• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you ever had the lower crank pulley explode?

A guy that I know lost a Bouchillon crank pulley. It was noticeably thinner and lighter than a stock pulley.
I've been fortunate to find and save numerous stock pulleys. Nothing compares to their durability.

Last edited:
Everything made in China is made in China. The part only kinda looks like what you wish you had. Materials, gauges, dimensions, all different and shitty.

I posted this last year. Add me to the broken water pump pulley list. I took my road runner to the Goodguys car show at Pleasanton yesterday and won the Mopar muscle award. Had a great time but on the ride home cruising at 70 heading into a hard right turn on I 680 the steerining went dead and I'm heading for the divider, fortunately instinct and muscle kicked in and was able to wrestle the car to the right and finally get off the road. So I get settled down and popped the hood and see the belt is thrown, no problem I'll get the tools and reinstall untill I saw a ring around the water pump. I have never seen or heard of this so it took awhile to realize what I was seeing. see attached. The pulleys were purchased from Bouchillon and only have 2k miles on them. This incident has me rethinking the down side of the longer fast ratio pitman arm I have and the larger tires makes it hard to steer.

View attachment 1737455

View attachment 1737456
Happy that you recovered without physical injury. China manufacturer? I have read a few post about their products. Thanks, and take care.

I have a new, 2 groove lower crank pulley from MegaParts for my 66 Hemi to swap over to power steering that is 2 piece, secured in some fashion. Wonder if I can trust it?

That is a very scary failure. I hope that there was no secondary damage. I finally bought a 2 groove pulley from 440 Source. Been looking for the torque specs for those 6 bolts but I have not been able to pin down the number. I was cautioned that over torquing could cause a failure. Could not find any info in the 1969 Dodge service manual. I will continue my search for an answer.

That is a very scary failure. I hope that there was no secondary damage. I finally bought a 2 groove pulley from 440 Source. Been looking for the torque specs for those 6 bolts but I have not been able to pin down the number. I was cautioned that over torquing could cause a failure. Could not find any info in the 1969 Dodge service manual. I will continue my search for an answer.
Find out what size bolts they are, and pitch (fine or course) and what grade (5 or 8) and check on Google for max torque.

Auto Transport Service
Back