• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil filter too close to headers???

Huicho417

Local time
8:17 AM
Reaction score
I was doing some work on my 318 and came to the realization of how close the oil filter is to the passenger side header. By logic I would think that this may be heating up the oil beyond what it should be. Would this result in oil pressure drop? I have noticed on long runs on the highway it starts at 65 and drops to 40 psi.

As to possible solutions I have seen some relocate the oil filter or simply add a heat shield wrap. What is the better option? It is kind of a pain when changing the oil filter because I have to snake my hand in to remove it.

90° filter or straight to the block? My oil pressure does the same thing, I have a 90°. I don't worry about it.

If there's enough gap to be able to spin the filter off, then I'd say there's enough gap that it's not doing any harm.
I run the shorter version of the filter on mine which gives extra clearance but I really don't think there's anything to worry about.
The oil pressure drop is due to the oil heating up on long highway drives at steady rpm, and 40 psi hot is a good number anyway.

As long as it clears and you can remove it there will be no issue.
Doug

A photo of the closest place would be invaluable.

We have no idea how close it is. No measurements. Maybe it's a problem.

Is it burning the paint on the filter ?

This is just a thought.Look for a 2007 Turbo PT Cruiser oil filter. Wix 51516 .Just as long as the short Wix 51068 318 filter.
It has a narrow body. I have been running these for years on all of my Mopars. I have a LA 318 with headers in my 63.
Plenty of room away from pipes and easy to get you wrench or hand around.(The Wix 51348 non turbo is smaller yet)
We all change oil more often than most guys. If you think about it more oil stays in the pan.
The smaller size doesn't hurt a thing.Look at one. Again,Just a thought.

I have a poly with headers having to use the shorter filter accessing it from an access opening in the fender well. Filter doesn’t fit through the opening so I set it on the header (using plastic bags laid on the header to catch any oil) then lift out from the top.

Auto Transport Service
Back