• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Product Review - Woodward Fab PL-500 Plasma cutter

conv67bdere

Super Moderator
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
Woodward Fab is a vendor that shows up at the largest Car Shows that we have in the Charlotte Area, The Food Lion Auto Fair - it's held in the Spring ( this show is HUGE ) and another show in the Fall ( this one is much smaller in participation ). I have bought a number of items from them and the latest purchase was one of their Plasma cutters - it was the end of the show and they didn't want to have to pack this last one up and take it home, so I got a pretty good deal on it ! !

Their list price on the unit ( see the link below ) is $579.99 . . . and I'll give my review of the product . . .

Here's the link to their website page for this plasma cutter

http://www.woodwardfab.com/product-category/product/welding/plasma-cutting-machine-pl500/

I've used other plasma cutters in the past, and didn't want to shell out the BIG BUCKS for one of them . . . then I saw this unit from Woodward Fab . . .

First, a couple pictures of this little unit . . . it is very compact and easy to move around . . .

sm_plasmacutter01.jpg

Another picture . . .

sm_plasmacutter02.jpg

I wondered how this "little" unit would work since the other ones I've used have been much larger in size ( thank you technology ! )

sm_plasmacutter03.jpg

I was really surprised at the performance, and the thing cut the metal as well as the bigger ones I've used in the past . . .

sm_plasmacutter04.jpg

The cuts in the metal ( ok, burns ? ? ) were very nice if I kept from being too "fast" with the torch . . .

sm_plasmacutter05.jpg

In a couple places, I had to remove extra metal, to get to the second layer of metal behind it ( and in one place, there was 3 layers of metal )

sm_plasmacutter06.jpg

Then, after removing the extra cut, I could get the metal behind it cut away . . . ( not too bad as it can be done fairly quickly )

sm_plasmacutter07.jpg

Here's the "chunk" of metal that I bought from the 2013 Challenger, to use the tunnel hump in my 67 Belvedere Convertible . . .

sm_plasmacutter08.jpg

And after a short amount of time the trimming of the "chunk" looked like this . . .

sm_plasmacutter09.jpg

And the piece of metal that was removed . . . so far . . . it got dark and I've still got the other side to trim . . .

sm_plasmacutter10.jpg

The good , the bad, and the . . . well, other stuff . . .

First, I only have 1-220V outlet in my shop, so I had to trade filling the compressor tank, and cutting the metal ( not much I can do - still not too bad ! )

The machine worked very well, and it was the triple layers of metal that was the frustration, not the performance of the cutter.

I really don't have anything bad to say about the Plasma Cutter, and for the price I was very pleasantly surprised by just how well it did perform ! !

If you're in the market for a very nice Plasma Cutter, for around the $500-600 price range - this cutter really seems to fit the bill . . .

Nice! I'd never used a plasma cutter till a few weeks ago. Don't think I can live without it now.,

That is pretty cool.

Very True Coronet14 . . . Very nice tool to have added to my shop . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Nice! I'd never used a plasma cutter till a few weeks ago. Don't think I can live without it now.,

Agreed DougL . . . when you see how easy this thing cuts through the metal, it makes a very simple job out of a lot of cutting - and you don't use up cutting disks in the process . . .

Now that I've added it to my shop - I'm pretty sure I'll have to agree with you on that !

( just had to rake up all the leaves outside to make sure that I didn't start a fire . . . )

Cool review, thanks for sharing

always nice to get a honest real world assessment/review from someone you "actually trust"...

Hey ....this is a good topic! I suggest this as a tagged thread for add on of additional products.

Case in point Horsman helped me with a vendor for my interior. Without his experience I would have just had to take information and processes I'm familiar with evaluate each and just "pick one". So far I'm very pleased with the process and his recommendation.

Hey ....this is a good topic! I suggest this as a tagged thread for add on of additional products.

Case in point Horsman helped me with a vendor for my interior. Without his experience I would have just had to take information and processes I'm familiar with evaluate each and just "pick one". So far I'm very pleased with the process and his recommendation.

I've sent this up to Joey to evaluate . . . thanks . . . good idea.

Auto Transport Service
Back