• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on six pack outer carbs

Turns out the oe plate that I need for the other carb is a 6180, the 6178 is correct for the carb I pictured.
I’ll start a wtb ad but does anyone on this thread have a 6180 plate for sale?
I can’t find any literature that gives me the specs of a 6180. The 70 and up six pack outboards used the #35 plate I have those specs and wonder if I could use the available 134-39 Holley plate that specs very close to the #35 plate

IMG_3273.png

IMG_3196.png

The 6178 and 6180 have the same idle restriction hole, 0.034”. Make the main what the car likes. If you make all four corners 0.086”, you’ll be fine enough.

Thanks for all the help. I’ve learned a lot about these carbs and I’m on the right track. Allstate Carburetors has the specifications for all the fixed metering plates, and they have blank plates to make me a #6180 fixed plate. Never knew these plates are also stagger jetted by the drill sizes used. I found out by using the drill index on the #6173 plate on the other outboard also stagger drilled.

There is nothing magical about the plates themselves. They are the same, except the idle and main hole sizes. Anyone can drill as needed. I have five sets I used for tuning. Got another set I drilled and tapped to accept regular Holley jets.

If I ever get back into this again I'm going to use 6-32 brass set screws and make my own jet plates. I don't like the quick fuel plates I have. The high end carbs use the set screw thing for idle jets, power valve restriction and emulsion bleeds. I believe it will work on metering plates.

If I ever get back into this again I'm going to use 6-32 brass set screws and make my own jet plates. I don't like the quick fuel plates I have. The high end carbs use the set screw thing for idle jets, power valve restriction and emulsion bleeds. I believe it will work on metering plates.

I don’t think the 6-32 set screw is large enough. The hex is 0.060” across the flats. The 8-32 is 0.078” across the flats. Maybe 10-32. It is 0.093”, I think.

I don’t think the 6-32 set screw is large enough. The hex is 0.060” across the flats. The 8-32 is 0.078” across the flats. Maybe 10-32. It is 0.093”, I think.
I'll have to test this. I got the idea working on a friend's million dollar AED carb. I don't think there's enough thickness at the metering plates main orifice for anything bigger than 6-32. I need to do some measuring. Maybe create something that's slotted for a small screw driver? I do have some air bleed blanks that have a fat slotted screw type head.

Not mine but why not buy or make these?

8283193-P1090616.JPG

8283132-meteringplate22a.jpg

Yes. Cannot tell from the picture, but you need to space the jet out a bit so that it is not too deep and restricts the flow in the channel on the back side.

Comparison of quick fuel and factory stock fuel channels. Quick fuels have to be used without the benefit of the steel plate. they mate directly to the bowl gasket. That means the gasket will partially migrate into the narrow fuel supply channel when the plate is tightened down. How much restriction is too much? Maybe they will work, maybe they don't? I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about this.

20240924_190506.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back