• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics from Back in the Day

What I find interesting is how nowadays, 5-spokes of some sort are so popular with vintage muscle cars, but back in the day, slots were more common than I expected. You don't see slots on cars that much today, but 5-spoke variants everywhere you look.

What I find interesting is how nowadays, 5-spokes of some sort are so popular with vintage muscle cars, but back in the day, slots were more common than I expected. You don't see slots on cars that much today, but 5-spoke variants everywhere you look.
would agree, but I think the differences may be [partly] regional too. When I was a kid, there were probably more slots than 5 spokes; most of the 5 spokes were Cragar S/S or Cragar wannabes. TorqThrusts were pretty rare. Probably more 200S's than TorqThrusts in the 70s. Slots went away in the early 80s to be replaced by Centerlines. 'Turbine" wheels were probably more prevalent than 5 spokes for awhile.
Never owned a car with slots myself, but had quite a few 5 spokes. Most of the people I knew locally bitd had slots.

would agree, but I think the differences may be [partly] regional too. When I was a kid, there were probably more slots than 5 spokes; most of the 5 spokes were Cragar S/S or Cragar wannabes. TorqThrusts were pretty rare. Probably more 200S's than TorqThrusts in the 70s. Slots went away in the early 80s to be replaced by Centerlines. 'Turbine" wheels were probably more prevalent than 5 spokes for awhile.
Never owned a car with slots myself, but had quite a few 5 spokes. Most of the people I knew locally bitd had slots.
In central PA, TorqThrusts dominated, a few slots, not many Cragars.

In my area Mopars wore Keystone Klassics or sometimes Cragars, slots were more for Chevies. Torq Thrust type wheels seemed to be used by everyone, Chrome reverse were for the broke guys who couldn't afford mags. No-one ran steel wheels with dog dish, no-one.

9AC8CB1E-E103-4528-B930-A00A67BF1D1C.jpeg

In my area Mopars wore Keystone Klassics or sometimes Cragars, slots were more for Chevies. Torq Thrust type wheels seemed to be used by everyone, Chrome reverse were for the broke guys who couldn't afford mags. No-one ran steel wheels with dog dish, no-one.
Yes, chrome reverses were big in this end of the world too. Quite frankly, I like em... but you're right, NO ONE ran steels and dork dishes.
When I was real little, po folk would run steelies with either chrome lug nuts and 'spider' centre caps, or baby moons, usually with a trim ring. But never factory dog dishes. Like this 63...
sonic in woodward.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_8684.jpg

Us "poor folk" in h,s. ran stock hub caps, had to pay rent/ins to mom& pop & stretch the paycheck to ensure enough $$$ for gas to get to & from school and weekends at Front Street , Delaware Ave and JFK Stadium for "cruising" (wink-wink). Philly tradition back then.

View attachment 1714509

Us "poor folk" in h,s. ran stock hub caps, had to pay rent/ins to mom& pop & stretch the paycheck to ensure enough $$$ for gas to get to & from school and weekends at Front Street , Delaware Ave and JFK Stadium for "cruising" (wink-wink). Philly tradition back then.
That was me, after I finished law school, had to start paying on the loans, $173 a month. Kids today would kill for a deal like that. Finally put Magnums on Baby Blue in 1986, cost $375. I was hanging on by my fingernails, trying not to sell the car. I kept the old bias ply tires in place, couldn't afford both new wheels and tires. My '75 Valiant is parked behind the GTX. They each cost $1800 in 1983.

BB 85.jpg

Last edited:
Hear that Adam!! That is why went in service after H.S. Wanted to go to Drexel for Engineering, but HUGE $$$. Not going to burden parents with student loans, its THEIR $$$$. Worked out, they retired at 60 (dad brain& spine injury AGAIN). Worked with a guy, had the age, time & plenty of money to retire, didn't, dropped dead cutting his grass last April @ 66. RIP Donny D!!!

Get in Baby Blue and CRUISE ADAM!!!

I went with a set of new slots, US Mags Indy 101's for my '70 Charger project because everywhere you look, you see some variation of 5-spokes. I'm actually quite glad slots are pretty uncommon nowadays.

I have 15" slots in my 69 Sport Satellite and I love them.

20240712_180059.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back