• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passenger side rear is suddenly sitting lower

Hilljack68

Local time
2:57 AM
Reaction score
I and a few friends took the Coronet out for a while yesterday. Upon returning, I noticed the passenger-side was about 1.5" lower than the driver-side (at the rear). It sat straight before yesterday.

A little background: She's a '68 Coronet 500/318/904 - a standard grocery-getter, but now with a mostly-stock 340. The springs were re-arched about seven years ago. I don't race her, but I will get into the four-barrel at least once every outing.

I haven't crawled underneath yet (we got home in a down-pour and I was in going-out-to-eat clothes). I guess my question is this... since the springs have already been re-arched, am I better off just laying out the cash for new ones? And if so, what do you boys like - ESPO, Mopar Performance, Hotchkis, Mancini, other?

I and a few friends took the Coronet out for a while yesterday. Upon returning, I noticed the passenger-side was about 1.5" lower than the driver-side (at the rear). It sat straight before yesterday.

A little background: She's a '68 Coronet 500/318/904 - a standard grocery-getter, but now with a mostly-stock 340. The springs were re-arched about seven years ago. I don't race her, but I will get into the four-barrel at least once every outing.

I haven't crawled underneath yet (we got home in a down-pour and I was in going-out-to-eat clothes). I guess my question is this... since the springs have already been re-arched, am I better off just laying out the cash for new ones? And if so, what do you boys like - ESPO, Mopar Performance, Hotchkis, Mancini, other?
Espo.. Let us know what you find.

Have yesterdays passenger drive tonight and see if that levels it out.

Last edited:
Inspect the suspension before you jump to conclusions. I've seen the spring perch/shackle crack, also the frame mount area rotted away.

Ok, I spent a couple hours out there this afternoon. First off, the right rear tire was down about 12 pounds, so after re-inflation it helped a little, but there was still something else going on.

I measured the distance from the floor to the shackle bolt, and it was the same on each side... and I was officially perplexed. I remember reading somewhere that adjusting the torsion bar might serve to fix the tilted rear, but it didn't seem to make sense to me. But I figured, what the heck. I measured the suspension height on both LCAs, and they were quite a bit off. (They were perfect when I first rebuilt the front suspension, so I guess they settled in over the last year or so).

I got the LCAs as close as I could (per the shop manual), took her for a ride down the road and back, parked her on the concrete, and BOOM... perfect stance!

...then I washed her and had a beer. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Inspect the suspension before you jump to conclusions. I've seen the spring perch/shackle crack, also the frame mount area rotted away.
That was actually the first things I checked. The shackle, front hanger, frame rail and the springs themselves looked perfect.

Ok, I spent a couple hours out there this afternoon. First off, the right rear tire was about 12 pounds, so after re-inflation it helped a little, but there was still something else going on.

I measured the distance from the floor to the shackle bolt, and it was the same on each side... and I was officially perplexed. I remember reading somewhere that adjusting the torsion bar might serve to fix the tilted rear, but it didn't seem to make sense to me. But I figured, what the heck. I measured the suspension height on both LCAs, and they were quite a bit off. (They were perfect when I first rebuilt the front suspension, so I guess they settled in over the last year or so).

I got the LCAs as close as I could (per the shop manual), took her for a ride down the road and back, parked her on the concrete, and BOOM... perfect stance!

:drinks:

Ok, I spent a couple hours out there this afternoon. First off, the right rear tire was about 12 pounds, so after re-inflation it helped a little, but there was still something else going on.

So what was causing it to sit straight the day before you noticed that it was no longer level?

Yes, often an uneven front suspension will create an even more unlevel rear stance. I have a C2 Corvette and it’s rather common with them although with close to 50/50 balance I’ve never fully understood why. With most pony and intermediate cars that are front heavy, a weak front spring or low torsion bar will make the lighter, opposite side, rear corner sit high.

So what was causing it to sit straight the day before you noticed that it was no longer level?
That's the question I'm still asking myself. No idea. Maybe it was a slowly evolving issue. I normally back in to the garage, so I don't see the tail end very well when I approach the car. That day, because it was pouring rain, I pulled straight in. When I went to close the garage door, I turned around and saw it. Weird... I know it was fine a couple weeks ago.

Auto Transport Service
Back