• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics from Back in the Day

Didn’t the early cars have the full triple digit speedometers? Mine only has the 2 digit triple digit, 10 mph instead of 100 and so on. Unfortunately the fender tag is goen, best clue I had is the door cards did say may of 68
You are right about the triple digit speedometer. No question, the steering wheel is not consistent with a May '68 build date. Most of my GTXs have had quirks that fell outside the norm. Steering wheel could have been replacement after original broke, that ring was fairly delicate, replaced with a stronger piece in '69 models. My current car got replacement fenders with outboard mounted turn signals on fenders, originals had them mounted in the center. Also possible it's a different car. In 1970, I was blown away, when I saw two identical '69 GTXs with saddle bronze paint and buckskin interiors parked side by side, and the owners laughing about the coincidence. What were the odds? I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. And Baby Blue has a nearly identical twin, currently owned by @MarPar, carries the same moniker.

Last edited:
You are right about the triple digit speedometer. No question, the steering wheel is not consistent with a May '68 build date. Most of my GTXs have had quirks that fell outside the norm. Steering wheel could have been replacement after original broke, that ring was fairly delicate, replaced with a stronger piece in '69 models. My current car got replacement fenders with outboard mounted turn signals on fenders, originals had them mounted in the center. Also possible it's a different car. In 1970, I was blown away, when I saw two identical '69 GTXs with saddle bronze paint and buckskin interiors parked side by side, and the owners laughing about the coincidence. What were the odds? I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. And Baby Blue has a nearly identical twin, currently owned by @MarPar, carries the same moniker.
I have seen a couple gold GTXs in Texas, but I've never seen one with the same interior. Bumper sticker placement is too similar, I wished there was a better picture of the rear glass, there's a q102 sticker on mine, and it kinda looks like it could be on that one, and its a different one then I've seen, like it might be a very early sticker. This is why i have tried getting ahold of the OP and see where he got the pictures:thumbsup:

I just saw this Scwinn stingray brand new in the box for $700 at the Reno swap meet. Is that a good deal guys?
20240809_092523.jpg

I just saw this Scwinn stingray brand new in the box for $700 at the Reno swap meet. Is that a good deal guys?
View attachment 1708012
If it was 'real', then its the deal of the century. But it appears to be a later 'repop' from redchina, so if thats what you want / are willing to invest, its "OK". JUST my most humble opinion of course...

Bar codes on the box, etc...

This was my Charger way before I got it....

img069.jpg

And this was my GTX well before it got to me....or New Zealand for that matter - taken in Las Vegas area....

Las Vegas 1973 (3).jpg

Before I bought the Charger it was used as a Pub car - always seen parked up at a popular country pub where all sorts of hoodlums hung out.

It was painted up as a General Lee back in around 1980 for a promotion locally....one morning after a heavy night on the beer, the PO was driving around his 'hood, went around a corner sideways with a heavy right foot ....in full view of a Patrol car...... the cops just didn't move. They probably thought better of it.

My Charger 3.jpg

Slotted wheels!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Better still.....the guy who owned it then was racing it at weekends along side his bosses sponsored driver....Gene Snow in Vegas.

There were a few stories passed down to me...too long for right now....maybe later on one day.

It gets better because I managed to (with the help of another great member here @Bart K ) arrange my great friend Mark aka @super-bee_ski to visit Des (Las Vegas owner) over in Henderson, NV, and present him with a 1:24th scale replica of how the car looks now. Des was absolutely thrilled, and I can't thank Mark enough for doing that for me.

Des Keven FC7 model GTX and Ski..JPG

Mark and Des are holding up NZ Hot Rod magazines for the pic. The model was also taken aboard one of the USAF 'birds'

Superbeeski GTX 2.jpg

Thanks @guy gadbois and @YY1 I thought there was a disconnect with that price. I'm not a collector but like many of you, I rode Schwinns in the 60s and 70s - right up to the day before my 16th birthday. Obviously I didn't pick up on the packaging. The seller gave me a BS story about being offered $400 for just the seat. Once again you got my back!

Did you get the cars shipped? Wondering what that would add up to.
No...I was the 22nd owner of the Charger here some 18 years after it arrived here....and the GTX I was the 6th actual owner from new - two in USA and the rest here - been in New Zealand since 1974. I did bring a '70 Road Runner here and more recently the A100 ..... it costs a fair bit of coin.

I even managed to have a chat with the original purchaser of my GTX back in around 1998. He just couldn't get over the fact that his car had travelled so far and was still on the road. When he bought the car he had traded a '68 Coronet on it and paid the difference..... Anamosa, Iowa. I even spoke with the grandson of the original salesman, and got some paperwork copies out of them.

340+4

...and a hand fabricated Demon scoop.

Interesting.

Auto Transport Service
Back