• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post up facts and things that hardly anyone knows...... (for entertainment purposes only. NO need to fact check)

With a DC powered turntable, just reverse the polarity. :lol:
Or like people did in the 50s-60s-70s low-tech,
with your finger spin the record backwards
with the needle on the record

I was composing my Wall Of Text when you posted the above quote.
300-500 microamps is the max chassis current allowed in medical equipment. A microamp is 1/1000 of a milliamp.
Rules may be different as you guys have a pussy supply of only a mere 110 Volts. :poke: :lol: Which effectively has an effect upon test results.

I wish I'd never seen the scene of the intentionally botched electric chair execution in the movie "The Green Mile". Far too realistic, and already a horrible way to die, IMO.
I do like me some cornbread.....

you cant hold your nose shut & hum
and also - it's impossible to keep your eyes open when you sneeze.

So here's a tip - if you ever run into the back of the vehicle in front of you - quickly spit on the inside of the windshield.
That way when the Law turns up you can claim that you sneezed just before the point of impact. :thumbsup:

I was composing my Wall Of Text when you posted the above quote.
300-500 microamps is the max chassis current allowed in medical equipment. A microamp is 1/1000 of a milliamp.
Sorry for stealing your thunder....

Thors hammer.jpg

:lol:

The first email was sent in 1971 by Ray Tomlinson, a young engineer at the firm of Bolt, Beranek and Newman. Electronic mail looked different fifty-two years ago, although one feature would still be recognizable to today's users – the now ubiquitous @ symbol, whose use is also credited to Tomlinson.

It is possible to have both a ballast resistor and an ECM fail at the same time.

It is possible to have both a ballast resistor and an ECM fail at the same time.
Anything is possible....whether or not it is likely is another kettle of fish. :rolleyes:

I was the first person in New Zealand to do a full quarter-mile burnout on a drag strip here . . .

. . . and I believe the last also. :rofl: Some people were not happy that it had been done.

Those people are wrong. Righteous burnouts are always approved.

The Monroe Doctrine was signed in 1823.
The time between the war of independance and the civil war was basically filled non-stop with America looking over it's shoulder at every shadow it saw and taking military action to ensure Euro gov'ts did not make power plays to try to strong arm our new nation, particularily with international trade.
As early as 1810, America was trying to initiate favorable governments in the rest of the western hemisphere.

Once the Monroe doctrine was signed, it was used in numerous ways to justify all sorts of aggressive foreign policy, including actions against percieved "russian invaders" in the area north of San Fransisco where Russian settlements were growing.

This time in our nation's history is oft glossed over, with most focus being on things like the Louisiana Purchase or the war of 1812. But the US was very involved in the gulf of Mexico, and with Mexico and south america during this time. In reality, we were encouraging Euro-gov't colony countries in South America to declare independance(we would be "neutral", of course) and our fledgling navy would see most action between Florida(illegally annexed from Spain with the war against the Seminole people used as excuse) all the way down to Brazil, and along the west coast where fears of Spain, Russia, and Brittain making power moves was high. Almost all of this was justified as protecting American interests in trade and security. Certainly, our young country did have risks.

This behavior would continue to modern times, although the justifications would change, as well as the amount of public knowledge about events. One easy event to remember is on 9/11. Yes, we know what happened to us on 9/11. 50 years ago, the US supported the overthrow of the democratically elected gov't in Chile that resulted in a dictatorship being installed on 9/11.

Or like people did in the 50s-60s-70s low-tech,
with your finger spin the record backwards
with the needle on the record

you do it with your finger, with the needle on the record
which is what I did in 1968 on The Beatles White album Revolution #9 to hear: "turn me on dead man".

The eagle used as the emblem for the US 101rst Airborn Division is actually Old Abe, a real bald eagle.
1722137126277.png

Old Abe was the mascot of a Wisconsin civil war regiment, the 8th volunteer infantry.

Old Abe was captured by Chief Sky of the Ojibwe tribe as an eaglet and traded to a man from the Eau Claire area for a bushel of corn. From here Old Abe found his way to the regiment.
The 8th was deployed as far south as Vicksburg. The Wisconsin monument at the Vicksburg memorial battle grounds has a stature of Old Abe.
Confederates referred to Old Abe as "Yankee Buzzard"

Old Abe became a national celebrity during the war and was quite famous after. He was invited to the centennial celebration in Pennsylvania amongst other national events. He was given a 2 room apartment and a full time caretaker within Wi state capitol.
1722137030559.png

Some years later, a fire broke out at the capitol. Old Abe alerted people in the building, but smoke inhalation caused him to pass a few days later.
His remains were preserved in a mount, and kept in the capitol. It is said Teddy Roosevelt had fond words when he was able to view the mount about the mascot he had heard about as a child.

In 1904, the WI capitol building burned, and Old Abe's mount among many historic artifacts were lost.
Today, a replica of Old Abe is displayed in the capitol building.
1722137085842.png

Old Abe was also incorporated into the J.I. Case company logo that built farm equipment in Racine, WI. J.I. Case started in 1842(before WI was an official state) and lasted in that initial form until the early 1970's when it merged with David Brown. Case dropped the Old Abe logo in 1969. The image of Old Abe on top of the globe (no words) can be found in all sorts of parts/castings for Case tractors.
1722137423607.png

This all came to mind as I was at Symco at the thresheree today watching some pre-WW2 era Case tractors in the tractor pull.

Physicists will find it shocking, but there are plenty of people around the world who genuinely believe the Earth is flat. We should explore why such views are increasingly taking hold and how the physics community should best respond.

see post #122

you do it with your finger, with the needle on the record
Well, I guess I'll have to take your words on this. I haven't had a turn table in almost 40 years. I do still have a few Beatles albums though. But right now, I have all the music I ever want to hear on this computer and on discs I can play in the cars.

Maybe if I go in reverse while the disc is playing ........

Auto Transport Service
Back