• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a Mopar but what a bummer

At a GMC/Buick/Pontiac/Isuzu/Subaru dealer I worked at, parts, in the early 90's they had an incident not long before I started there. A customer brings in his new extended cab GMC dually for its first oil service. It's a waiter too, customer is in the lounge. Tech puts it up in the air to drop the oil, comes in to parts to get his filter. Walks back out and the truck is upside down on the cab between the lift posts. 2 post unit. Customer didn't blow a gasket, just said give him a call when his new truck arrives.
And expect the dealer gave him a nice truck to use until his new truck arrived.

I worked with 125 different dealership over 7 western states
& 2 in Kansas & 2 in Texas, no one is like the other,
no one employee, is like the others,
there's good & horrid dealers/full on shysters...

But, for the most part
"most of the people/employees are all standup car people"
(aside for a select few salesman/finance douches sometimes
coming & going like an open revolving door
)
&
"most all the techs & parts dept. guys, even the service writers
are full on stand up honest, cars guys too"
(some younger/wet behind the ears still, guys or gals aside or detail guys/gals)
they all dislike that sh-t just as much as any of US all do...

Makes the whole dealership/industry all look bad...

Like any profession (or esp. one in politics) some %'s are either usually
'immature or an old senile' asshole, stayed way beyond his time...
Anyway it is, unfortunate & it has to f--k it up, for everyone else...

carry on
my $1.25

Last edited:
At a GMC/Buick/Pontiac/Isuzu/Subaru dealer I worked at, parts, in the early 90's they had an incident not long before I started there. A customer brings in his new extended cab GMC dually for its first oil service. It's a waiter too, customer is in the lounge. Tech puts it up in the air to drop the oil, comes in to parts to get his filter. Walks back out and the truck is upside down on the cab between the lift posts. 2 post unit. Customer didn't blow a gasket, just said give him a call when his new truck arrives.
No use crying over spilled milk....raising cane sure won't put it back in the bottle so staying calm and saying 'give me a call when the new one arrives' is the best thing to do.

amazes me sometimes how the dealerships think they are better off charging 150 bucks an hour and paying a tech like 16,
I’m sure a bunch of members work or worked at dealerships and hope things have changed for the better…at least comparing to what my brother and his buddy experienced years ago as mechanics. They’d get so much ‘time’ to do a repair and if it took longer it became their problem. And the dealerships my brother worked at had asshole owners. I had some dealings with one of them. Complete tyrannical sumbitch.

Wife and I were negotiating with a sales guy trying to buy a new Pontiac…back & forth for 45-minutes with the trade-in. We were close on making a deal; but owner walks in the office and behind the sales guy’s desk grabbing the paperwork, stared at it for 15-seconds and shouted to him “What ya trying to do, GIVE the car away!” He threw the papers he half crumpled up back on the sales guy’s desk and walked out. That prick never even acknowledged our existence. Gets better.

Sales guy started crying. He proceeds to tell us he can’t take working there anymore and was going to quit that day. He said I’ll get a job at another dealership and asked if he could call us to buy a car when he found a job. He did a few weeks later calling us, but we went elsewhere and bought a car. I wished him all the best.

Lol, have a couple stories about that owner. He had a buddy customer who wanted to check out the new Riviera models. He called his manager to bring up a Riv he had. Except it was nowhere to be found. He goes ballistic – all hands-on-deck to FIND it or heads will roll. No can find. He ordered a call to the local PD. They found it, got the car pulled over on the highway surrounded by a couple squads. Chief called him about a snag though. Owner’s WIFE was behind the wheel. Old Ernie forgot that he let his wife use it…

I love how the mentality at some dealers is, "a monkey could do your job". On Terry's ordeal, wow! Dealers are famous for getting the cheapest quality/cost job done on screwups like his. At another one I worked at, the lot lizard wrecked a new Durango[ this is around 99]. They did the repair at the dealer next doors body shop, owned by same corporation. They put it back on the lot with a higher price than another one they had that was identical. Some friends were looking to buy the padded one and when I found out, gave them the background story.

My 2015 Challenger R/T shaker a few years ago was in to the dealer because the backup camera had come unplugged and the car is under warranty. Simple job- open trunk lid, remove insulation pad and plug back in. I didn't get a call to come get the car later so I drop in to the dealer. I was told "we have good news and bad news." The good news is the camera had come unplugged. The bad news is your car was damaged." The technician had tried to get to the camera plug by prying off the spoiler. He really damaged the trunk lid. The car comes back from the body shop and I'm inspecting it. The tailight bezel is damaged. It got stuck and a prybar was used to removed it and cracked the bezel. $1200 to replace it after I complained to the manager as the service manager said "These things happen and we're not fixing it." Dealer fixed it. In the time it was being repaired, I needed a loaner car. I was told they didn't have any. I told them "see that Scatpak Challenger out there on the lot, that's my loaner car." When the manager found out what had happened (they didn't tell him at first), I got the Scatpak for a week to use. Here's some photos of the damaged trunk lid. The service rep actually told me that they could have glued the spoiler back on and not told me of the damage underneath. He was gone shortly after that.
Terry W.

View attachment 1693224

View attachment 1693226
Wow!!!

Restoration shop around Kenosha that I took my ride to (on a carrier) to do some tweaking they were highly purported to be able to do. Total failure(s) in all respects. My brother took me to pick up the car and got chatting with the ‘mechanic’ while I was up front discussing their ‘work’, he says to my brother, want to take a test ride with me? It was a Shelby stang. Test drive? This kid called a mechanic beat the crap out of it, redlining, missing a shift, etc. Made me wonder if he took my ride on a similar test.

Hard to believe this guy would take a stranger on such a ride with a customer’s rare and expensive vehicle.
What shop was it? I did a lot of work in Kenosha.

I never eat any food in my
cars and instead eat inside
the establisment where the
food was purchased.
Imagine my surprise at
finding some dropped
fries under the drivers' seat,
and a couple tater tots under
the other.
I had the car at the
dealership for some routine
warranty work.
I set the fries and tots on
the counter at the service
desk on my next visit.
I requested my vehicle not
be used for the lunch run.
Their reply was that they
do not drive customers'
cars except for test drives
after servicing.....

When I go in for any work, I make it perfectly clear what I want and don't want. I don't like the dealer that does my work and I've told them a few times, but he's not 4 miles from me and that's just to convenient. They do great work, but the service writers and bosses are ********. I've told them, when two ******** meet, you're never going to win. I like to call it, mutual disrespect, with a twist of fear. I know this sounds stupid and senseless. It' seems we live in a world that if you don't make your case first, you can end up being the joke of the day. This is not the case everywhere we go, thank God. Dealerships are known for it and they can smell blood in the water. I have a few friends with dealerships, I've heard it all.

The lawsuit claims that dealership employee, Matthew Sebastian got behind the wheel of the car and fellow employee Joseph Ingram got in the passenger seat. At that point Sebastian seemed to make one terrible decision after another. According to the factory track data recorder, Sebastian never put on his seatbelt. He then took the car on I-95 North. 3 seconds before the crash, the accelerator was 95 percent depressed and the Camaro was going 89 mph. Half a second later the accelerator was not being pressed at all. This indicates that the driver floored the accelerator, lost control, and then got off the accelerator. The car left the center lane, crossed the right-hand lane, and hit the guardrail. Thankfully no injuries were reported but the car was a total loss.

On July 1 the attorney representing Habul filed a motion for a default judgement against the dealership and Sebastian. The motion claimed that the defendants did not file an appearance by the June 25 deadline. However, on July 10 the court denied the motion as they said an appearance was filed. Legal technicalities aside, this is a bad look for the dealership. And now the world is down another Camaro ZL1 1LE that can never be replaced.​

IMG_0378.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back