• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator Overflow Hose Correct Size

RR Fan Dan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:36 AM
Reaction score
1727008610865.png

What size are these hoses? The large opening is supposed to accept the hose from the radiator. The smaller opening is supposed to be overflow. I have noticed that on my car it is reversed because the hose from the radiator is too large (5/16) to go inside the split opening and down into the bottle. Is the hose the wrong size? Should it be 3/8? Or is there a special slim wall 5/16 hose that is supposed to fit, or is the nipple at my radiator not the correct size? I need for the hose from the radiator to go down inside the bottle for this to work correctly. Right now it is just decoration. I want to order the right size hose online so I need help for the correct fit.

Last edited:
View attachment 1730358
What size are these hoses? The large opening is supposed to accept the hose from the radiator. The smaller opening is supposed to be overflow. I have noticed that on my car it is reversed because the hose from the radiator is too large (5/16) to go inside the split opening and down into the bottle. Is the hose the wrong size? Should it be 3/8? Or is there a special slim wall 5/16 hose that is supposed to fit, or is the nipple at my radiator not the correct size? I need for the hose from the radiator to go down inside the bottle for this to work correctly. Right now it is just decoration. I want to order the right size hose online so I need help for the correct fit.
Try some lube to slide on

Try some lube to slide on
The hose that fits the radiator nipple does not fit inside the cap. It is a 5/16 hose that fits the radiator nipple but is too large a diameter to go inside the cap. Is there a different size/type of hose that will fit the radiator and go inside the bottle slipped through the opening in the cap?

The hose that fits the radiator nipple does not fit inside the cap. It is a 5/16 hose that fits the radiator nipple but is too large a diameter to go inside the cap. Is there a different size/type of hose that will fit the radiator and go inside the bottle slipped through the opening in the cap?
Try posting some pics and maybe a visual will give us more insight

Think mines 1/4 id and 5/16 od but would have to go out and check

It’s the hose from the radiator to the bottle. What size is it?
Is the rad nipple to either nipple on the cap the same O.D.? If so can you go and get a hose that will fit the other nipple?
Someone should be able to post a good picture of an original cap.
What number is your rad? It doesn’t appear that there’s a hole in the cap to put a hose through it. Is there another nipple on the underside of the cap?
Maybe try using Google.

Is the rad nipple to either nipple on the cap the same O.D.
There is no nipple on the cap? It fits through the cap. See the left de of the cap. The hose from he radiator goes through that opening and down into the overflow bottle. The hose currently on the radiator is 5/16 which is to large a diameter to go through the hole. On my car it was hooked up backwards. The 5/16 radiator hose was pushed onto the nipple on he right which is for the overflow hose if the bottle gets full. The hose from the radiator needs to fit the radiator nipple and be small enough to fit through that hole in the cap which roughly measures 1/2 inch ID. So I need a hose that is 1/2 inch OD that would fit the radiator nipple which is 5/16. The current hose 5/16 hose is larger than 1/2 OD and does not fit.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Think mines 1/4 id and 5/16 od

1/4 ID might be too small. 5/16 is very tight on my radiator nipple. I might have the wrong radiator. In these pictures it’s hooked up backwards. It needs to be reversed.
The hose from the radiator needs to fit the radiator nipple and be small enough to fit through that hole in the cap which roughly measures 1/2 inch ID. So I need a hose that is 1/2 inch OD that would fit the radiator nipple which is 5/16. The current hose 5/16 hose is larger than 1/2 OD and does not fit.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
There is no nipple on the cap? It fits through the cap. See the left de of the cap. The hose from he radiator goes through that opening and down into the overflow bottle. The hose currently on the radiator is 5/16 which is to large a diameter to go through the hole. On my car it was hooked up backwards. The 5/16 radiator hose was pushed onto the nipple on he right which is for the overflow hose if the bottle gets full. The hose from the radiator needs to fit the radiator nipple and be small enough to fit through that hole in the cap which roughly measures 1/2 inch ID. So I need a hose that is 1/2 inch OD that would fit the radiator nipple which is 5/16. The current hose 5/16 hose is larger than 1/2 OD and does not fit.View attachment 1730735View attachment 1730735

There is no nipple on the cap? It fits through the cap. See the left de of the cap. The hose from he radiator goes through that opening and down into the overflow bottle. The hose currently on the radiator is 5/16 which is to large a diameter to go through the hole. On my car it was hooked up backwards. The 5/16 radiator hose was pushed onto the nipple on he right which is for the overflow hose if the bottle gets full. The hose from the radiator needs to fit the radiator nipple and be small enough to fit through that hole in the cap which roughly measures 1/2 inch ID. So I need a hose that is 1/2 inch OD that would fit the radiator nipple which is 5/16. The current hose 5/16 hose is larger than 1/2 OD and does not fit.View attachment 1730735View attachment 1730735
Left nipple cracked and should be fixed or fluid will leak.

Maybe reverse your house connections so smaller goes to radiator and larger dumps out if to full

Call Stephen’s and see if he has a used cap and hose combo or try Google to find a yard that has Mopar used parts

Maybe reverse your house connections so smaller goes to radiator and larger dumps out if to full
Call Stephen’s and see if he has a used cap and hose combo o

Tried that smaller hose ID too small to fit radiator. The cap in the first pics are old cap. I have a new cap. I got the hose you recommended on order.

Auto Transport Service
Back