• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh, here we go again

dart4forte

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
Insurance companies on a money binge again. Just got another rate increase notice on my 2007 Dodge Ram CTD. Second one in 18 months. It’s only going to get worse. Oh, and I see progressive is sponsoring Monday Night football.

I was told dont go with the insurance companies that does all the commercials ,yep Im with Jake :BangHead:

My bill for four cars went down.....one dollar.

Both my Home and Auto have doubled in three years even though I reduced coverage. I paid it just to keep the policy going but need to start shopping again. It seems like you have to do it every 3-5 years to keep them honest.

One bit of good news however, got my annual tax statement from the county, my property taxes went down $35.00 for tax year 2025.

Insurance has become what it initially did not start out to be. A Ponzi Scheme it has now become. Fortunately, my Homeowners insurance has remained pretty consistent since I bought my house in 2016. Auto on the other hand is always going up on both vehicles, 2010 and 2013 model years. I drive less than 300 miles annually and even at that not many miles of my driving, are accrued as my runs are less than 20 miles yet they still want to increase my exposure every 6 months. I then have to fight them and give them my Insurance background Agent talk, which just confuses them even more. On my 2013, I still have a note on it, but I am thinking of self-insuring as my balance is less than 8K and I have the cash to do so. That way I can drop Comprehensive as that is always climbing because of all the illegals and non-insured causing the majority of accident claims...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Legal extortion plain & simple...

Not after this latest storm it won't. You want to bet that dollar..................
R1JYir.gif

seems like you have to do it every 3-5 years to keep them honest.
Good advice. It's typical for businesses to shop every 3-years including insurance agents (if not in a captive or self-insured). I was in the industry for several years, on the commercial side, mostly work comp, underwriting and risk control. As well, on the insured side of the table with this. Major PIA; but if having a good claim history, usually worth it.

On the home owner, personal coverage side, I was more trusting than I should have been with agents, finding this out more than once…to my being peeved. I’ll qualify an agent I had for many years, a guy I once worked with, being loony, I discovered later…same guy I placed my biz insurance with when I setup my biz. He had the idea I should be loyal given I was a co-employee back when.

Not to make this a longer post, though I’d like to share stories, it seems to go like this: Some agents, once they have you, get complacent with their average clients. Their priority is getting new clients. Makes sense, sure, but in this mix, they don’t work as diligently to assure their clients they have in their bag are getting every potential deal they might obtain from the numerous insurers they work with. It takes time looking at a client’s file to do this. They DO when they’re trying to bag a new client, while those bagged may not be complaining, it’s left alone. The squeaky wheel thing; but note, not always.

Example is the dipshit agent I trusted. One year my biz liability premium shot up 3-grand! Never had a claim, so asked him what gives? Answer? You’re in the type of business where there’s been many claims. Asked if he looked around and said he did and that’s just the deal, like suck it up. So went out to other agents and go figure, found one who could get me that coverage for 3-grand LESS. Placed that coverage with him leaving the remaining with dipshit…for a while. Then dipshit had the nads the following year to say he could get me that coverage now at the lower cost, not better, expecting me to just come back to him. Longer story here, but that prompted me to pull all my coverage to the other agent.

Every time I took the trouble to put out my coverages to other agencies, PIA, saved money more often than not. Now I do this around every 5-years.

You can shop for insurance all day long, the bargains don't exist, just cheap coverage. My house is three years old and the insurance on it was cheap for a year or two, because it was brand new. Then the world went stupid and costs to rebuild went sky high. Auto insurance is only cheap if you drop coverage and raise your deductible and drive old cars and even then it's not proportional to what you have versus cost. I've been offered really cheap insurance for a year or so, once the hook is set, up it goes. At this point what's important to me is service, the rest is never going to get any better. Watching people that keep telling themselves that you can beat the game, is like people thinking they can make money in Vegas, Vegas wasn't built on winners. Unless the government steps in like they did on flood insurance, subsidised by all of us, hold on..... Some of this is a one off to us and the rest is recurring, not reoccurring, big difference. They got us by the short hairs now and we're still paying for those that make bad decisions.

Much as I like the coasts and water, some areas just aren’t a good place to build or rebuild. Same building in areas that burn. Some pay and some don’t. Spent over $200-grand paying insurance premiums for my biz, never having a claim. That went to others having them..

Insurance companies on a money binge again. Just got another rate increase notice on my 2007 Dodge Ram CTD. Second one in 18 months. It’s only going to get worse. Oh, and I see progressive is sponsoring Monday Night football.
correcto Mundo , we are paying the NFL for the privelidge of companies to advertise : we are the official ---- of the NFL !!

Companies budget for many things within their yearly budget, advertising is nothing new. We just don't like it because we think they should pass that on to us. Advertising is just a way to reach out and solicit more suckers, I mean customers. It's not our world, we just run around in it.

illegals drive all day with no insurance.......... so we pay the difference........ fake news, I know :rolleyes:

illegals drive all day with no insurance.......... so we pay the difference........ fake news, I know :rolleyes:
I once saw a news story about the hardship this woman was going through. She said with a straight face, I've got bills and kids, do you think I can afford car insurance, I think not she said......Ok!!

I'm thinking about dropping my auto insurance. If i get pulled over i'll just claim in an albino Haitian or some other kind of illegal and be on my way.

Actually, no, at least on the first part of the statement.
Insurance rates are going up due to several factors, but as far as auto insurance goes, the increases may be rightly laid at the feet of one group - lawyers. [of course lawyers are aided and abetted by government - which is made up majoritively of lawyers...] Costs go up linearly with regulations and lawsuits.
Another factor is the preponderance of uninsured running around, not to mention exponential rise in complication of vehicles and attendant repair costs. Both are a governmental failing.
Insurers do NOT make money on auto insurance; any loss ratio of 110% or below on car insurance is considered a 'good' year. Auto insurance is a gateway into property insurance which usually makes a few percentage points in most non-coastal areas and then into Life Insurance which is where the big bux are.
Yes, progressive and the Big Farm should be avoided like the plague due solely to their extreme left bias and funding of anti -anything -thats - right causes as well as their stated anti , "Heritage American' shall we say, corporate policies.
Yes, one should shop rates every 2 or 3 years as many companies will give a slight discount for new policies. However...! It is more important to shop coverage - make sure you are comparing apples to apples and make sure you have everything covered that you want. As far as auto insurance goes, I would highly recommend having PLENTY of UM [ Un or Under insured motorists]; the 'people' driving around with no coverage also cause a majority of accidents and can ruin you in a nanosecond.
And yes, its only going to get worse as the economy implodes, costs go thru the ceiling and the ghetto lottery continues on. An industry publication recently noted that personal lines insurance premiums are expected to increase approximately 23% in the coming year - and that was forecast early THIS year. We're seeing it and next year will most likely be worse assuming things continue on somewhat 'normally' , and I use that term advisedly as there has not been any 'normal' progression in this society for many a moon...
[no, I am not an insurance agent - i just happen to be well acquainted with the industry and facts pertaining to it regrettably]

Actually, no, at least on the first part of the statement.
Insurance rates are going up due to several factors, but as far as auto insurance goes, the increases may be rightly laid at the feet of one group - lawyers. [of course lawyers are aided and abetted by government - which is made up majoritively of lawyers...] Costs go up linearly with regulations and lawsuits.
Another factor is the preponderance of uninsured running around, not to mention exponential rise in complication of vehicles and attendant repair costs. Both are a governmental failing.
Insurers do NOT make money on auto insurance; any loss ratio of 110% or below on car insurance is considered a 'good' year. Auto insurance is a gateway into property insurance which usually makes a few percentage points in most non-coastal areas and then into Life Insurance which is where the big bux are.
Yes, progressive and the Big Farm should be avoided like the plague due solely to their extreme left bias and funding of anti -anything -thats - right causes as well as their stated anti , "Heritage American' shall we say, corporate policies.
Yes, one should shop rates every 2 or 3 years as many companies will give a slight discount for new policies. However...! It is more important to shop coverage - make sure you are comparing apples to apples and make sure you have everything covered that you want. As far as auto insurance goes, I would highly recommend having PLENTY of UM [ Un or Under insured motorists]; the 'people' driving around with no coverage also cause a majority of accidents and can ruin you in a nanosecond.
And yes, its only going to get worse as the economy implodes, costs go thru the ceiling and the ghetto lottery continues on. An industry publication recently noted that personal lines insurance premiums are expected to increase approximately 23% in the coming year - and that was forecast early THIS year. We're seeing it and next year will most likely be worse assuming things continue on somewhat 'normally' , and I use that term advisedly as there has not been any 'normal' progression in this society for many a moon...
[no, I am not an insurance agent - i just happen to be well acquainted with the industry and facts pertaining to it regrettably]
Well said!!

Auto Transport Service
Back