• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real 63 max wedge?

415hp engine cars had flat hoods. some early 425hp cars did too.

Very nice car, but I would rather have a Hemi and these Max Wedge cars priced as much or more which make no sense to me.

Also Yes & Yes. To the best of my knowledge only aluminum nose cars came with a double hump hood scoop.

Savoy Sedan
Belvedere Sedan
Belvedere Hardtop

Fury & Sport Fury

No aluminum nose cars came without a scoop. If you had a steel nose car you had to add the scoop yourself.

Nick Tiberio
FuryUs63

Attachments

• mw hoods.jpg
    mw hoods.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 795
They built 1196 Max Wedge Plymouth cars in 63 and only 40 were built with the aluminum front end and they were all the 13.5 high comp cars. As was stated only the aluminum cars came with the scoop from the factory. Ron

Max Wedge Car.....Real Deal?

YEP.....Furyus63 is right on!! :hello2: Very few 63 425hp "Orange Monster" Aluminum front cars have survived the decades. They were factory produced "Drag Race Cars" with no factory Warranty. They broke many NHRA records in their day. The few that are left are extemely valuable and are worthy collecter cars. The reason Max Wedge cars are worth so much is they were only available for 2.5 years. The first half of 1964 was the last of them. Half way through 1964 the dealer orders for Max Wedges arrived to dealers as Hemi's cars. In the quarter mile (the Maxies as they were affectionatly called) would whac a Hemi. In the half mile the Hemi's would take over.

Very nice car, but I would rather have a Hemi and these Max Wedge cars priced as much or more which make no sense to me.

Ended with zero bids. The Ebay community must not think it's worth $53500. Unless I misread something.

Say, is that heavy undercoating correct or was the restorer covering up soemething?

YEP.....Furyus63 is right on!! :hello2: Very few 63 425hp "Orange Monster" Aluminum front cars have survived the decades. They were factory produced "Drag Race Cars" with no factory Warranty. They broke many NHRA records in their day. The few that are left are extemely valuable and are worthy collecter cars. The reason Max Wedge cars are worth so much is they were only available for 2.5 years. The first half of 1964 was the last of them. Half way through 1964 the dealer orders for Max Wedges arrived to dealers as Hemi's cars. In the quarter mile (the Maxies as they were affectionatly called) would whac a Hemi. In the half mile the Hemi's would take over.
that was true when the hemis first came out but after they got them figured out the hemi made the maxi obsolete and hemi was king of the 1320.

Ended with zero bids. The Ebay community must not think it's worth $53500. Unless I misread something.

Say, is that heavy undercoating correct or was the restorer covering up soemething?

Ebay is now more of a way to get the word out internationally that your car is available but NOT the place to sell the car in the auction. The SMART sellers put their email and phone number in the ad text so that when the auction ends interested parties can still get a hold of you. Many of the actual sales take place AFTER the auction ends.

Yes for sure on the flat hood as I owned one. Bought it new in 63. It was a convert ( one of eight with a max 11:1 engine ).

Ebay is now more of a way to get the word out internationally that your car is available but NOT the place to sell the car in the auction. The SMART sellers put their email and phone number in the ad text so that when the auction ends interested parties can still get a hold of you. Many of the actual sales take place AFTER the auction ends.

I was thinking the same thing and found this out first hand while trying to sell my 52 F3. I had two potential buyers but the one from Poland got the truck.

that was true when the hemis first came out but after they got them figured out the hemi made the maxi obsolete and hemi was king of the 1320.

Which Hemi are you talking about? There was the street Hemi in 1965 and the race Hemi. Two totaly different animals.

They built 1196 Max Wedge Plymouth cars in 63 and only 40 were built with the aluminum front end and they were all the 13.5 high comp cars. As was stated only the aluminum cars came with the scoop from the factory. Ron

There were 1002 Max Wedge Dodges built in 1963. There were also only 40 built with the aluminum front end, all 13.5.1 compresion. My Polara 500 Max Wedge was not even available with the aluminum front end,however later in the production year the battery was moved to the trunk.

Which Hemi are you talking about? There was the street Hemi in 1965 and the race Hemi. Two totaly different animals.

i'm talking about the 64 race hemi there was no 65 street hemi only a 65 race hemi street hemis didnt hit the street until 1966 a street hemi wouldn't stand a chance against a max wedge as we all know.

I bet you wish you had kept that one.
For sure! Way far out of my price range these days. I sold that car in 68. Lost track of it for over 30 years. By pure coincidence, ran in to a a guy that owned it at a car show ( the car wasn't at the show ) in early 2000. It was since sold to another guy that did a professional resto on it around 2005. It won best of show at "Mopars At The Strip" in Vegas in 2008. Again, missed seeing the car by one day. I was at that show on Saturday and the owner showed up with the car on Sunday. Since, I have seen it in several Mopar mags - MCG, Mopar Muscle, Etc. I raced it a bit in 64 /65 when I owned it. It ran a best of 12.41 @ 116 mph. Pretty fast for a rag top back in those days. Still have the time slip.

i'm talking about the 64 race hemi there was no 65 street hemi only a 65 race hemi street hemis didnt hit the street until 1966 a street hemi wouldn't stand a chance against a max wedge as we all know.

I stand corrected. You are absolutely right. CRS disease, Can't remember s.....

Auto Transport Service
Back