mystery with ya'lls help.

Wut ? I'm referring to the accelerator pump circuit on the carb. When you "mash the pedal" as you state, the accelerator pump supplies an instant squirt of fuel during the no vacuum condition.
Will check that as well. Making notes as many great ideas.

With 3.23 gear gearing incl. a sure grip and having only 160 psi cranking pressure i think you will not spin those tires.
That cam is a little large to give any push at low rpm.
I believe the purple cam has 242* advertised duration, i have a similar cam, 4.10 rear gearing and 165 psi CP and burns tires all day with that combo.
When you floor the pedal it will just take off right? No stumbling or other abnormalities? Where does the rpm go if you floor it from standstill?

I haven't read all the posts, but a single plane intake & a high rpm cam??
That will be part of the problem, plus you have a heavy car with a 3.23 axle.
Not a recipe for spinning tyres......
Sometimes, too, engines just do not come together 'right'... for no obvious reason.
Nick's garage has recently dynoed a 383 rebuilt to factory specs. Max tq is down about 40 ft/lbs from the factory rating. Much testing/adjusting has not improved it.
[1] Your plugs are OK, do NOT go colder. Too many people install cold plugs that are not needed & which then foul.
[2] You have the best carb on the engine now.
[3] 5-6" of vacuum at idle? Something wrong there, maybe wiped cam lobes or CR is very low.
[4] If vac is 5-6" at idle, the met rod pistons in the carb are probably bouncing around. To check, loosen piston cover & move slightly so that piston is visible. Tighten cover screw. Engine idling, put in gear; pistons should go down & not move. Not down, or any movement requires softer springs.

Auto Transport Service
Back