• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Suspension Noise On Bumps

PhilKC

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
When I go over bumps in my 67 Coronet, the rear suspension makes a crashing sound. To my knowledge, nothing is loose but it's done it since I bought it in 1999 and it's annoying.
Are the leaf springs slapping each other? How do I fix it or at least make it less noisy?

Make sure the upper shocks are tight and the bushings are good. That is the most common area for noises.

You had the car since 1999. I would change the shocks and all the bushings, they atleast 26 years old.

The other culprit can be the tailpipes.
They need to be oriented correctly and be centered over the axle.

If you have 'junk in your trunk' then it can sound that way.....

Check the mountings of the gas tank while you're doing the shocks and checking/replacing bushings on leaf mounts/shackles.

Old cars. Gotta love them.

Is it a crashing sound or more of a bang or bam? Haha it's tough to describe sounds sometimes. I had a hard bam sound happen every time driving over a bump when I installed an adjustable pinion snubber spaced only 1 inch off the floor pan. The stock snubbers have much more clearance. I removed that sucker right away it was so annoying.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll check the bushings as well as if the exhaust is hitting anything.
The trunk is completely empty.
The sound is like when a steel trailer goes over a bump. It isn't a dull sound, it's sharper like metal hitting metal.

Don't think anyone mentioned the upper shock mount being broken or came loose from it's welded in position.....?

Auto Transport Service
Back