• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New and Thank you! Question as well

Hardball

Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for the add! Hope it's okay to ask a question at this point. I need some advice please. Recently picked up a 65 Belvedere II 318 poly automatic. Well it wasn't long before it started leaking a good amount of tranny fluid on my garage floor from the speedometer cable. I ordered a speedometer cable housing seal set but when looking at the area, I'm wondering if the transmission cross member has to come out to get to it? The cable just has the one 1/2" bolt with the little fork but it seems very hard to get at. Thank you all

Welcome from Southern California. Never worked on a 1965, but I'd guess it's very similar to late 60's vehicles. Just jack the car up, put it on stands and give yourself enough elbow room to work around the exhaust pipes. You can do it Hardball. I prefer to remove as few parts as possible.

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

good luck with the speedo cable seal install
I'm not 100% familiar with the 65 either

I would suggest buying a Factory Service Manual
year 65 & make Plymouth
, even model specific if you can
1st thing, & for future questions & repairs
it will be well worth what ever you spend
They all have detailed instructions for a novice too, pictures/schematic & diagrams too

there are some places on-line you can see them in PDF form
MyMopar.com in the tools & reference section is one place
you'll have to navigate thru their web site, it's changed
AllPar.com possibly too

Welcome to the site!! And I too do not know much about the 65's and older but we have tech forums here that are just for those......

Welcome to the site from s carolina and :xscuseless:

Welcome (3)f.jpg

Mine's a 4-speed so no help answering your question. Have you tried posting it here Engine, Trans & Driveline

or here 1962 - 1965 Mopars ?

Thank you guys! I'm gonna give it a shot like Hevy suggested. Great advice all

Welcome from the central coast of Cal. Your car started out like mine, 65 Coronet 500, when new. Poly engine then changed to a 440 well before I bought it.

IMG_4424.jpeg

Hi Hardball, welcome!
R703ac691311c5f751982ae2f1b324dd8.jpg

Not everyone looks are the Welcome Wagon, so they may not see your question. Why not start a new thread in the appropriate forum?

Welcome from Alabama, looks like @moparedtn showed you the picture from the service manual. Looking at that, I believe it can be serviced without removing the cross member.

Auto Transport Service
Back