• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here, with a kickdown issue

64fury

Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals

New here, but it looks like the right place to ask my questions, at last a decent looking pre 66' group!

This might be long, so I appologise in advance.

I have a 64' Sport Fury, with a 383 and 727, having a few issues which have kept her of the road last year and so far this year, most of the issues I can esily fix when the Fiance gives me the time to do so! ie: leaky MC, replace the seal on the diff etc!

But there is one issue that i've been running down and been able to solve totaly. Which is my shift and the kickdown.

My car has a 383 with a edlebrock 4bbl, a 64' 727 tranny, floor shifter, when I first got the car the shifter was out of sync, ie: the car would be in drive, but the shifter would be inbetween N and R, found out it had a shifter from a A-100 van in it. So I found the correct shifter and cable, installed it and evrything was fine except it wouldn't shift down at hi-way speeds, tried adjusting the kickdown linkage (non stock linkage) which made little if any diffrence. Had the linkage at the far limits of it's adjustment range.

I have the 64' service manual from Detroit Iron and have tried the adjusting procedure in there, but with the non stock kickdown linkage on the carb I haven't had any sucess.

So thats where I am now, with a car that won't shift down, so what would my next step be? I have arebuild kit for the tranny but would like to solve this without having to drop the tranny, or at least try to first.

Hope some one can shed some light on my issue, would really like to drive this car some time soon!

Mike B

I will suggest what is probably the easy way out and that would be to get a kick down cable kit. Have one on my car...............don't know if it works or not cause it hasn't been started yet. :rolling:

Thanks for the info

Is there a partcular brand/style of which is best or ones to stay away from?

My tranny has a kickdown linkage/rod, how does replacing it with a cable work?

Will post pics soon! Not on my home computer right now.

The Lokar set up looks clean and effective, would you still need the Edlebrock Adaptor for the kickdown cable? Edlebrock #1481 http://store.edelbrock.com/search.a...et up is trouble free,Lokar is hit and miss..

I would run away from the Lokar,the Bouchillon set up is trouble free,Lokar is hit and miss..

Thanks for the info, was about to order the Lokar set-up, but after reading some review I think the Bouchillon kit is the way to go!

Everyone has an opinion about these things. I've used several and have one (Lokar) on my Duster right now. No issues at all. But others have had issues with the Lokar, and I'm sure there is probably someone out there who has had an issue with the Bouchillon (assuming it isn't a repackaged Lokar kit to begin with)

I dont have a kickdown because I run a manual valve body but I use the Lokar Accel cable and it works great for me. I installed and adjusted it when I put the eng in back in 2006 and I have not touched it since then. And it has worked perfect. Ron

Everyone has an opinion about these things. I've used several and have one (Lokar) on my Duster right now. No issues at all. But others have had issues with the Lokar, and I'm sure there is probably someone out there who has had an issue with the Bouchillon (assuming it isn't a repackaged Lokar kit to begin with)

Don't "assume",Bouchillon makes their own,if it were repackaged Lokar everyone using it would have the same issues.May be a little more money but it works.

Well I ordered a kit from Mancini Racing, On their web site it look identical to that offered on the Bouchillon site, same pictures and everything, same price, same shipping times etc!.

It came in the mail today and while the parts all have a Mancini Racing sticker on them, the throttle cable bracket it laser cut with Bouchillon's BPE logo and packaged with the older style Mopar logo's on the packaging and the rest of the parts all have the Bouchillon logo on them.

So I think it's safe to assume that the Bouchillon and Mancini kits are the same.

Can't wait to install it and see it it cures my woes!

100_1124.jpg

100_1123.jpg

good luck, it was an easy install! The worst part is installing the Throttle valve lever with the trans in the car...

Eric
68 Charger R/T!

Auto Transport Service
Back