• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No dipstick?

There hasn't been dipsticks in automatic transmissions for awhile. :rolleyes:

I remember several makers having "low oil" lights in the dash. A sensor in the oil pan tells you when its a quart low.

I want a dipstick, at least a way to visually check any fluid levels. Cars for dumb asses!

Example...

How the hell did she get the beans above the frank? :lol:

My JGC has no dip in the trans and they say lifetime fluid , read to leave it but I am on the fence about that

Reminds me of this...

1717589283274.png

Air/Oil separator is going south. Pull the intake and replace the separator along with all connecting hoses. Use the thicker walled cold weather hoses if available.

My '98 M Roadster (3.2 liter engine) with 127,000 miles uses less than a quart in 6,000 miles.

Not all BMW dealerships are nice. Standards may vary.

BMW: Buy More Wrenches
If someone just has to have a BMW, then they should buy an old one and be mechanically inclined. Otherwise, for those with bountiful disposable income, lease one every three years or buy a new one or buy a CPO and take it to the dealership for service and maintenance.

Not all BMW dealerships are nice. Standards may vary.
BMW: Bring My Wallet

Getting rid of the dipstick provides better sealing of the engine to control vacuum to better control emissions.

The BMW oil level sensor also tells you when the sensor has gone bad. I hope Ram does the same thing.
Maybe so...But by doing this, the computer now runs everything instead of us humans taking care of things as we should. Glad both of mine...2010 and 2013 models...still do...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

My JGC has no dip in the trans and they say lifetime fluid , read to leave it but I am on the fence about that
I have a 2014 JGC with the diesel (420 lb-ft) and 8 speed. Lifetime fill. 104k, (knock,knock) no issues. We do have a sensor for low level but top off is a bitch and requires partial disassembly.

No dipstick? But it does have...

3 cameras for the gov't to spy
7 CPU boards for the truck to run
9 ground wires, one will surely die
1 satellite antenna to send all the data to the dark lord, in the land of mordor where the shadows lie.

1719115043486.png

When you buy your new truck, they will be watching you.......

These vehicles aren't going
to on be the road past 2035
anyway.../s.
The lack of dipsticks forces
the warranty requirements
be followed. Don't show up
for your $239.95 oil change
under warranty, you're
screwed. Dealerships are
really hurting for business.
The last time I had the
pleasure of visiting one,
I was charged $25.00 for
bay space.

I use to check it once a week, since I was taught that as a kid. I haven't checked the oil in any of my cars in 20 years. I have the oil changed on all my new cars at 500 miles, comes with the deal or I don't buy. I check it for the first 2500 miles, if it's good, so am I. I have my oil changed every 2500 miles, synthetic or not after that. I had a guy say to me once, you don't check your oil. I told him if it burns so much oil that it burns up in 2500 miles, I don't want it. The Coronet gets change every 2000 miles, full synthetic and I checked it once before I changed it, perfect. I had one new vehicle that burned oil, a 91 minivan. One quart every 800 mile. I was obligated by Chrysler law to own them for at least 6 months, how long do you think I owned it................

My oil story….

We have a 2012 Ford 1 ton van for my daughters lift van. Yes, I know, but Ford was the only one making a full sized van. Anyway, it started using oil right away. So I mention it to my buddy, who is an engineer at Ford in the 5.4 engine. He says yes, there’s a problem with the valve seals, and there’s a TSB on it. So I take it to the dealership, and they want an oil study, basically they change the oil, you bring it in every 1000 miles for 3000 miles and they check the oil, with the dipstick I might add. Anyway, the bride takes it in all 3 times, it uses a quart every 1000 miles. I’m the last check, the smug little service manager tells her that’s normal and they’re not doing anything about it. SOL!

Umm, no! That’s when I step in. I take a copy of the TSB in, round up the service manager, the sales manager, and show them the TSB, then tell the sales manager what the service manager said. I then told him to instruct every dalesman they had to inform potential customers that when they buy a vehicle with the 5.4 that they will be using a quart of oil every 1000 miles, and Ford considers that “normal”.

Somehow, this gets to the owner pronto, and all of a sudden they’re going to honor the TSB and fix the van, but it’s going to take 4 days to tear down the engine and fix the problem. We take the van in expecting to wait 4 days to get it back, but low and behold, it’s fixed the same day. When I go to pick it up, they tell me that it’s a quart low and needs an oil change, which is extra if they do it. I told them to bring it around, and they will never see the van or my patronage ever again. And I’m going to replay this incident to whomever and wherever I can, which I do when I see them posting on the local community pages.

Oh, and my buddy wrote the TSB and said changing the oil was part of the service bulletin, but dealers regularly don’t do it to generate money from the warranty jobs.

Brighton Ford in Brighton, Michigan. Buyer beware! By the way, the service manager was fired over this, for misrepresentation for trying to snow my wife over this. And the whole time, he stood there with a stupid “I’m busted” look on his face when I had them all lined up. Sauce for the goose for me!

My oil story….

We have a 2012 Ford 1 ton van for my daughters lift van. Yes, I know, but Ford was the only one making a full sized van. Anyway, it started using oil right away. So I mention it to my buddy, who is an engineer at Ford in the 5.4 engine. He says yes, there’s a problem with the valve seals, and there’s a TSB on it. So I take it to the dealership, and they want an oil study, basically they change the oil, you bring it in every 1000 miles for 3000 miles and they check the oil, with the dipstick I might add. Anyway, the bride takes it in all 3 times, it uses a quart every 1000 miles. I’m the last check, the smug little service manager tells her that’s normal and they’re not doing anything about it. SOL!

Umm, no! That’s when I step in. I take a copy of the TSB in, round up the service manager, the sales manager, and show them the TSB, then tell the sales manager what the service manager said. I then told him to instruct every dalesman they had to inform potential customers that when they buy a vehicle with the 5.4 that they will be using a quart of oil every 1000 miles, and Ford considers that “normal”.

Somehow, this gets to the owner pronto, and all of a sudden they’re going to honor the TSB and fix the van, but it’s going to take 4 days to tear down the engine and fix the problem. We take the van in expecting to wait 4 days to get it back, but low and behold, it’s fixed the same day. When I go to pick it up, they tell me that it’s a quart low and needs an oil change, which is extra if they do it. I told them to bring it around, and they will never see the van or my patronage ever again. And I’m going to replay this incident to whomever and wherever I can, which I do when I see them posting on the local community pages.

Oh, and my buddy wrote the TSB and said changing the oil was part of the service bulletin, but dealers regularly don’t do it to generate money from the warranty jobs.

Brighton Ford in Brighton, Michigan. Buyer beware! By the way, the service manager was fired over this, for misrepresentation for trying to snow my wife over this. And the whole time, he stood there with a stupid “I’m busted” look on his face when I had them all lined up. Sauce for the goose for me!
With my van, Chrysler said 600 miles was excepable. I think not. Within the last few years my bother and his girlfriend had both their engines replaced by Hyundai for oil consumption. No problem, after a consumption test was given on both vehicles.

Auto Transport Service
Back