• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd help

Rallye440

Local time
5:44 PM
Reaction score
Hello all, had this car for 21 years and have been enjoying it on and off. At a point in life now I can devote a little more time.
This regards the front clip. When I bought the car long ago it had 73-74 grilles and about a year or two ago swapped in correct 71-2 grilles but fit funny. The car has always had the 73-4 bumperetts which I hate. I fear this car was In A front wreck at some point in its life and the incorrect year parts were installed. Could be wrong?
Is there a way to tell if the correct bumper is on the car as well as front fenders I know had different clearance in the wheel openings.
Long term goal is to install hideaways however need to start with the correct bumper first! Thank you.

IMG_7259.jpeg

IMG_7230.jpeg

Resized_20220910_115744.jpeg

65480861555__66BBDDE4-22BE-4503-981A-692592C7A0E8.jpeg

IMG_3897.jpeg

Check year in VIN and you’ll have your answer

Fenders are correct. Hood appears to be a 73. Radiator support looks straight. Maybe just a light hit to the center that got th bumper and hood. Are the core support numbers there?

Headlights a sitting back which tells me they should have headlight doors. Most likely everything is wrong.

Like "pnora" said, the headlight are sitting back too far. Should be like this for a car w/o concealed headlights. Appears that something is off.

1722985708993.png

Fenders are correct. Hood appears to be a 73. Radiator support looks straight. Maybe just a light hit to the center that got th bumper and hood. Are the core support numbers there?
I found this hood some years back when I was a younger kid. Car came with a flat hood. Any clue as to how it’s a 73? When I put the eldebrock intake on I needed the clearance, plus I liked the look. Thanks

Headlights a sitting back which tells me they should have headlight doors. Most likely everything is wrong.
Hmm, you think the set up was with doors? I’ve tried and had a good Mopar mechanic get them as close to norm as possible. Goal is hideaways at some point in future

If it’s a Rallye it should have come with a bulge hood and not a flat one.

If it’s a Rallye it should have come with a bulge hood and not a flat one.
True, bought it back in 2003 out of PA EBay. Leads me to believe about an accident. Vin and fender tag all say true 72 u code rallye. Unfortunately when my now late father and I restored the car back in 06 the body shop removed the fender tag, which I still have it’s just lost in my house somewhere

I didn’t even notice the headlights. Agree with above that it was likely a hidden headlight car.

Do you have a tag or build sheet?

I didn’t even notice the headlights. Agree with above that it was likely a hidden headlight car.

Do you have a tag or build sheet?
Yeah as stated, have the vin somewhere it’s been lost in the house for a bit. Was there a special code for hideaway package?

Pretty sure it’s L31, don’t have my book handy to confirm.

Didn't see it mentioned-

72 bumper should have a jack slot
and
The recess for the center emblem.

71 bumper has no slots but has the recess.
73/74 bumpers have slots but no recess.

Your bumper looks good and bent, though.

Nice looking car!

I found this hood some years back when I was a younger kid. Car came with a flat hood. Any clue as to how it’s a 73? When I put the eldebrock intake on I needed the clearance, plus I liked the look. Thanks
The vents in the rear of the hood..

I think the bumper is too proud (forward) of the fenders. And maybe leaning forward at thw top. Theres a lot of bumper exposed woth the hood closed. That would make the rallye inserts too far forward and produce the bigger gap around the bulbs.

And the comment above about the vents isn't the existence of vents its the size and gap between the vent sets at centerline. 72 vents, rallye and standard hoods, only have a small gap at centerline. 71 is one continuous vent with a fat spline at centerline. 73 and 74 have a big flat gap either side of centerline.

Not sure about that, every 72 rallye with bulge I’ve seen has vents. The pop up air grabber hood did not
The vents are different for each year. 71 full vents, 72 small gap in the middle, 73 wide gap like yours, 74 no vents.

Not sure about that, every 72 rallye with bulge I’ve seen has vents. The pop up air grabber hood did not
Like the response from Jeff above says it's the SIZE of the vents... Makes it easy to identify the year of the hood.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back