• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No (Little) Squirter Action

bobfake

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

My 383, 4 speed started running poorly a few days ago. Started to stumble badly pulling out from a stop. the more I drove it the more it started to backfire through the exhaust.

I checked the following:

1) Vacuum Leak - none found
2) Float Levels - dribbles out of sight hole when bumping the car
3) Plug wires - all seem to be OK
4) Firing Order - OK
5) Distributor cap and rotor - seem to be fine (Distributor is a freshly rebuilt unit)
6) Timing - 12 degrees initial and advances as expected with increased RPM
7) Power Valve - I may have had a backfire through the carb recently - could have been exhaust but sounded under the hood - I couldn't really tell - so I changed the power valve.

After changing the power valve - I can barely get it to start. Noticed the squirters do very little, so changed the diaphragm, but no change.

I'm kinda lost at the moment...

Carb is a Holley 0-80459SA 4160 750 CFM vac. secondary w/ electric choke

Thanks - Bob

It sounds like it might be going lean at idle.

I would make sure that the accelerator pump arm is set correctly, then adjust the idle mixture screws. I think the accelerator pump is what pushes fuel to the squirter. If it's not working right, you will experience the issues described.

It sounds like it might be going lean at idle.

I would make sure that the accelerator pump arm is set correctly, then adjust the idle mixture screws. I think the accelerator pump is what pushes fuel to the squirter. If it's not working right, you will experience the issues described.
Thanks - I checked that...Even when I manually actuated the accelerator pump, I got very little squirt. Bowl is full, so no shortage of fuel.

Could be the bowl gasket is blocking the pump passage.
Check it, and check the pump flow while it's off the carb

Umm... Never mind, I thought this thread was going in a totally different direction. Carry on... :poke:

Last edited:
Thanks - I checked that...Even when I manually actuated the accelerator pump, I got very little squirt. Bowl is full, so no shortage of fuel.
Weird...

It's always frustrating when something should work, but doesn't. Maybe your backfire knocked off a vacuum plug or hose somewhere? I had that happen once. I didn't realize it until I moved the car and found my vacuum plug sitting the driveway.

If you don't get any fuel out of the squirters, wouldn't the accelerator pump be bad?

Here you go:
1) Reseat check ball in the bottom of the accelerator pump housing (1 strike with a punch/hammer)
2) Any movement of the throttle arm should move the accelerator pump arm.
3) When the pump arm is completely compressed you should still have a few thousandths play (not bottomed out)
4) As mentioned, bowl to metering block gasket holes must line up at accelerator pump passage.
5) Pull squirter nozzle and check that the check valve is loose in bore.
6) Check that squirter nozzles are both open.

Attachments

• techlibrary_carburetor_tech_info.pdf
    131.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Here you go:
1) Reseat check ball in the bottom of the accelerator pump housing (1 strike with a punch/hammer)
3) When the pump arm is completely compressed you should still have a few thousandths play (not bottomed out)
4) As mentioned, bowl to metering block gasket holes must line up at accelerator pump passage.
Thanks!!

Hi all…put a new carb on and it resolved the problem. I’ll take some time to go through the other one to see if I can identify the problem…

Thanks!!!
Bob

Squirt carb cleaner in the Squirters. They could be plugged. And check to make sure the pump arm is adjusted correctly. Then check to verify you have a nice stream of gas from the Squirters.

Look at the accelerator pump's INLET VALVE.....sometimes it could be an inverted red silicon device (looks like an inverted umbrella) under the accelerator pump's diaphragm or a small steel ball valve or orifice that may have dirt in it or the pump discharge counter weight, directly under the accelerator pump discharge nozzles.......just a thought....
BOB RENTON

Look at the accelerator pump's INLET VALVE.....sometimes it could be an inverted red silicon device (looks like an inverted umbrella) under the accelerator pump's diaphragm or a small steel ball valve or orifice that may have dirt in it or the pump discharge counter weight, directly under the accelerator pump discharge nozzles.......just a thought....
BOB RENTON
Thanks Bob. What fluid can I use to bench test instead of gasoline?

Here you go:
Yes I’ve had the check valve under squirted freeze in the day. I second checking that

Auto Transport Service
Back