• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations for Sheet Metal Bending Brake

69RunnerMike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good sheet metal brake that won't break the bank. At the moment I need to make the top piece of the outer rocker panel where the sill plate is attached and am using 18ga sheet metal. It needs to be 34 inches long, however a metal brake that can bend a piece of 18ga that long won't come cheap, so I would be willing to make 2 separate shorter pieces and weld them together. AMD wants close to $300 for the outer rocker panel and my panel is amazingly clean with exception of the top that rotted out. I considered going ahead and buying the panel from AMD, but thought that I may need to make other bends on my project. So invest in a good brake?

Look for older used one. We had a USA 4 foot Tennesmith (or something like that). Very much don't recommend it. I have a 2 foot but would like a 4 footer. Got my eyes open. I have access to a heavy duty 10 footer when needed.

I don't have one yet. Maybe this one?

1/2 HP ELECTRIC SHEET METAL SHEAR
ITEM# H5503
$
36" Slip Roll, 22-Gauge
36" SLIP ROLL, 22-GAUGE
ITEM# T21318
$
Overview
T32719 36" Benchtop Pan and Box Brake
Bend metal like a professional or at least pretend to.
The T32719 36" Benchtop Pan and Box Brake was designed to make complicated brackets, gussets, boxes or fixtures.

It can handle setting an angle in 18-gauge mild steel up to 135°.

The T32719 comes with twelve removable fingers for box forming and other special bending operations. The fingers can be used individually or all at once.

Like all Grizzly pan and box brakes, the T32719 comes with a 1-year warranty which covers parts and assures the unit is free from factory defects.

The T32719 instructions were written by our U.S. based Technical Documentation Department and is packed with useful information.

The Grizzly Customer Service and Technical Support Teams are U.S. based.

Parts and accessories for the brake are available online and shipped from the Grizzly parts warehouse in Springfield, MO.

Made in an ISO 9001 factory

SPECIFICATIONS
Maximum working width: 36"
Maximum half width sheet metal thickness: 16-gauge
Maximum full width sheet metal thickness: 18-gauge
Aluminum: 16-gauge
Stainless steel: 20-gauge
Brake range: 0–135°
Minimum reverse bend: 5/16"
Maximum height of pan/box brake sides: 2"
Fingers: (12), 2", 3", 4"
Footprint: 40-1/2" x 13"
Overall dimensions: 47-1/2" W x 20" D x 24" H
Approximate shipping weight: 226 lbs.
FEATURES:
Precision-ground steel fingers with hardened edges
Twelve adjustable/removable fingers

C-clamps, 2X4s or better yet steel flatbar and a hammer is what I have used. I did buy a cheap 36 inch brake last year second hand and it's faster alright.

I would find a local heating and air conditioning contractor with a sheet metal shop and have them bend whatever
I needed. Screw buying something that eats my money, takes up room in my garage, and I only use once a year.

I wanted one too. So, I built one. It will do 48"+.
I concur with using a SM shop. I have had drive shaft tunnels built for projects myself.
Mike
METAL BRAKE.JPG
IMG_2438.JPG

Puddin's fab shop channel modified a harbor freight brake that you might check out.

I had to improvise .... The lower patch panel is no longer available on the RT side. Sharpen the lower edge after weld up.

20240604_124910.jpg

20240623_200633.jpg

I have a 4 ft Diacro in my home shop. It makes short work of bends. The trick is to round up all of the necessary tooling for a job. The tooling can be expensive if you have to buy long die sets.

100_5526 (Large).JPG

The 8 footer that we got from work (its at my buddy's house). Its awesome - will bent 11 gauge steel. And it has a ton of adjustability that you don't have with the smaller cheap brakes.

Auto Transport Service
Back