• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

remove sunvisor rods

citadel

Local time
6:11 PM
Reaction score
anyone have any suggestions for removing the metal rod from the sunvisor on a 69 RR? It doesnt seem like you can pull them out by hand...

There was a thread I started on this when my rods were hanging out to far. I guess they will pull out but boy are they tough and would never believe you could get them out. Heck I could not even push them in a little bit to adjust them for my mirror.

how did you fix it? Seems like I might have to cut them off the rods.... I am wanting to install new white sunvisors

I took some vise grips and gripped on to the ends with the tips of and kept twisting them in till I got the length I wanted. I never did take them out.

I just cut them off the arms. They are clamped into a cylinder that is mounted on a wood frame. The sunvisor material wraps over the frame.

Pull out by hand

I squirted a little WD40 in, let that set for about 15 minutes and pulled them out pretty easy. Mine are 69 RR and has a two piece rod. The end with the mounting bracket cam out by hand. I used vicegrips on the other end after removing the rubber tip.

I soaked mine for hours with WD 40 and then with another chemical designed to free rsuted bolts. It was a no go.... Since I am replacing the visors anyway, I just cut them off the rods.

I cut my old visors with a razor and then used a screw driver to pry the metal channel off of the visor rod end. WD-40 would help installing the rods on the new visors.

Auto Transport Service
Back