• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old vs New Muscle Cars

Means nothing to me. Can’t beat the Panache of 60’s Muscle. Blown Hellcats should run 10’s vs naturally aspirated Big Blocks. Newer is not always better. Want a 68 Charger or a 75?

Means nothing to me. Can’t beat the Panache of 60’s Muscle. Blown Hellcats should run 10’s vs naturally aspirated Big Blocks. Newer is not always better. Want a 68 Charger or a 75?

Agreed. The gas crunch era is like a kick in the nads to us muscle car lovers. You would certainly expect that we would be vastly improved by now, since its been 50+ years. Now where's my jetpack? lol

I liken this to old fighter pilots, back then you
you had complete control of the plane no
computer assist.
You better have known how to handle all
the components,no warning bells or whistles.

Now we have electric "muscle cars". Somehow electric MC burnouts are not so impressive.

Having graduated from high school in 1979, this is right in my wheelhouse.
In 78, I bought a stock 71 Charger R/T 440, 4bbl, auto, open 8 3/4 w 3.23 r&p.
Fun car and faster than any of the late 70s rides.
As a graduation gift, I was offered a new car. I had some issues with the Charger, and I didn't have much money, so I figured a new car would be better for me. I didn't have to sell the Charger, but my parents said I didn't "need" 2 cars, so the 71 got sold.
I looked at the 79 302 powered Mustang and the 79 Aspen R/T. I stuck w/MOPAR and got the e58 "police" 360 4bbl 79 R/T.
I think it ran 16s....
The years that followed were dark days indeed for performance, well into the 80s.
The performance of today's "muscle cars" is truly amazing. Having said that, I much prefer the EXPERIENCE of having older muscle cars.
Between the 3x2bbl Rochesters on the 421 in my wife's 65 GTO and the 3x2bbl Holley carbs on the 440 in my 70 V-code Roadrunner, I have 6 carbs to tune. Both cars are standard transmission models too.
They bring a tactile connection to the experience of driving that NO new performance car could.
20181003_162344.jpg
20181003_162309.jpg
20181003_162219.jpg

From the article:
..."It's about the sound"...
I agree:

The Mustangs sound like rice burners compared to the 440+6 at the very end:

I prefer my old cars, yes a 1968 RR is an 'older car' to me
Hell my 99 SLT Dakota 4x4 'is old to me'

we are living in a new muscle-car & new HP wars era
great time to be an enthusiast

I like both genres,
unfortunately I can't afford a new one, at the moment
I'd love to have a (or all)
SRT Durango, SRT Grand Cherokee, SRT-10, SRT Hellcat, SRT Demon,
Challenger Scat Pak 1320, or Daytona, Viper GTS or ACR etc. etc. etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back