• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power WAG for 440 with 516 heads

subforry

Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well my '66 Charger with a 440, showed exhaust gasses in the coolant. The engine was a mystery to me since it came with the car, and now the heads are off.

It's '79 440 block, 516 heads (no porting), mild street cam (not yet removed), torquer II intake, cast iron "log" exhaust manifolds, and a 800cfm Edlebrock. If the head volume is 75cc, then it has about 9.27:1 compression ratio (from my rough measurements). I expect some valves to be bad and seems like the head gasket was leaking between the center cylinders.

Any WAGs (wild *** guesses) on the power numbers? I am just looking for rough idea.

My current plan is to keep only the block and carb.

The clutch is for another project.

Thanks.

20240707_195502.JPG

20240707_123709.JPG

How far down are the pistons at TDC? Flat top, dome, or dished?
Your heads are not likely as low as 75 cc's.

What does the power matter if you are changing it all?

250HP.

How far down are the pistons at TDC? Flat top, dome, or dished?
Your heads are not likely as low as 75 cc's.

What does the power matter if you are changing it all?
Bore 4.35
Top of piston to top of deck at BDC 3.94
Top of piston to top of deck at TDC 0.15
Flat top pistons

I think the heads have been shaved down a bit, but I agree, likely not as low as 75cc.

I wanted to get a feel for what I had to have a better feel for where I want to go. For example if this is 300hp and 400 torque, then I expect 400 hp and 500 torque or more would be nice, or maybe I am dreaming with these numbers?

I had a smogger 440 bottom with 516s and big ex valve. About a 280ish cam / torker/ headers decent double pumper and got a best of 12.29 out of my Charger ( setup track car)
I would have rated it in the 425 horse area
It's all in the details

250 probably. Maybe 200 at the tires. They are seriously an 1/8" down in the cylinder? No way on earth that's 9 to 1.

Most 516's cc larger than the internet tells you based on the ones I've cc'ed. Hard to tell from the photos but yours seem to have a big step up from the open to closed part of the chamber so I wouldn't think they are cut. What's the height at the external head bolt flange?
Definitely low HP setup as it was

Thanks for the info

.15 down means you had 8:1 compression ratio.

516 heads are 84cc from the factory, I checked many uncut heads.

WAG? Sure.
After the issues are resolved and with the heads fresh, and a cam in the [email protected] range………I’ll go with 425-435tq/low 300’s for hp with the ex manifolds.
That’s assuming all accessories(fuel & ignition systems) are functioning properly.

A quickie bowl blend(don’t overdo it) on those heads would be worth the time.

I’d probably opt for a dual plane intake too.
The T-II is going to cost you some TQ in the area of the power curve where the other pieces of the combo are getting happy.

Thanks all. That helps. I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge.

I found a Edelbrock performer RPM head/cam/intake package for a bargain price of $2500 on Amazon, assuming it materializes and is genuine. Also ordered TTI headers and 2.5 inch exhaust.

Eventually I will see about modifying the block/pistons to up the compression ratio.

Don't be fooled by the lack of compression either...
My daughter's BF runs a 76 D200 camper special with the stock 440 LC pistons.. Eddy e streets and a 292 mopar cam.. Best of 12.50s..
Compression is great, but is a few tenths worth 4-5 grand? That's up to you

I found a Edelbrock performer RPM head/cam/intake package for a bargain price of $2500 on Amazon, assuming it materializes and is genuine. Also ordered TTI headers and 2.5 inch

Be careful of bargains. Edelbrock makes two or three different head combustion chamber volumes. One of them will be better than the others.

Be careful of bargains. Edelbrock makes two or three different head combustion chamber volumes. One of them will be better than the others.
Good to know. I got my syringe ready. Also for science I will measure the 516 heads and post the volume

I got the Edelbrock package. The heads look really nice, they have 84cc chambers. All that puts me in the 8:1 comp ratio, which I am fine with.

The ports are machined in about 1/4 inch, then the raw casting. Seems like there is a edge/lip at this point and a quick go over with a die grinder could smooth it out. I expect there would a some sort of gain or should I just bolt the heads on and have fun?

Also I am confused about the intake manifold gasket. I have a fel pro tin valley pan and 2 gaskets. How do I stack these? Is it ok to put the aluminum against the tin valley pan? In my reading about this, it seems the gaskets are mostly used to help align the ports and help fit mismatched angles? And it's recommend to mock up/dry fit the pan, gaskets, and manifold.

Don't bother with grinding the ports. Just messy and no gains.
Put the clean manifold on with no tray or gaskets and see how it all fits. Try rocking it, check bolt hole alignment , check for any gaps at the head etc.
It should be able to just use the tray, no gaskets, which is optimal.

And you can run it on regular unleaded!!! Bonus

Using a 150cc syringe with water, the head chambers were about 80cc. The height of the external head bolt flanges is about 1".

This weekend, I got the exhaust off, replaced the leaky gas tank, removed the WP, crank pulley/damper, and the rad. The crank bolt was down all the way and the washer was loose. This is just one of many things that were not done quite right by the PO. I have a new bolt and washer on order also front cover gaskets and WP gaskets. Also discovered I need long reach spark plugs for the Edelbrock heads.

I assume I will have to remove the AC condenser and grill (which is loose) to get the cam out ('66 Charger).

The project is kind of rabbit hole as there is much to fix while I am in there. For example the wiring seems to be real fire hazard with extra brittle insulation. Working to get the AC closer to complete and fixing the windshield washer.

I am looking into power steering pump bracket that works cleanly with the CVF AC bracket I have. Going with a Sanden style compressor.

Also on the todo list is drive out the TTI in Corona, CA and pickup the headers and exhaust.

Don't bother with grinding the ports. Just messy and no gains.
Put the clean manifold on with no tray or gaskets and see how it all fits. Try rocking it, check bolt hole alignment , check for any gaps at the head etc.
It should be able to just use the tray, no gaskets, which is optimal.
When fitting the intake manifold, no gaskets or valley pan it rocked. Then I noticed right rear was hitting the block. A little filling on the manifold and is sat flat on the heads. So I was able to use just the valley pan.

20240818_180915.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back